Author Topic: CP3 to Boston (trade idea)  (Read 17589 times)

Re: CP3 to Boston (trade idea)
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 10:57:22 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
All due respect to Chris Paul, but I'm still overjoyed that  Rajon Rondo is a Celtic.  No thanks on that trade.

yeah, I wouldn't be devastated if it didn't happen or anything, but it's fun to talk about.

I still don't see who would have a better package than the Cs, though, based on just what you're saying. Rondo is a tremendous PG.

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 10:58:02 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Rather have Rondo any day, personally ... he's proven under championship pressure, CP3 hasn't been close. Pass.

Yeah - pretty much what Bakhu says. I've seen Rondo do some pretty incredible things over the last few playoff runs, and while CP3 is a top 10 talent overall, I'm just not sure he could take over a game like Rondo could.

Could he duplicate Rondo's CLE series in May?

Could he duplicate Rondo's CHI series during the playoff series in 08-09?

Could he run down a loose ball and snatch it from Jason William's grasp and make that incredible play in the ORL series?

I mean - just take over a game? More than scoring? Can CP3 do it the hard way (Defensively)?

It's these variables that raise question marks for me.

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 11:17:03 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
It doesn't make sence for the Celtics to trade for CP3 weather he's better then Rondo or not.  Point guard is the one position on the team that is Good, Young and cheap.  It's the last thing that needs an upgrade.  If the C's are going to trade thier assets (Sheed, picks, ect.) they have to get younger and better at the Wings and down low long before they get better at point guard. 

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 11:19:47 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
If we somehow manage to get CP3 and Okafur that upgrades two important positions.

I say go for it.

The KG/PP/RA window isn't going to stay open for that much longer.

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 11:20:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Rather have Rondo any day, personally ... he's proven under championship pressure, CP3 hasn't been close. Pass.

Yeah - pretty much what Bakhu says. I've seen Rondo do some pretty incredible things over the last few playoff runs, and while CP3 is a top 10 talent overall, I'm just not sure he could take over a game like Rondo could.

Could he run down a loose ball and snatch it from Jason William's grasp and make that incredible play in the ORL series?

I mean - just take over a game? More than scoring? Can CP3 do it the hard way (Defensively)?

In 07-08, the Hornets played 12 playoff games.  Chris Paul logged the tenth highest single season playoff PER ever.  I think it is safe to say he can take over playoff series.  
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 11:20:13 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
It doesn't make sence for the Celtics to trade for CP3 weather he's better then Rondo or not.  Point guard is the one position on the team that is Good, Young and cheap.  It's the last thing that needs an upgrade.  If the C's are going to trade thier assets (Sheed, picks, ect.) they have to get younger and better at the Wings and down low long before they get better at point guard. 

hmmm, not a bad point. But if we landed CP3, I think we would see more guys willing to jump in for the vet min like MIA is getting. Rondo like I said is awesome, but CP3 is higher profile and could actually take the stage away from what's going on in South Beach....

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 11:25:28 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
It doesn't make sence for the Celtics to trade for CP3 weather he's better then Rondo or not.  Point guard is the one position on the team that is Good, Young and cheap.  It's the last thing that needs an upgrade.  If the C's are going to trade thier assets (Sheed, picks, ect.) they have to get younger and better at the Wings and down low long before they get better at point guard.  

Too much common sense, ahhhhhhhhhh My Brain hurts............

Tp, Personally I think all of NBA is doomed. Heat put a team above all teams. Cp3 won't help much. He can't guard Wade or Lebron.

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 11:30:09 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
It doesn't make sence for the Celtics to trade for CP3 weather he's better then Rondo or not.  Point guard is the one position on the team that is Good, Young and cheap.  It's the last thing that needs an upgrade.  If the C's are going to trade thier assets (Sheed, picks, ect.) they have to get younger and better at the Wings and down low long before they get better at point guard.  

Too much common sense, ahhhhhhhhhh My Brain hurts............

Tp, Personally I think all of NBA is doomed. Heat put a team above all teams. Cp3 won't help much. He can't guard Wade or Lebron.

I'm a little bothered that we weren't on CPs list, so whole debate may be for naught, but I actually think it could help. I just think it is the kind of move that shakes things up just enough to elevate our game....

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 11:42:56 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

In 07-08, the Hornets played 12 playoff games.  Chris Paul logged the tenth highest single season playoff PER ever.  I think it is safe to say he can take over playoff series.  

Offensively? Sure.

Defensively?

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 11:47:24 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315

In 07-08, the Hornets played 12 playoff games.  Chris Paul logged the tenth highest single season playoff PER ever.  I think it is safe to say he can take over playoff series. 

Offensively? Sure.

Defensively?

CP3 is as good as Rondo if not better.

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 11:49:48 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

In 07-08, the Hornets played 12 playoff games.  Chris Paul logged the tenth highest single season playoff PER ever.  I think it is safe to say he can take over playoff series. 

Offensively? Sure.

Defensively?

Is he 1st Team All Defense (Rondo) better?

And if I'm not mistaken, in CP3's lone playoff series against LA, he nearly did a Houdini act..he impacted that series very little.

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 11:56:43 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Why would dream of Chris Paul over Rondo?

Championships: Rondo - 1 Paul - 0

Finals appearances: Rondo - 2  Paul - 0

No brainer that Rondo fits this team much much better.

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 12:00:36 AM »

Offline Jay G

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 17
Rondo's better than Paul XD so i don't get why you'd wanna dream this.
One Love

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 12:01:25 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Offensively? Sure.

Defensively?

And if I'm not mistaken, in CP3's lone playoff series against LA, he nearly did a Houdini act..he impacted that series very little.

Rondo's defensive prowess is a little overrated on this board I think, which is understandable..we're a Celtics Forum, not a "objective basketball forum"

But Rondo's at times sub par man defense gets over looked because he's got a defensive POY and a guy who should merit All-Defense 2nd team at center sitting in the paint to clean up his gambles.

I'm not saying CP3 is his equal on defense..I don't think he is. But I do think that CP3 and Rondo in terms of defensive ability are not worlds apart.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 12:09:12 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Offensively? Sure.

Defensively?

Rondo's defensive prowess is a little overrated on this board I think, which is understandable..we're a Celtics Forum, not a "objective basketball forum"

But Rondo's at times sub par man defense gets over looked because he's got a defensive POY and a guy who should merit All-Defense 2nd team at center sitting in the paint to clean up his gambles.

I'm not saying CP3 is his equal on defense..I don't think he is. But I do think that CP3 and Rondo in terms of defensive ability are not worlds apart.

That's true, IP - they are rather close defensively. And you are correct - our team has a defensive mindset.

I just don't know if CP3 would've gotten us past LA last month.