Author Topic: Ilya Kovalchuk  (Read 9624 times)

Ilya Kovalchuk
« on: July 20, 2010, 08:29:40 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Ilya Kovalchuk must have called RJ and gave him some friendly advice...

...the offseason of dumbness continues.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 09:47:46 AM by Fafnir »
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

Re: Richard Jefferson Opts out!?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:49:10 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

Yup it's even come to the NHL now.  What a dumb deal signing for 17 years.  Who would want to be tied up that long and what team would want to tie someone up that long. 

Obviously the Devils and Kovlachuk lol, but you know what I mean.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 10:17:51 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes

Yup it's even come to the NHL now.  What a dumb deal signing for 17 years.  Who would want to be tied up that long and what team would want to tie someone up that long. 

The 17 years contract is because of cap space. It's not like  Kovlachuk's gonna play for them till he's 44. He'll probably play till about 35-37, will get a buy out and retires. It's a win - win for both.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 11:17:41 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

The 17 years contract is because of cap space. It's not like  Kovlachuk's gonna play for them till he's 44. He'll probably play till about 35-37, will get a buy out and retires. It's a win - win for both.

Looks like the NHL is going to void that contract...  Gee, no surprise there.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 09:21:02 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

Yeah I'm not surprised about that at all either.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Re: Ilya Kovalchuk
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 09:49:01 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Split off from the Richard Jefferson thread since we didn't have one on this already.

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 09:54:34 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yeah...although contracts like that seem to happen more and more often in the NHL.  It is the main way stars get around the salary cap issues.  They get a ton of money up front, but then get paid like a million dollars a year at the end of the deal, knowing they will probably be retired by then, and it lowers the average annual value (how they calculate cap hit in NHL), making it palatable for the team.  I guess this one was extreme, but this is certainly not the first case (in fact, the Bruins just did the same thing with Savard's contract, in order to keep him to a $4 million cap hit).

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 09:55:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The NHL is going to have to add something like the NBA's over 36 rule.

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 09:59:36 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
They probably should have thought about stuff like this when they were proofing the CBA.

NBA on the other hand has every little nook and cranny covered.

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 10:39:42 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
They probably should have thought about stuff like this when they were proofing the CBA.

See, I think, as long as the team is still required to pay out the rest of the contract (which I believe they are), then there really is no problem with it.  I like loopholes like that, that allow teams to keep their best players. 

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 10:52:34 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

See, I think, as long as the team is still required to pay out the rest of the contract (which I believe they are), then there really is no problem with it.  I like loopholes like that, that allow teams to keep their best players. 

The problem I have with it is that it's handicapping franchises way down the road, when the current management probably won't be involved.

I mean, it's cool having Kovalchuk for a $6 million cap hit now; he's a great player.  However, having $6 million in your salary cap for the next 17 years -- probably long after Kovalchuk retires -- is the type of deal that can kill a franchise (especially, of course, if teams started signing multiple stars to such deals).

It's like in the NBA, when New York started cashing in all its future first rounders.  The league put in two rules:  a team can't trade first round draft picks in two consecutive future drafts, and you can't deal a first rounder in a draft that is more than seven years away.  These rules protect teams from themselves, and from bad management. 

I'd like to see the NHL close this loophole; it probably makes sense to adopt a max length of contracts (with the NBA's current max of six probably being a good place to start.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 11:12:06 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

See, I think, as long as the team is still required to pay out the rest of the contract (which I believe they are), then there really is no problem with it.  I like loopholes like that, that allow teams to keep their best players.  

The problem I have with it is that it's handicapping franchises way down the road, when the current management probably won't be involved.

I mean, it's cool having Kovalchuk for a $6 million cap hit now; he's a great player.  However, having $6 million in your salary cap for the next 17 years -- probably long after Kovalchuk retires -- is the type of deal that can kill a franchise (especially, of course, if teams started signing multiple stars to such deals).

edit: nevermind, it appears you are right.    
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:20:46 AM by Chris »

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 10:18:01 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
His contract was eventually approved.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 10:28:14 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

If it’s approved it’s because him and Savard threatened to file a lawsuit. Their contracts will be “grandfather’d” in. From this point on they wouldn’t work.

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 10:33:40 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If it’s approved it’s because him and Savard threatened to file a lawsuit. Their contracts will be “grandfather’d” in. From this point on they wouldn’t work.

Actually, the contract was renegotiated.  It's now a 15 (rather than 17) year deal, with higher annual cap hits and a higher salary later.  Also, the NHL and NHLPA negotiated new language to deal with long-term contracts in the future.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes