Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 450022 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2007, 02:13:37 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
I think a new rule should be instituted that everyone agree with my point of view, regardless of the fact I am an idiot.  I have been attempting to institute the rule at home, however, my wife does not seem to agree with the rule exept to agree that I am an idiot.

Thanks for your consideration.

Otherwise, I think Jeff and Hobbs and the guys do a great job, which is why they are all millionaires now! (I hope!)
OK, I propose that we pick one hour of one day that we can proclaim as, "ThreadCrasher Hour", and that during that hour, we will ALL wholeheartedly agree with everything ThreadCrasher says. If ya'll can figure out the right day and hour, we can put it in the site calendar.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2007, 02:26:20 PM »

Offline Smitty

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 11
Cfan3,

Is this a personal attack from one of your administrators?

"My two cents. 

If anyone really thinks they will feel better by writing a bunch of expletives on a message board because the celtics didn't get the right ping pong ball, they probably have other problems that should be dealt with."

- posted by Green17 at 9:26 last night

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Smitty

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2007, 02:41:15 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Cfan3,

Is this a personal attack from one of your administrators?

"My two cents. 

If anyone really thinks they will feel better by writing a bunch of expletives on a message board because the celtics didn't get the right ping pong ball, they probably have other problems that should be dealt with."

- posted by Green17 at 9:26 last night

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Smitty

I don't see how that's a personal attack.  It's Green17 stating his reasonable belief that anything somebody needs to be said can be said without profanity.  I think the point was, those who can't write without profanity should either invest in a thesaurus, or investigate why they have such deep-seeded feelings of frustration and anger.

If it's therapeutic for somebody to write down profanity on a message board, fine.  Posters should type all the swears they want, and get it all off their chests.  However, before that poster clicks the "Post" button, he or she should make sure that they go back and delete it (since, presumably, the therapeutic act of writing out the profanity has calmed one's nerves to the extent where they can post rationally again.) 

That's my thought on it, and I'm sure Green17 is on a similar page.  You're welcome to disagree, of course, but there's no reason to suggest that anybody is being oppressed or attacked.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2007, 03:05:11 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico
I wish discussions were more open and less regulated.

I wrote a post once calling out Celtics fans who attacked Ryan Gomes for not being onboard with the tanking.  It was intentionally incendiary because I wanted people to think hard about what right the Celtics brass has to fix games, and also about the lasting consequences of tanking.

No one was attacked individually, but I called the pro-tanking/Gomes attacking group cowardly and uncompetitive and tried to point out that Gomes was one of the few players (maybe the only one?) on our team to graduate college and seemed to actually understand that the odds of the lottory are against us getting a top two pick (which is a FACT that most people seem to breeze over).  A moderator edited out my opening paragraph because it, "attacked a group of people." 

I thought that this was a poor decision by the mod because it prevented these people from actually having to consider and defend their viewpoints from being A)Cowardly B) Non-Competive and C) Based on a poor grasp of mathematics and odds. 

My point was that we talk about Celtics Pride all the time, but when I tried to start a fiery discussion about what that actually means it was snuffed out (in my opinion) because the ideas involved weren't concrete enough, but rather based in philosophy.  Well how else can you have a conversation about an idea like "Pride" without challenging your opposition's sense of it?

In this case I thought the editing of my post prevented an important discussion from happening on this board in order to protect a majority of posters from having to defend their viewpoints on a philosophical level.
I understand what you are saying. The complications in communicating on CelticsBlog stems from the diversity and complexity of the constituency of this community. This place is not just intended to be somewhat family-friendly, but is also intended to be a safe haven along many lines that include gender, race, creed, culture, faith, socio-political and economic background and perspective as well as a multitude of other key components of the human fabric. It makes talking a little bit tricky sometimes.

Trust me on this one amigo, nobody around here is more familiar with this convoluted territory than me. I've figured out that depending upon what I say here, I can create shapes formed of human beings...circles, triangles, squares, rectangles, polygons and even extend them to third-dimensional axes. It is like something along the lines of those old choreographed swimming dance team numbers in movies from the 1940's except usually turns ugly.

On those occasions there is often little I can do to explain to folks that my intent was different from what was perceived. What such instances reveal to us is that it is important for us to communicate more effectively with one another. That begins with assertiveness. Assertiveness simply means not being overly aggressive or overly passive. It means finding a way to express oneself without alienating others but at the same time, not having to bottle up oneself either.

Learning how we may do this takes a bit of doing, but in a town this size built with the intent of providing a place where all lovers of the game of basketball can feel good about their residence and relations in this community, sensitive and effective communication is imperative. And like any physical "town", this one requires a basic form of government that is dedicated to serving the community's overall best interest.

Do we make the rules? Yes, but the rules are derived from what we know about "best-practice" government with regard to websites and what we see demonstrated daily as most healthy for this community at-large. So, that's sort of the layout of the landscape. I've worked in service as Webmaster and Host with websites that literally are the homes of communities over 100 times the size of CelticsBlog. They have far more depth of management and more strict regulation than this place. They have to have it.

What we have here is pretty close to what WE need right now. We are always looking at it. Sometimes we add new rules, practices, procedures policies and guidelines. Sometimes we remove or modify some of those we've implemented. These things have to be done. CelticsBlog is a living, organic entity and it is growing. We are just trying to nurture it in ways that represent the best interests of all here.

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2007, 06:08:03 PM »

Offline Smitty

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 11
Roy,

I don't think that I have been guilty of posting profanity on this board.  However, we need to be careful not to remove passion from our discussions.  David Stern has done a marvelous job of removing almost all displays of passion from the game which we love or used to love via his dictatorial rules.  Myself and perhaps others are a little leary of that happening to this board. 

MOST fans (according to a recent poll) find the Spurs very boring.  This is NOT good for the NBA at all.  Sure they play great fundamental basketball, but they simply are NOT exciting at all.  Boring is the only word that comes to mind.  Same with the Pistons of this era, NOT the Pistons of the early 1990s when they had some outstanding personalities such as Isaiah, Big Bill, and Rodman. 

Anything can be taken too far such as the NBA Commish deciding the Suns/Spurs series.  You guys in power need to be cautious that you do not run off the truly passionate C's fans. 

Yes, there is a difference between passion and cursing, but not always.  I come from a hyper-fundy background and they consistently majored on minor issues and missed more important issues due to that mentality.  Let's not allow this great site to follow a similar path.

That is all I am saying.

Peace,

Smitty

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2007, 09:41:08 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico
I won't be happy until we bring back negative tommy points.  Until then, i've started my own website, inspired by Florida football fans:

www.firejeffclark.com

(note: not a real site)
HAHAHAHAHAHA! There's not a day that goes by without at least one fine member of this community giving me a deep belly-laugh. Kudos, Champkind! :)

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2007, 02:42:23 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
From a newly locked thread:

how's that for democracy?

thread locked by popular opinion

shooterstouch, leave race out of it or find someplace else to post

those that want to have an intelligent discussion about race can venture over to the Off Topic forum"

Now it's just getting ridiculous here.  Barkley says worse on TNT for crying out loud. 

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2007, 03:16:02 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
and what would you have me do with that thread?

at best it was a dumb post that could go nowhere but downhill

at worst, it might have been a troll post trying to bait others into a racial arguement

bottom line is several people were offended and I'd rather err on the side of caution
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2007, 03:54:23 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen

at worst, it might have been a troll post trying to bait others into a racial arguement

bottom line is several people were offended and I'd rather err on the side of caution

As I've stated, its your site to do with as you will.  And I agree that it was a dumb post, and one easily proven wrong.  That poster has been called out for such on numerous occasions.  However, if people are going to be able to shut down threads because they get offended by something as mild as that post, you might as well forbid any mention of race ever.

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2007, 04:07:47 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

As I've stated, its your site to do with as you will.  And I agree that it was a dumb post, and one easily proven wrong.  That poster has been called out for such on numerous occasions.  However, if people are going to be able to shut down threads because they get offended by something as mild as that post, you might as well forbid any mention of race ever.

Personally, if I never had to read another "Danny loves black guys" or "Danny loves white guys" thread on this blog, I'd be very happy.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2007, 06:55:14 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen

Personally, if I never had to read another "Danny loves black guys" or "Danny loves white guys" thread on this blog, I'd be very happy.

I hear you.  I'm sure threads about the "isms" are a difficult thing for mod to have to tread through, especially since a bunch of anonymous people typing on computers isn't going to solve any of the issues or bring about any consensus.

And, honestly, I think that you are all doing a great job the vast majority of the time.  I actually tend to be quite impressed watching y'all getting the job done as well as you do.

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2007, 12:05:36 PM »

Offline Fire Doc Rivers

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
If u cant handle the stupidity of us posters, maybe u should resign ur position if its too stressful for you.  Sounds like your about to crack.  I mean man it must be really tough reading celtics posts all day.  zzzzzzzz.......zzzzzzzz.......zzzzz

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2007, 12:08:01 PM »

Offline VinBakersBartender

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
Somebody took a turn to negative town
"The only time I want to talk to a woman when I'm naked is if I'm on top of her or she's on top of me."
-- Former Tigers pitcher Jack Morris on female sportswriters

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2007, 12:08:09 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Funny post.  Please follow the rules, and please modify your sig.  Also, future topics like this should be handled via private message.  You already have several strikes against you on this blog after the April Fool's Day fiasco; I would hate to see you do something to get yourself permanently banned.

(Again, I would have preferred to handle this via private message, but if you want to air your dirty laundry out in public, be my guest.)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 12:11:12 PM by Roy Hobbs »

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2007, 12:10:57 PM »

Offline VinBakersBartender

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
Funny post.  Please follow the rules, and please modify your sig.  Also, future topics like this should be handled via private message.  You already have several strikes against you on this blog after the April Fool's Day fiasco; I would hate to see you do something to get yourself permanently banned.

As a fairly new member to this wonderful blogging site what was this about? A private message would work nicely
"The only time I want to talk to a woman when I'm naked is if I'm on top of her or she's on top of me."
-- Former Tigers pitcher Jack Morris on female sportswriters