Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 450069 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #510 on: November 28, 2009, 01:01:14 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Do we really not see the need by the mods to post gentle reminders when things are getting out of control in the thread and direct more specific, and even harsh if needed, PRIVATE messages? Some of the mods do a fantastic job of doing that and reprimand in a way that doesn't make people feel like they aren't wanted here. Others have a clear personal vendetta against certain posters and it is very clear in the difference of leash they are given and the comments back at them. If the mods in general can't see that or don't believe it then they are fooling themselves.

« Reply #511 on: November 28, 2009, 01:08:12 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
It's my opinion. I think a slight change would be welcomed by all.
You're always very non-specific, about what changes you want. Or even what you feel is wrong. I honestly do not understand what your overall dissatisfaction with this site is.

What would you even have us do? Ban posters who are down the Celtics? Shut down threads quicker? Moderate more aggressively? Or just let more things go? I really don't get it.

Yes, ban posters who are down on the Celtics. That would be great and would help make this place perfect. Also, we should be able to swear when we want and call each other names and be derogatory about the French football team and discuss drugs and violence.

« Reply #512 on: November 28, 2009, 01:10:48 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
I haven't posted on here in a really long time, maybe even years. But I check the blog religiously. Atleast 10-20 times a day I'd guess. I try to refrain from posting, but I figured I might as well throw my 2 cents in here too. Granted, I don't know the entire history between Star, Maestro and the mods, or whoever this problem seems to be between, but I read most of the threads and I do have an opinion on the matter.

I think some posters obviously have a problem with some of the ways the forums are run. Whether or not their concerns are valid or warranted is not up to me and I really don't have an opinion on that, but it seems as though at this point, some of the posts are not made with the intention of helping anything. My suggestion would be that if any posters have problems with the way the forums are run, take a break from posting, only post on topics where there won't be fights, or simply bite your tongue. There are plenty of times through out life when we have something to say, probably feel justified in the way we feel, but it is better for the situation if we don't say it. Life isn't always fair, but theres no reason to let a forum on this blog upset anyone to the point where it affects their overall morale. It's an online blog, it's privately owned (right?), and so the mods can run it however they want. It is a privilege, not a right, to post here. This is the best blog online, but its not perfect. I don't think the mods would argue it is, but I absolutely believe them that that think they're doing their best.

As for some of their concerns, I do feel some of them are valid. I have never had any problems with other posters or any mods on here, but from a 3rd party observer, there is undoubtedly an inner circle on this blog. There are the mods and the top posters, and then there is everyone else. This blog reminds me of a high school social hierarchy in a lot of ways. I think overall, the mods do a good job, but there certainly is at least some favoritism on the blog. It's human nature to favor people you like better or know better, and I think this does happen. I have no big problem with it. I just don't post all that often. It's not my blog, I don't think I should necessarily have any say in the way it is run. But I think its important to realize that neither side in this argument is entirely in the wrong. There certainly are some ways in which the mods could improve and there are certainly ways in which some posters have made disrespectful or inappropriate comments. Just remember, anyone on this blog is here because they bleed green. We all love the Celtics and that is what unites us here. Ideally, no one would post anything negative towards the site or mods in a public forum and ideally the mods would  be a little more democratic (I understand this is not a democracy, but the ideals can still exist) when it comes to dealing with certain posters.

« Reply #513 on: November 28, 2009, 01:51:33 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Good post, dpaps. You put a lot of thought in it and that deserves a TP.

I have a question, though:
Who are the "top posters" you refer to?

I don't feel particularly liked here. I may have 4000+ posts but it doesn't make me feel better or worse than any other poster. I have been in contact with mods via frequent PM's and I am even friends with some on other social sites. They treat me as they would treat any other poster here, though. I know that for a fact.

I think that maestro has a valid point. Chris is probably not proud of his post, nor should he be. We all know that you mods put in countless hours of your own time in here and I am sure there is not one poster here (out of what, almost 7000?) that doesn't appreciate that. But fair should be fair. dark_lord is probably one of the nicest guys around here. To treat him like that is just too much. Hence maestro's outcry for a "sorry, I was wrong". We may make mistakes but we can make them small mistakes if we apologize. It's what I'll teach my son. I hope it's what you teach your kids as well.

« Reply #514 on: November 28, 2009, 01:57:11 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
I haven't posted on here in a really long time, maybe even years. But I check the blog religiously. Atleast 10-20 times a day I'd guess. I try to refrain from posting, but I figured I might as well throw my 2 cents in here too. Granted, I don't know the entire history between Star, Maestro and the mods, or whoever this problem seems to be between, but I read most of the threads and I do have an opinion on the matter.

I think some posters obviously have a problem with some of the ways the forums are run. Whether or not their concerns are valid or warranted is not up to me and I really don't have an opinion on that, but it seems as though at this point, some of the posts are not made with the intention of helping anything. My suggestion would be that if any posters have problems with the way the forums are run, take a break from posting, only post on topics where there won't be fights, or simply bite your tongue. There are plenty of times through out life when we have something to say, probably feel justified in the way we feel, but it is better for the situation if we don't say it. Life isn't always fair, but theres no reason to let a forum on this blog upset anyone to the point where it affects their overall morale. It's an online blog, it's privately owned (right?), and so the mods can run it however they want. It is a privilege, not a right, to post here. This is the best blog online, but its not perfect. I don't think the mods would argue it is, but I absolutely believe them that that think they're doing their best.

As for some of their concerns, I do feel some of them are valid. I have never had any problems with other posters or any mods on here, but from a 3rd party observer, there is undoubtedly an inner circle on this blog. There are the mods and the top posters, and then there is everyone else. This blog reminds me of a high school social hierarchy in a lot of ways. I think overall, the mods do a good job, but there certainly is at least some favoritism on the blog. It's human nature to favor people you like better or know better, and I think this does happen. I have no big problem with it. I just don't post all that often. It's not my blog, I don't think I should necessarily have any say in the way it is run. But I think its important to realize that neither side in this argument is entirely in the wrong. There certainly are some ways in which the mods could improve and there are certainly ways in which some posters have made disrespectful or inappropriate comments. Just remember, anyone on this blog is here because they bleed green. We all love the Celtics and that is what unites us here. Ideally, no one would post anything negative towards the site or mods in a public forum and ideally the mods would  be a little more democratic (I understand this is not a democracy, but the ideals can still exist) when it comes to dealing with certain posters.

Excellent post dpaps... TP to you!

« Reply #515 on: November 28, 2009, 02:07:40 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
To be very clear:  Chris' comment was inappropriate.  His post was edited, and he was publicly warned.  We don't generally publicly comment on disciplinary matters, but I will say that Chris has a long track record of serving this site in a very positive way. 

Chris has privately apologized to the staff, and suggested to us that he publicly apologize, as well.  At this point, we advised him it's better to just let this blow over, but be aware that he feels bad.

However, let me be clear: if a mod has a moment of weakness, it does not justify other rule-breaking behavior by our membership.

One last thing:  if certain posters hate this blog so much, I would strongly encourage them to find another place to post at.  Constructive criticism is always welcome; attacks on this site for no reason other than to bash it aren't.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #516 on: November 28, 2009, 02:10:46 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
To quote the Notorious BIG... "Can't we just all get along?"

« Reply #517 on: November 28, 2009, 02:15:22 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
"One last thing:  if certain posters hate this blog so much, I would strongly encourage them to find another place to post at.  Constructive criticism is always welcome; attacks on this site for no reason other than to bash it aren't."

I never said I hated CelticsBlog and I've never bashed it. I may feel that some stuff could be dealt with differently (which, by the way, was the reason for my little break earlier this year) but that's just my opinion. There's a reason I have more than 5 posts a day and it's not because I hate it. I know this is Jeff's site and his rules we play by.

« Reply #518 on: November 28, 2009, 02:23:28 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
"One last thing:  if certain posters hate this blog so much, I would strongly encourage them to find another place to post at.  Constructive criticism is always welcome; attacks on this site for no reason other than to bash it aren't."

I never said I hated CelticsBlog and I've never bashed it. I may feel that some stuff could be dealt with differently (which, by the way, was the reason for my little break earlier this year) but that's just my opinion. There's a reason I have more than 5 posts a day and it's not because I hate it. I know this is Jeff's site and his rules we play by.

I didn't single out any posters.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #519 on: November 28, 2009, 02:30:05 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan

I didn't single out any posters.

I know and I didn't say you did, Roy. I was only speaking for myself.

« Reply #520 on: November 28, 2009, 03:44:02 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I'll have to admit that I havent read much of what has been written in this thread. I would also like to say that I feel that there are far too many bloggers? who openly 'attack' comments from members. It is certainly understandable that we are all not going to agree, however, there are certain ways to say it and certain ways not too. So often, I read another poster saying someone is crazy, stupid, or whatever other disparaging adjective they choose to use in an unquestionable condescending way. All this does is create animosity among memebers. I mean, if you like the idea of adding A.I. to the squad and someone else doesnt simply say I disagree or you dont really even have to say that. Just my opinion.

« Reply #521 on: November 28, 2009, 04:15:14 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

I have a comment, but I won't make it =)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #522 on: November 28, 2009, 09:54:35 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE

Please do, I'm interested.

« Reply #523 on: November 28, 2009, 11:10:04 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

just thinking the all getting along thing didn't go very well for Christopher Wallace...
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #524 on: November 29, 2009, 12:20:15 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE

just thinking the all getting along thing didn't go very well for Christopher Wallace...

lol in this case it's the statement, not the man.