Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 451867 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #495 on: August 24, 2009, 03:21:35 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
"I just wish some of the Celticsbloggers would show that same class as the men who wear the green themselves"

That is the comment, take it how you want to.    Don't tell me what I'm trying to say.  If you can't live up to the expectations that the Celtics players live up to, that is your choice.  If you want to take it negatively go ahead.  That is not what I wrote.  Nobody can spin my words. 

When literally *everyone* takes what you say in a negative fashion, its not spinning--you're the one who's spinning it, and for these reasons:

1. To make us look like the bad guys

2. To Stay out of trouble after making a remark that is against the rules

3. And because you have a distinct and inherent need to disagree with anything anyone says unless it supports your point.

Please stop being a contrarian, and please stop getting into these "me vs. the world" fights. They are so tiresome.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #496 on: August 24, 2009, 03:37:48 AM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
You're saying I'm "obviously doing that".  I'm not "obviously doing that".  I don't agree with your 3 points.  I'm not trying to make anyone look like the bad guys.  Its not everyone. Its some people who respond.  If you don't respond nothing happens. If you don't want to tell me I am as good as the pros, don't tell me that when I say the Celtics players are more "classy" than others, that that automatically implies that the "others" are looked at in a negative fashion.  If so, then why would you insist that I am not as "classy" as the pros. 

« Reply #497 on: August 24, 2009, 05:23:05 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Deleted.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 06:35:47 AM by Roy Hobbs »

« Reply #498 on: August 24, 2009, 04:34:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Deleted.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 06:35:21 AM by Roy Hobbs »

« Reply #499 on: August 27, 2009, 01:33:47 AM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
Deleted.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 06:35:01 AM by Roy Hobbs »

« Reply #500 on: August 27, 2009, 02:11:42 AM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
[Deleted.]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 06:34:41 AM by Roy Hobbs »

« Reply #501 on: August 27, 2009, 06:33:57 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Last warning:  This thread is for discussion of the rules, and staff actions / policy.  It is not the place to re-argue past threads.  Everybody, please stop with the current argument related to the "what it takes to be a professional athlete" thread.

I note that this is my second public warning in this regard.  There won't be a third one.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #502 on: November 28, 2009, 12:09:51 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
[quote from: celticmaestro on Today at 17:00:22]
Why remove my post and not Chris's?

A public explanation would be nice as to why a mod can call a poster an "elitist jerk" and get away with it.

Am I not entitled to my opinion? Like I said, I feel as though most of the mods are elitist jerks? What of it? Lead by example, mods. If I can't say it and get away with it why can you?

If you want to move this post and start a new thread, by all means do that. But removing it only serves to prove my point. You're all as dodgy as the Bush administration. Not something to be proud of.
A staff member did try to split this topic but with the recent changes to the forum, another error was discovered.  The split info was lost. 

As for the staff hiding things, since when.  We have whole threads with posters making comments on what we do, and we never hide it.  (and if we wanted to hide things, the first thing hidden would have been that post)

The staff never does public explanation of any issue dealing with a member and any rules infraction. 

But please, continue trying to make this site a war between "staff" and the "rest".  It really makes this site so much better when you try and create different groups. 

So far we have the "Mods" and "Us"

the "Negative posters" and the "Positive posters"

Did I forget any? 

Oh yea, blast from the past

"Doc haters" vs "Doc appologists"

Meanwhile this post is doing nothing for us.  There for I am going to lock it.

If you want to talk about Rondo, feel free to start a new thread.

If you want to talk about the staff, feel free to continue in the tread already in place to do that.
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=4046.0

I understand you deal with these things privately. But a public admission of "we were wrong" would go a long way to clear up these "groups" you speak of. But clearly you get off on these "groups", as you pretty much just admitted. And that, is a sorry state of affairs and makes me question you as a responsible mod. It's your job to moderate, not dictate. You should be modest, not arrogant.

Nothing wrong with swallowing pride, and bending rules for a good cause (I mean, you guys bend the rules when it suits you anyway), but you all refuse to do that.

So many good posters have spoken out against the way this site is run and others have left or been banned. To me, your behavior doesn't make sense and there's no consistency.

I'm sure this will be ignored or removed or replied to in a condescending way. But then you would come across as being "elitist jerks" (it's great being able to quote mods - because surely you wouldn't have the audacity to discipline me for quoting one of your own).

« Reply #503 on: November 28, 2009, 12:21:17 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Regardless of who you are, and how you feel, calling another member a "elitist jerk" is wrong.

I believe there was some sort of warning left in the thread.

Yup

« Reply #504 on: November 28, 2009, 12:29:34 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Regardless of who you are, and how you feel, calling another member a "elitist jerk" is wrong.

This is why I say "some" mods and not "all" mods. You help bridge the gap, Redz.

« Reply #505 on: November 28, 2009, 12:32:42 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

A public explanation would be nice as to why a mod can call a poster an "elitist jerk" and get away with it.

Am I not entitled to my opinion? Like I said, I feel as though most of the mods are elitist jerks? What of it? Lead by example, mods. If I can't say it and get away with it why can you?

If you want to move this post and start a new thread, by all means do that. But removing it only serves to prove my point. You're all as dodgy as the Bush administration. Not something to be proud of.
A staff member did try to split this topic but with the recent changes to the forum, another error was discovered.  The split info was lost. 

As for the staff hiding things, since when.  We have whole threads with posters making comments on what we do, and we never hide it.  (and if we wanted to hide things, the first thing hidden would have been that post)

The staff never does public explanation of any issue dealing with a member and any rules infraction. 

But please, continue trying to make this site a war between "staff" and the "rest".  It really makes this site so much better when you try and create different groups. 

Did I forget any? 

If you want to talk about the staff, feel free to continue in the tread already in place to do that.

I understand you deal with these things privately. But a public admission of "we were wrong" would go a long way to clear up these "groups" you speak of. But clearly you get off on these "groups", as you pretty much just admitted. And that, is a sorry state of affairs and makes me question you as a responsible mod. It's your job to moderate, not dictate. You should be modest, not arrogant.

Nothing wrong with swallowing pride, and bending rules for a good cause (I mean, you guys bend the rules when it suits you anyway), but you all refuse to do that.

So many good posters have spoken out against the way this site is run and others have left or been banned. To me, your behavior doesn't make sense and there's no consistency.

I'm sure this will be ignored or removed or replied to in a condescending way. But then you would come across as being "elitist jerks" (it's great being able to quote mods - because surely you wouldn't have the audacity to discipline me for quoting one of your own).

Once again, we do not discuss with the whole blog any member and rules.  

And now you are trying to bait the staff.

Look at me.  I am breaking a rule multiple times to prove that the staff is against us.  Please suspend me or ban me so I can prove my point.  

Look through your own posts.  Ever since you quit the blog and then came back, the majority of your posts have been to complain about the staff or members that have a different point of view.  

If you are so unhappy with this site, why do you come here?  Just to complain?  

You are upset with the staff.  We get it.  You don't like us.  We get it.

We get it, but we are not changing.  We will continue to work the way we have.  We are happy with the majority of the conversations taking place on this site (which has nothing to do whether or not we agree with what is being said)

« Reply #506 on: November 28, 2009, 12:33:09 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Did I forget any? 

It's the stuff in red that makes it difficult to have a conversation at this point.  Since your return to this site you clearly have a preset agenda, and a set of expectations on how you will be received.  That's fine, but what good is expressing it repeatedly doing. By stating your negative expectations you're pretty much guaranteeing you'll get the results you expect.

Take a look at your posts of late and tell me exactly how many don't carry some level of a pointed jab towards the site, its staff,  or its membership.

I'm perfectly willing to admit that what Chris said was wrong, but if you and DL can take an honest look at the amount of posts you've made about how this place sucks now, and how things used to be better, and how certain members are the only reason I still come around this place etc...then you might see how your comments could lead to the perception Chris had.

Doesn't excuse it though.

Yup

« Reply #507 on: November 28, 2009, 12:36:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I do too because I left it.

I understand you deal with these things privately. But a public admission of "we were wrong" would go a long way to clear up these "groups" you speak of.

Wrong about what? What are you talking about?

But clearly you get off on these "groups", as you pretty much just admitted. And that, is a sorry state of affairs and makes me question you as a responsible mod. It's your job to moderate, not dictate. You should be modest, not arrogant.

You throw words around like arrogant, dictate..but what are you? Are you a guy who has spent literally thousands of hours working to make these forums better? Then, you want fair and equal discourse, yet you lob salvos across our bow. We don't get paid, we don't get reimbursed, we do this crap because we love this site and this community, and all you're giving back to us is a giant freaking crap sandwich. Honestly I'm sick of it. You're the one who needs a look in the mirror.

Why don't you go to another site than? You left for months and you know what? The site still ran. It didn't burn and it didn't crumble. People came together. We talked, amicably even. We got along. These are the rules. This is how things are done.

We've listened to you, we've tried to talk to you, and to be completely honest I can think of a few times we've given you quite a bit of leeway because frankly, we LIKE you. But if you hate us so much, I invite you to not let the door hit your arse on the way out.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #508 on: November 28, 2009, 12:48:52 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
So now I'm the big bad wolf?

As people, I don't dislike you. As mods, some of you are sloppy. It's my opinion. I think a slight change would be welcomed by all.

There's so much anger which just sprays in every direction from a lot of posters. Me included. I've made complaints about the mods because I think it's something that should be addressed. It's not an agenda and it's not a vendetta.

At the end of the day, I've addressed it privately and publicly and this is probably the best (in terms of most direct) response I've gotten. I appreciate that. Communication is everything. Granted, you "will continue to work the way you have", so, people will continue to fly in the face of this "democracy of hypocrisy".

And yes, I took a hiatus and the site didn't crash and burn. Of course not, why would it? But if I do decide to leave, I'll make sure I leave through a sliding door to prevent any impact on my probably bear behind.

« Reply #509 on: November 28, 2009, 01:01:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
It's my opinion. I think a slight change would be welcomed by all.
You're always very non-specific, about what changes you want. Or even what you feel is wrong. I honestly do not understand what your overall dissatisfaction with this site is.

What would you even have us do? Ban posters who are down the Celtics? Shut down threads quicker? Moderate more aggressively? Or just let more things go? I really don't get it.