Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 450144 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #465 on: August 17, 2009, 08:17:32 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
This is a serious question. But what do you do when a mod is breaking the above rules? Doesn't that leave the lowly poster defenseless?

Report him to the other mods.  From our rules:

Quote from: Celticsblog Rules
Interactions with Celticsblog Staff:
  • Respect and obey moderators and administrators at all times.
  • If a member of the staff asks you to do something that you find objectionable, the proper course of action is to comply, and then write either that staff member or another member of the staff a private message indicating your disagreement, and the basis thereof.
  • Celticsblog rules, and the application thereof, can be discussed in the dedicated thread stickied at the top of the Comments / Suggestions forum.  All such commentary should be confined to that thread; it is inappropriate to start a new thread for purposes of “calling out” the staff, either by name or collectively.
  • Do not delete or edit out warnings / staff edits that have been made to your post without staff permission.
  • No matter what you may believe to the contrary, it is highly unlikely that anything done on this blog is violating your First Amendment rights.  The full text of the First Amendment can be found here.  Nothing in such Amendment applies to the restriction of speech by non-government entities or actors, including the staff of this blog.
  • Please use the “alert a moderator” button to alert the staff to any inappropriate content or discussion.  If you have a question related to the blog or the blog rules, or have a general comment about a thread, it is more appropriate to reach out to a member of the staff via private message rather than via the "alert a moderator" function.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #466 on: August 17, 2009, 08:18:11 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
This is a serious question. But what do you do when a mod is breaking the above rules? Doesn't that leave the lowly poster defenseless?

No

You report the mod

and staff will weight it in quorum.

This is not a one man moderated thing

and believe me, more times than the ones u think
we will do the right thing

Edgar ( as a mod )

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #467 on: August 17, 2009, 08:20:02 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Ok well I did that. I think there might be an order to how much power some mods have though. I know obviously it goes jeff, roy, but then I have no idea who comes next.

« Reply #468 on: August 17, 2009, 08:20:42 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245

No

You report the mod

and staff will weight it in quorum.

This is not a one man moderated thing

and believe me, more times than the ones u think
we will do the right thing

Edgar ( as a mod )

Thank you edgar.

« Reply #469 on: August 17, 2009, 08:21:51 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Ok well I did that. I think there might be an order to how much power some mods have though. I know obviously it goes jeff, roy, but then I have no idea who comes next.

to be honest is

Edgar then Jeff then the rest... :P

:-X

p.s. In my mind of course.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #470 on: August 17, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

There's not really an "order", but staff positions are as follows:

Jeff Clark -- The head honcho
Green 17 -- Managing Editor (front page)
Roy Hobbs -- Forums Manager
wdleehi -- Assistant Forums Manager
Edgar -- Moderator / Spanish Forums Moderator
Chris -- Moderator
IndeedProceed -- Moderator
Donoghus -- Moderator
Redz -- Moderator
Steve Weinman - Author/Moderator

There also are a number of chat mods, who don't get as involved in the forums.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 09:01:35 PM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #471 on: August 17, 2009, 08:38:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Can I make a suggestion that some of this be moved to a rules and suggestions thread. Just a thought

Oh and remember voting isn't closed so vote:

« Reply #472 on: August 17, 2009, 08:39:47 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Chris -- Moderator
Donoghus -- Moderator
Redz -- Moderator

Yeah! Seventh seed!

Did we fire Steve W? I knew he was skimming Tommy Points from day one.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #473 on: August 17, 2009, 09:02:15 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Chris -- Moderator
Donoghus -- Moderator
Redz -- Moderator

Yeah! Seventh seed!

Doh!  I forgot the Daily Babbler!

Also, to show that memory goes with old age...  who did we hire first, Dons or Redz?

« Reply #474 on: August 17, 2009, 09:06:27 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Chris -- Moderator
Donoghus -- Moderator
Redz -- Moderator

Yeah! Seventh seed!

Also, to show that memory goes with old age...  who did we hire first, Dons or Redz?

Dons.  I remember talking with him about giving the scary clown power.

« Reply #475 on: August 17, 2009, 09:08:41 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Chris -- Moderator
Donoghus -- Moderator
Redz -- Moderator

Yeah! Seventh seed!

That's what I thought.

Also, of course, the longest serving moderator on the board is Chris.   

« Reply #476 on: August 17, 2009, 09:18:18 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Chris -- Moderator
Donoghus -- Moderator
Redz -- Moderator

Yeah! Seventh seed!

That's what I thought.

Also, of course, the longest serving moderator on the board is Chris.   

The 9th seed out of the Cape Cod bracket would totally take you all down in a Royal Rumble!  ;D

Yup

« Reply #477 on: August 24, 2009, 01:13:20 AM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Roy, whatever happened in the last thread about What does it take to become a pro athlete, was the same thing that happened in my See What Happens when the Cavs play Competition thread of earlier this year.  I came on the blog and pointed out all these stats and facts about the Magic and the Cavs that basically showed the Magic were on the same level as the Cavs.   I got laughed at, and insulted. 95% of the posts talked negatively about me and what I posted about.   Then, you came on the thread and accused me of breaking the rules first and insulting people when I do not believe that to be the case.  After the Magic won, it seemed people were getting madder and madder at me, because they didn't want to admit that I knew what I was talking about.  I wasn't looking for an I told you so thread, I just wanted to see people's reaction after the Magic won the series. I believe that everything I write is positive and is posted to have fun and enjoyment and to give out facts and opinions.   

The same thing just happened in this thread.  Posters came on and said they were laughing at me, yet I was the first person accused of breaking the rules when I said that "you people believe the media".  I just think that sometimes you are taking what I am saying and spinning it into something it is not.   And also, why are you not coming to my defense first if I am the one who is being insulted first. 

It is also the same thing that happens on this blog to Tony Allen.  Anyone can go on and insult this guy and you get praised by other bloggers.  You, yourself even made a reference once to Tony Allen's mother which seems to be a much worse insult than anything I ever said.  Yet insulting Tony Allen also seems to be OK.

I'm not trying to continue any of my previous discussions in thread form, I am just trying to have my voice be heard where I feel that I was wrongfully accused of doing something wrong.   And if I post on another totally different thread in the future and it gets "locked", I will just take it as what I was saying was 100% correct and people were not treating me properly.  That is how I take this What does it take to be a pro athlete thread.    I was talking about how if you can't play on the court, nobody will really see how good you are, and if the thread gets locked nobody can read what I am talking about.   That is the same thing.

Again, if I go on a thread like the ORL-CAVS thread, or being a pro athlete thread with logical statements that combine fact and opinion, I should not be laughed at and told that what I am talking about is so wacky and "out there" that anyone can come on and insult me and my ideas.  There should be something in the rules about that, because if anyone is breaking the rules it is the posters who come on and tell me that what I am saying is laughable and they then use that to insult me with no facts or logical statements to back it up.

And one last thing I got the Orlando series right 4 games to 2, and who knows maybe one day I could have a chance at the NBA, but after reading what many posters have posted there is less of a chance that I will even try because as you can see I am not getting a fair chance. 

« Reply #478 on: August 24, 2009, 01:28:33 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
A few things, star:

1) First and foremost, just because a thread is locked does not mean the staff was condemning the original poster of that thread.  As I explained, the thread was locked because it was going nowhere, was becoming repetitive, and was starting to trend toward personal insults.  No particular poster was singled out in the decision to lock the thread.

2) Regarding the Cleveland / Orlando thread, that thread was locked (several months ago) because it's general tone was of an "I told you so" nature.  Such posts are not permitted by the rules.

3) Thank you for posting this in here.

« Reply #479 on: August 24, 2009, 01:39:32 AM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Ok I understand what you are talking about.   

When those 2 threads were closed I thought that it was an insult to me because nobody believed what I was talking about.  So now I understand it wasn't only because of what I wrote, it was what other posters were doing as well.   

Because when that ORL-CLE thread got closed I thought it was because people couldn't handle the fact that the Cavs lost.
And when this thread got closed I thought it was because people think I have no chance to be a great basketball player.

Although closing the thread may look to other posters that I was the one in the wrong.  Not that I am trying to persuade other posters to believe certain things, but I do believe that overall people are negative to people who have new or different ideas from the mainstream.

I do feel that if I went up to Doc, or Kevin, or Paul, or Rajon that they wouldn't treat me like those posters did, and would actually encourage me to play.  That is why I am a Celtics fan, and do believe that I may try for an organized team eventually, because I know that if I went up to Danny or Doc they would respect me and want me to succeed. And if I really wasn't a good basketball player they would let me see that on the court, instead of how these other posters are criticizing my game and my ideas without even seeing me play.  That is why I think the Celtics are the right team and the right guys for basketball and for sports.  I just wish some of the Celticsbloggers would show that same class as the men who wear the green themselves.