Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 450232 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #450 on: July 23, 2009, 08:52:20 AM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
we went back and forth on that for a long time (religion/politics) and decided to let it be discussed

I however, want to run a PG, family friendly site, so adult film discussion is not what we're looking for here

my choice, blame me if you like

Jeff,

When necessary, I have been highly complimentary and I have been critical -- the key thing with either is not to take either too personally...thus I am not a big fan of assigning blame.

A few months ago my nose was bent out of shape because the mods determined that a post of mine was "not family friendly", and for a lack of a better term that really got me steamed, because I am pretty sure there's no one on this site more family friendly than I.  (equally - sure, but more, not a chance  :))

As I responded to Roy, it does none of us any good to rehash that event.  So I will stick with my belief that I find allowing one issue - an issue you agree with - to be discussed and not allowing other issues (and my issue was not p0rn, it was current events) not to be discussed, hypocritical at best.  I will also continue to believe that this is your playground and if we want to play here, we have to play by your rules...even if we roll our eyes while doing so.
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #451 on: July 23, 2009, 08:59:50 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
then feel free to roll your eyes and call me hypocritical if you like
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #452 on: July 23, 2009, 09:00:43 AM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
then feel free to roll your eyes and call me hypocritical if you like

TP
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #453 on: July 24, 2009, 12:24:22 PM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
We don't allow discussion of the attractiveness / sex appeal of public figures, so this might be a tough thread to have.

May I ask why?

« Reply #454 on: July 24, 2009, 12:31:16 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I moved your question here thebirdman.

(a perusal of some of the discussion below will probably answer your question better than I can)
Yup

« Reply #455 on: August 13, 2009, 03:41:39 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Umm.

Have you ever driven drunk?
Do you do drugs?

Thin line.

« Reply #456 on: August 13, 2009, 04:31:43 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Umm.

Do you do drugs?

Thin line.

Don't normally hop in on rules threads and such, but this to me is a very valid point.

Tough call though.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #457 on: August 13, 2009, 04:33:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Umm.

Do you do drugs?

Thin line.

Don't normally hop in on rules threads and such, but this to me is a very valid point.

Tough call though.

The big distinction is that drunk driving isn't specifically prohibited by our rules, but discussion of personal drug use and discussion related to legalization is.  It's a long-standing thing.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #458 on: August 13, 2009, 04:35:12 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Umm.

Do you do drugs?

Thin line.

Tough call though.

The big distinction is that drunk driving isn't specifically prohibited by our rules, but discussion of personal drug use and discussion related to legalization is.  It's a long-standing thing.

i hear u hobbsy, but looking at the big picture, driving drunk and using illicit drugs are both illegal.  to me, they are in the same category. 

« Reply #459 on: August 13, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Umm.

Do you do drugs?

Thin line.

Tough call though.

i hear u hobbsy, but looking at the big picture, driving drunk and using illicit drugs are both illegal.  to me, they are in the same category. 

Seeing this now, I think it's a fair point, and points more to the notion that we should not have allowed the drunk driving thread, than it does that we should allow a drug use thread.

In retrospect I think it's valid that the DD shouldn't have been allowed. 

At least that's how I'll look at it, and will in the future for similar topics.

Yup

« Reply #460 on: August 13, 2009, 05:16:29 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
Umm.

Do you do drugs?

Thin line.

Tough call though.

Seeing this now, I think it's a fair point, and points more to the notion that we should not have allowed the drunk driving thread, than it does that we should allow a drug use thread.

In retrospect I think it's valid that the DD shouldn't have been allowed. 

At least that's how I'll look at it, and will in the future for similar topics.

i hear u redz and agree.

« Reply #461 on: August 13, 2009, 05:41:22 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Umm.

Do you do drugs?

Thin line.

Tough call though.

Yeah, like I said, the only major difference is that one is specifically disallowed.  We've had a lot more problems with people talking about how drugs are cool and taking threads off-topic, than we have about alcohol use.

That being said, I basically agree with what Redz said, in that sharing personal stories of drunk driving is similar to sharing stories about drug use.  There's a difference, but not a huge one.

Obviously, though, the argument that "you allowed one, so you have to allow the other" is not a persuasive one.  Discussions of drug use are specifically prohibited by our rules, and we have to enforce them as written.  The ban on discussion of drug use / legalization of drugs is a long-standing rule, and one we've enforced clearly in the past.

Another thing:  I know people get offended whenever there threads are locked.  However, we can't play favorites, we can't keep threads up because we think they're interesting, and we can't decline to lock a thread because somebody has put a lot of work into them.  If a topic is prohibited by the rules, we're not going to allow it.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #462 on: August 13, 2009, 05:42:56 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
Umm.

Do you do drugs?

Thin line.

Tough call though.

Yeah, like I said, the only major difference is that one is specifically disallowed.  We've had a lot more problems with people talking about how drugs are cool and taking threads off-topic, than we have about alcohol use.

That being said, I basically agree with what Redz said, in that sharing personal stories of drunk driving is similar to sharing stories about drug use.  There's a difference, but not a huge one.

Obviously, though, the argument that "you allowed one, so you have to allow the other" is not a persuasive one.  Discussions of drug use are specifically prohibited by our rules, and we have to enforce them as written.  The ban on discussion of drug use / legalization of drugs is a long-standing rule, and one we've enforced clearly in the past.

Another thing:  I know people get offended whenever there threads are locked.  However, we can't play favorites, we can't keep threads up because we think they're interesting, and we can't decline to lock a thread because somebody has put a lot of work into them.  If a topic is prohibited by the rules, we're not going to allow it.

its all good hobbsy

« Reply #463 on: August 13, 2009, 05:44:39 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Umm.

Do you do drugs?

Thin line.

Tough call though.

But I thought I was your favorite? :( :'(

« Reply #464 on: August 17, 2009, 08:13:31 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
This is a serious question. But what do you do when a mod is breaking the above rules? Doesn't that leave the lowly poster defenseless?