Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 450094 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #420 on: June 16, 2009, 11:18:09 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
PUSA? What is that some abbreviation for president of the United States that looks like a different word that some might think of our president's fortitude?

I think this one is a fairly common abbreviation.  I normally see it POTUS, but to me it's the same difference.

Obama-rama-lama-damma-ding-dong?

I haven't seen this one, other than a hypothetical in this thread, but it's better not to use *any* nicknames for political figures, especially our own political figures.  Abbreviations aren't such a big problem, in my opinion.

(The "BHO" one is fairly immature, in my opinion, and takes away from a poster's point.  However, it's Obama's full name, so have at it.)

Please move further discussion of this particular topic over the "Comments / Remarks" forum, as we're getting off-topic.

I would assume one could use respectful nicknames like the Gipper or Honest Abe, but I could see why people wouldn't want that. It could even come off sarcastic with no other langauge cues.

I was thinking of that song cause lately I saw a muppet bit with all these lambs and rams singing that song. I think it was the episode with the characters from Star Wars.

« Reply #421 on: June 16, 2009, 11:21:59 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
PUSA? What is that some abbreviation for president of the United States that looks like a different word that some might think of our president's fortitude?

I think this one is a fairly common abbreviation.  I normally see it POTUS, but to me it's the same difference.

I haven't seen this one, other than a hypothetical in this thread, but it's better not to use *any* nicknames for political figures, especially our own political figures.  Abbreviations aren't such a big problem, in my opinion.

(The "BHO" one is fairly immature, in my opinion, and takes away from a poster's point.  However, it's Obama's full name, so have at it.)

Please move further discussion of this particular topic over the "Comments / Remarks" forum, as we're getting off-topic.

I would assume one could use respectful nicknames like the Gipper or Honest Abe, but I could see why people wouldn't want that. It could even come off sarcastic with no other langauge cues.

I was thinking of that song cause lately I saw a muppet bit with all these lambs and rams singing that song. I think it was the episode with the characters from Star Wars.

You're getting at the reason why the formal restriction is only on "disparaging" nicknames.  "The Gipper", "W", etc. are often said with respect, and aren't meant to insult anybody.  That's why it's not necessarily practical to have bright line rules in some of these areas.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #422 on: June 16, 2009, 11:23:56 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
How about

http://baller-in-chief.com/ ?

I like it.

« Reply #423 on: June 16, 2009, 11:33:01 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #424 on: June 16, 2009, 11:36:38 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

« Reply #425 on: June 16, 2009, 11:37:03 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I have never seen the abbreviation PUSA used for the President of the United States. POTUS I have seen before. I still think it was a shot at calling President Obama a name by those who are anti-Obama(or as that OP put it, BHO, who he is CLEARLY against)especially considering that after that the OP went on to discuss that the president would be doing nothing and that seems to be a common attacking point of Obama's detractors.

I just don't see why posters have to go there, if indeed he was. Why can't we just discuss the issues without the digs. Hey, if you are against Obama's stance on soemthing say so but there's no reason for the veiled shots at the leader of the other political party.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 11:49:44 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #426 on: June 16, 2009, 11:38:58 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

You're getting at the reason why the formal restriction is only on "disparaging" nicknames.  "The Gipper", "W", etc. are often said with respect, and aren't meant to insult anybody.  That's why it's not necessarily practical to have bright line rules in some of these areas.

true. Spirit of the rules issues have their place. Also President Rose Bush was a stupid example. He has nothing to do with roses. Except the Rose Garden.

Are we allowed to make disparaging comments about people nobody likes, like Bernie Madoff, Stalin, and Barry Bonds?  Maybe Bonds isn't universally disliked enough. If someone did this I'd just expect a non-call from the mods. Jeff's example of mods as refs is making more sense to me now

« Reply #427 on: June 16, 2009, 11:47:29 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #428 on: June 16, 2009, 11:50:33 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I have never seen the abbreviation PUSA used for the President of the United States. POTUS I have seen before. I still think it was a shot at calling President Obama a name by those who are anti-Obama(or as that OP put it, BHO, who he is CLEARLY against)especially considering that after that the OP went on to discuss that the president would be doing nothing and that seems to be a common attacking point of Obama's detractors.

I just don't see why posters have to go there, if indeed he was. Why can't we just discuss the issues with the digs. Hey, if you are against Obama's stance on soemthing say so but there's no reason for the veiled shots at the leader of the other political party.

I've seen POTUS before but never until this moment did I know what it meant. I thought it was a vaguely religious sounding term, with a strong hint of authority and just a glimmer of austentacious ceremony. Potus. Potus Jean Paul the Second. Sounds about right.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #429 on: June 16, 2009, 12:24:45 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I have never seen the abbreviation PUSA used for the President of the United States.

Link:  http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/President+of+the+United+States+of+America

Regardless of whether it was meant as an insult, it's a validly recognized acronym. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #430 on: June 16, 2009, 12:42:08 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Oh wait. Now I remember what I was thinking. I could see someone getting upset if one group gets to use a respectful nickname for their guy like "the Decider" or something for Bush, and the other group can't use their nickname. Hence if you are suggesting no nicknames, then I could see that

« Reply #431 on: June 16, 2009, 01:07:43 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

true. Spirit of the rules issues have their place. Also President Rose Bush was a stupid example. He has nothing to do with roses. Except the Rose Garden.

Are we allowed to make disparaging comments about people nobody likes, like Bernie Madoff, Stalin, and Barry Bonds?  Maybe Bonds isn't universally disliked enough. If someone did this I'd just expect a non-call from the mods. Jeff's example of mods as refs is making more sense to me now

But why must we make disparaging comments? Why can't we just debate the issues based on our views, which is what 99% of the posts in the current events forum do, from both sides of the isle?

I have never once seen any action takin in the curent events forum for debunking a stance made by a political figure or poster using a fact based argument. Thats diffrent than posts like this:

It is very easy to win a discussion with liberals. Just keep pointing to the facts and eventually they will walk away. The only way they can argue is with blanket statements and twisted stats.

are not productive, and directly disparage a group for no reason with no facts. It's the same with qoutes like from the left leaning posters:

The world thought he did, but he didnt.  I dont doubt that he hoodwinked everyone, because he did.  Their is never a single reason for going to war, but the WMD's that he supposedly had was a large justifying reason that was advanced.

Those are both blanket statements that have no factual basis and do nothing but attempt to stir up the other side. Those are clearly not allowed, and both were dealt with (names removed because it's not important).

But well argued posts that debunk people/ polocies like this:

What it suggests to me is one more administration that is going to put corruption, patronage, and partisanship ahead of the American people.  Obama has a real opportunity here -- he's got more "political capital" than any president since Reagan, at the very least -- and now he's set about a course of destroying that good will by appointing corrupt cronies to positions of power.  Yes, results matter, but so does transparency, integrity, and the rule of law.

Interestingly, people weren't using the "results matter" logic when they were criticizing Bush for taking away civil rights in the name of protecting against terrorism.  I've been encouraged to see the broad disappointment in this thread; if more of the American people showed the integrity of left-leaning folks like SSF4.0, nick, Chris, and others, Obama would be forced to do something about this.  Unfortunately, though, most Americans couldn't care less, and that's why we're going to have one more administration of shameful government.

That gets the poster's point across and his concerns about the current political climate without resulting to namecalling, but rather relying on actually addressing the issues.

It's a fine line, polotics do get heated, and i think the mods do a good job walking it.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #432 on: June 16, 2009, 01:15:38 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Oh wait. Now I remember what I was thinking. I could see someone getting upset if one group gets to use a respectful nickname for their guy like "the Decider" or something for Bush, and the other group can't use their nickname. Hence if you are suggesting no nicknames, then I could see that

Well, they shouldn't get upset at that.  The goal is to keep things civil here.  I have never heard of someone getting upset or offended by using a respectful nickname for someone, however, it can incite flame-wars, if people start throwing out disrespectful nicknames.

« Reply #433 on: June 16, 2009, 01:23:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Well, they shouldn't get upset at that.  The goal is to keep things civil here.  I have never heard of someone getting upset or offended by using a respectful nickname for someone, however, it can incite flame-wars, if people start throwing out disrespectful nicknames.

I didn't think of it that way. Plus to me if you are uncivil towards a politician that doesn't mean you're being disrespectful to others, but I could see how others wouldn't agree. I get annoyed when people attack what I like, but I always felt like if I could do it back then it was fair.

« Reply #434 on: June 16, 2009, 01:26:31 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
I've been following this discussion for a while now and Crownsy's excerpts and explanations are clarifying and helpful. 

It boils down to showing a little respect to your readers.  Calling someone names is not persuasive.  We can offer opinions on motives and still be respectful. All it takes is a little self control.  We can offer opinions on policies with the understanding that reasonable people can disagree.  Making up derogatory terms for political opponents/icons like "Obamatons" or Jack-booted GOP thugs" is similarly not persuasive. 

And if a post is not truly intended for information or persuasion, I pretty much expect it will not be within the spirit of the rules governing conduct on this blog.  Crownsy nails it:  it isn't so darned hard to identify a problem post.

Last, splitting hairs isn't likely to win anyone the "most wise" award.  Don't like the acronym BHO?  Would you rather just BO?  If I was the PUSA (or POTUS) I definitely would prefer BHO instead of being associated with "body odor."  These are all legitimate acronyms even if one of them doesn't float someone's ideological boat. 

Thanks Crownsy, good post.