Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 452697 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #405 on: June 06, 2009, 09:19:57 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It should have been addressed. I can't offer much more than an apology, and an encouragement to report this stuff if/when you see it, so it can be addressed.

I wouldn't advise anyone to do this. That's what I did, by pointing out to a moderator a post that, in my opinion, was being overlooked and the consequence was that I was banned for suggesting the moderators were being biased.

We can discuss the details in private, because we have a policy about discussing these things in the public forum, but I will say that this is 100% incorrect.  

I think there's something I don't understand in this post and I'll look for the rule. I'm not sure what you mean by "these things" and it seems a mixed message when combined with Roy saying he'd welcome a discussion in this thread

By "these things", I am referring to specific disciplinary actions taken by the staff, concerning individual posters.  We do not discuss them in the public forum.

« Reply #406 on: June 06, 2009, 09:20:28 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
As I said, you're being intentionally difficult, and are twisting the words and actions of the staff.  Indeed, you're lying about things that were said / done in the past, for the sole purpose of giving the staff a hard time / making us look bad.  There's no doubt in my mind that you know the distinction between criticizing another poster and criticizing a politician, and your continued effort to cast the staff as hypocrites is a shallow effort to challenge our authority.

You are to cease and desist with this line of debate.  If you want to have a legitimate discussion about the rules -- which would require you to stop posturing and behave honestly -- I invite you to do so via PM.  However, please take note that continued lies and misdirection directed towards the staff in this thread will result in discipline against your account.  Move on.

Why are you concerned about "looking bad"? I think the only thing that "looks bad" is this post.

« Reply #407 on: June 06, 2009, 09:21:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Cordobes,

Listen......

I have an issue with the way the Mods handled one of my posts -- it really irked me to no end and I signed off for more than a month.

Celticsblog is not run by me and I don't make the rules, if I want to participate in this community I know that I have to follow their rules....as gray as I may think they are.  I have elected to participate for I think that it's better than the alternative.

Step back and make the same choice I did.  Leave for awhile and evaluate what you want to do.  Do you want to partake under the structure as you know it or do you not want to?  It's simple. You didn't put the sweat equity into the site and neither did I.  You don't put the long hours into the site and neither do I.  

I chose to partake and not b*tch.  What's your choice?  

=====
edit:  the page of posts following this seem to have disappeared....odd.

I don't think the issue in a sense was following or respecting the rules, but that mods follow their own.

« Reply #408 on: June 06, 2009, 09:23:24 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
It should have been addressed. I can't offer much more than an apology, and an encouragement to report this stuff if/when you see it, so it can be addressed.

I wouldn't advise anyone to do this. That's what I did, by pointing out to a moderator a post that, in my opinion, was being overlooked and the consequence was that I was banned for suggesting the moderators were being biased.

We can discuss the details in private, because we have a policy about discussing these things in the public forum, but I will say that this is 100% incorrect.  

I think there's something I don't understand in this post and I'll look for the rule. I'm not sure what you mean by "these things" and it seems a mixed message when combined with Roy saying he'd welcome a discussion in this thread

By "these things", I am referring to specific disciplinary actions taken by the staff, concerning individual posters.  We do not discuss them in the public forum.

Oh Ok. Thanks. I would have thought the purpose was to protect the privacy of the guy getting spoken to, so that if he asks publicly then you can tell him publicly, but maybe that's not the reason

« Reply #409 on: June 06, 2009, 09:34:38 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
moderating this board is a hard, thankless, time consuming job

much like referees, it is subjective and the ones that get warned or punished will probably be upset, even if they know they are wrong

Still, I think the staff does a heck of a lot better job than NBA refs, though I ask everyone to remember that mods are allowed to make mistakes.  To lessen the mistakes, they do a great job of checks and balances as well - we always try to discuss the more difficult issues amongst ourselves before taking action.

I'm very proud of what the staff here does and they have my full support.  They are responsible for creating the relatively peaceful, friendly environment (there will always be exceptions) that we all enjoy here.

please support the mods by working with them (cooperating respectfully, using the report button, etc.) as opposed to against them (for example by engaging in flame wars) as much as possible - thanks
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #410 on: June 06, 2009, 09:38:15 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i will make this str8 to the point....

1. the blog has rules, if you cant follow them or dont like them, maybe this isnt the place for you.

2. be respectful of others.

3.  LIGHTEN UP!!!! its only a message board.

« Reply #411 on: June 06, 2009, 09:54:10 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Really my first experience as a moderator with an all on, full blown, assault on the way we (moderators) do things.  It sorta sucks that people are disgruntled with the way we do things.  I feel like we all put in a pretty honest effort at keeping things square back here. 

Mods have feelings to you know    :'( :'( :'( :'(

Seriously though, I'm not crying in my pillow over anything that happens in this forum, but the peacefulness of this place is a genuine concern for me, and I know for [dang] sure my fellow moderators. For a pretty large community, this is a great place, that we all value, but when the values that make this place are attacked, they need to be upheld.

Not always an easy thing to do.  But that's the deal.
Yup

« Reply #412 on: June 06, 2009, 09:57:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Really my first experience as a moderator with an all on, full blown, assault on the way we (moderators) do things.  It sorta sucks that people are disgruntled with the way we do things.  I feel like we all put in a pretty honest effort at keeping things square back here. 

Mods have feelings to you know    :'( :'( :'( :'(

Seriously though, I'm not crying in my pillow over anything that happens in this forum, but the peacefulness of this place is a genuine concern for me, and I know for [dang] sure my fellow moderators. For a pretty large community, this is a great place, that we all value, but when the values that make this place are attacked, they need to be upheld.

Not always an easy thing to do.  But that's the deal.
Score me as one who is thankful for you guys. WTG mods. Your job is truly under appreciated and thankless. It's sorta like being a dad, I guess.

TP's 2 U all.

« Reply #413 on: June 06, 2009, 10:44:55 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
Cordobes,

Listen......

I have an issue with the way the Mods handled one of my posts -- it really irked me to no end and I signed off for more than a month.

Celticsblog is not run by me and I don't make the rules, if I want to participate in this community I know that I have to follow their rules....as gray as I may think they are.  I have elected to participate for I think that it's better than the alternative.

Step back and make the same choice I did.  Leave for awhile and evaluate what you want to do.  Do you want to partake under the structure as you know it or do you not want to?  It's simple. You didn't put the sweat equity into the site and neither did I.  You don't put the long hours into the site and neither do I.  

=====

I don't think the issue in a sense was following or respecting the rules, but that mods follow their own.

EJA, I sincerely don't think the mods follow their own rules, but I do think that the gray area fluctuates immensely.  I also think there's been times that it's fluctuated in my favor and times that it hasn't.  So be it.

Jeff owns (perhaps with others) the playground.  The mods run the playground and they are in charge of the equipment.  They give us a list of rules -- whether or not we want to play on the playground is our choice.  Even if we think the rules fluctuate, its our choice to stay and play or go elsewhere.  The uncool thing to do is to stay and fight....there's enough other playgrounds that we can go to instead of doing that.

Right, wrong or indifferent that's the way it is and I've elected to play.....

sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #414 on: June 06, 2009, 10:47:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Cordobes,

Listen......

=====

EJA, I sincerely don't think the mods follow their own rules, but I do think that the gray area fluctuates immensely.  I also think there's been times that it's fluctuated in my favor and times that it hasn't.  So be it.

Jeff owns (perhaps with others) the playground.  The mods run the playground and they are in charge of the equipment.  They give us a list of rules -- whether or not we want to play on the playground is our choice.  Even if we think the rules fluctuate, its our choice to stay and play or go elsewhere.  The uncool thing to do is to stay and fight....there's enough other playgrounds that we can go to instead of doing that.

Well....as long as this playground has monkeybars. I gotta have me my monkeybars when I'm at the playground.

« Reply #415 on: June 06, 2009, 10:54:50 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
Cordobes,

Listen......

=====

Well....as long as this playground has monkeybars. I gotta have me my monkeybars when I'm at the playground.

;) TP

(of course, I ain't doing myself any favors regarding the TP pageant....oh well)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 11:18:08 PM by SSFan V »
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #416 on: June 06, 2009, 10:59:22 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Cordobes,

Listen......

=====

Monkey bars are highly overrated Nick.  All I ever needed was a ball and a bunch of kids running after me in a game of "kill the guy with the ball".  I was unstoppable at kill the guy with the ball.
Yup

« Reply #417 on: June 06, 2009, 11:04:44 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Cordobes,

Listen......

=====

Monkey bars are highly overrated Nick.  All I ever needed was a ball and a bunch of kids running after me in a game of "kill the guy with the ball".  I was unstoppable at kill the guy with the ball.

I always liked the see-saw.  Only took out one other kid with that.  (that's what you get for playing with the little brother of a player on the other softball team)

« Reply #418 on: June 06, 2009, 11:16:31 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I thought moderators were hall monitors.  This playground stuff has me all confused.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #419 on: June 07, 2009, 10:17:23 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I seem to have missed a lot of what's been going on here, but:

i will make this str8 to the point....

1. the blog has rules, if you cant follow them or dont like them, maybe this isnt the place for you.

2. be respectful of others.

3.  LIGHTEN UP!!!! its only a message board.

What he said.