Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 449081 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #915 on: October 01, 2016, 08:56:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
So half the board is gonna ignore the guy? That is just gonna make for choppy threads and a lot more quiet. I really wish everyone could have tried to meet in the middle rather than this. lb could be a little obnoxious and occasionally give an inch and other posters can try to prove him wrong less (myself included)
Don't stress it.  This is a good thing and I fully support it as hopefully it will cut down on the amount of them trolling me in various threads.  None of my back and forth with any of those guys has been a positive experience for me or added to my Celtic fandom, so I'm a bit excited at the prospect of dealing with them less.  In general, those guys were ignoring what I was writing anyways in favor of cherry-picking quotes to incite drama.  All this will do is hopefully cut down on the amount of their trollish behavior, given that if they can maintain the self control to keep me on their ignore list, they will not be able to see a lot of my posts.  Any attempts to directly bait me into an argument at that point would be an admission they are going out of their way to unhide my opinions so they can have the LarBrd33 fix they so desperately miss. 

Really, though, I'm skeptical that it will completely eliminate their behavior as a massive chunk of my posts (like this one, perhaps) get quoted by members of this forum that actually want to engage in various well-intentioned discussions.  And given that the "ignorers" will be able to still see these nested quote threads regardless of whether or not they have opted out of seeing my direct posts, it's questionable whether they will have the willpower to avoid jumping into those discussions to submarine threads with their transparent ax-grindy agendas.   We'll see, though.   I hope for the best.

I'm interested in seeing how this works, too. You're in a ton of the basketball threads, even game threads, so it could make for some issues along the comment lines.
You'll notice no difference.  Those people already weren't paying attention to the things I was saying even if they were reading my posts.  Now hopefully I can share my observations in peace without having to deal with their tomfoolery.  It's a win for everyone.
probably could have helped to just tone it down

« Reply #916 on: October 01, 2016, 09:05:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
So half the board is gonna ignore the guy? That is just gonna make for choppy threads and a lot more quiet. I really wish everyone could have tried to meet in the middle rather than this. lb could be a little obnoxious and occasionally give an inch and other posters can try to prove him wrong less (myself included)
Don't stress it.  This is a good thing and I fully support it as hopefully it will cut down on the amount of them trolling me in various threads.  None of my back and forth with any of those guys has been a positive experience for me or added to my Celtic fandom, so I'm a bit excited at the prospect of dealing with them less.  In general, those guys were ignoring what I was writing anyways in favor of cherry-picking quotes to incite drama.  All this will do is hopefully cut down on the amount of their trollish behavior, given that if they can maintain the self control to keep me on their ignore list, they will not be able to see a lot of my posts.  Any attempts to directly bait me into an argument at that point would be an admission they are going out of their way to unhide my opinions so they can have the LarBrd33 fix they so desperately miss. 

Really, though, I'm skeptical that it will completely eliminate their behavior as a massive chunk of my posts (like this one, perhaps) get quoted by members of this forum that actually want to engage in various well-intentioned discussions.  And given that the "ignorers" will be able to still see these nested quote threads regardless of whether or not they have opted out of seeing my direct posts, it's questionable whether they will have the willpower to avoid jumping into those discussions to submarine threads with their transparent ax-grindy agendas.   We'll see, though.   I hope for the best.

I'm interested in seeing how this works, too. You're in a ton of the basketball threads, even game threads, so it could make for some issues along the comment lines.
You'll notice no difference.  Those people already weren't paying attention to the things I was saying even if they were reading my posts.  Now hopefully I can share my observations in peace without having to deal with their tomfoolery.  It's a win for everyone.
probably could have helped to just tone it down
If you consider my opinions for what they are, there's nothing to "tone down".  I can't "tone down" my belief that Embiid still might have a future, for instance.  I'm not going to just jump on the "Embiid is doomed" bandwagon, because of the over-sensitivity of other posters.  These folks were already participating in a customized version of reality on this forum - hence why they responded so negatively to some of my unpopular yet reasonable opinions.  Now they can customize their version of reality further and just ignore alternate viewpoints all-together.  It's fine. 

It's just a difference in opinion on what is required of being a Celtic fan.  The green-tinted kool-aid drinking homers and the pessimistic reverse-jinxing "realists" will always clash.  Most people are capable of co-existing.  Some aren't.  Some of the pure homers fundamentally believe it's impossible to love the Celtics while admitting to their flaws.  They think it makes you less of a "fan" unless you're operating in a a version of reality where Paul Pierce is better than LeBron James.  Saying otherwise must make you an enemy. 

Anyways, this doesn't really have to do with rules/restrictions because aside from some posters flat-out calling a fellow member "clinically insane" and "psycho", this entire discussion really has nothing to do with the forum rules.  Best we all just move on.

« Reply #917 on: October 28, 2016, 02:03:08 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I posted a pic of a man with his head in the sand in response to a post by saltlover, and was immediately banned from current events.

Is this really necessary? I didn't say anything evil or mean.

Its like the corrupt system is trickling down to cblog, just because I am posting something someone doesn't like I am banned.

Please fix this I have had a great time discussing the election with you all, not saying hateful things, just stating my opinion.

« Reply #918 on: October 28, 2016, 02:21:25 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I didn't put the ban into place, but I agree with it. It's dismissive and is likely to bring about a negative response. You could have made your point otherwise. We have special rules for the CE forum, including zero tolerance for this stuff.

Calling our staff "corrupt" doesn't win many favors.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #919 on: October 28, 2016, 02:24:40 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
I didn't put the ban into place, but I agree with it. It's dismissive and is likely to bring about a negative response. You could have made your point otherwise. We have special rules for the CE forum, including zero tolerance for this stuff.

I've used the same pic dozens of times, how would I know ? Could I get a warning at least?

You know I'm not being mean spirited....

« Reply #920 on: October 28, 2016, 02:35:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think you may find that you'll enjoy posting here more when the CE forum doesn't "exist" while you're logged in.  That has pretty much been my experience.

Not a lot of mind-changing going on in the CE forum.

Plus, the nature of the subject matter often means, as you've just discovered RH, that there is a tendency for your posts to be interpreted in the worst way possible by those who perceive you to be on the other side of whatever ideological canyon the cannons of the conversation are firing across.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #921 on: October 28, 2016, 02:38:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I've used the same pic dozens of times, how would I know ? Could I get a warning at least?

It was a little conversation killing, but if you get unbanned and take it as a warning I won't be insulted.

« Reply #922 on: October 28, 2016, 02:41:25 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

It was a little conversation killing, but if you get unbanned and take it as a warning I won't be insulted.

Thanks , I didn't want to offend , but was posting on my phone and didn't want to type a big response. Was a little zinger, but didn't mean it in a mean spirited way .

« Reply #923 on: October 28, 2016, 04:39:00 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I posted a pic of a man with his head in the sand in response to a post by saltlover, and was immediately banned from current events.

Its like the corrupt system is trickling down to cblog, just because I am posting something someone doesn't like I am banned.

Please fix this I have had a great time discussing the election with you all, not saying hateful things, just stating my opinion.

A robust disagreement with a moderator here will get you banned from current events, and no, no one will bother to even inform you if you've received such a ban. 

« Reply #924 on: October 28, 2016, 04:54:15 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

A robust rule-breaking disagreement with a moderator here will get you banned from current events, and no, no one will bother to even inform you if you've received such a ban.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #925 on: October 28, 2016, 04:55:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Thanks , I didn't want to offend , but was posting on my phone and didn't want to type a big response. Was a little zinger, but didn't mean it in a mean spirited way .

We'll reach out to you in the coming days and will internally discuss this.

« Reply #926 on: November 08, 2016, 12:41:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

To add on to this, apparently if you respond to someone who's asking you how it feels to have your head in the sand (admittedly not in an overly nice manner), you'll get the axe just as well.

Since there's nothing that indicates that this isn't permanent or that there is an appeal process, I guess I'm done with CE. Which is unfortunate.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #927 on: November 08, 2016, 12:45:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

To add on to this, apparently if you respond to someone who's asking you how it feels to have your head in the sand (admittedly not in an overly nice manner), you'll get the axe just as well.

Since there's nothing that indicates that this isn't permanent or that there is an appeal process, I guess I'm done with CE. Which is unfortunate.

No apologies here. Comments like this directed at other members will get you booted every time:

Yes, I understand using your head for the first time may be a bit painful. That's ok though, it will go away if it practice enough

« Reply #928 on: November 08, 2016, 12:46:20 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Election day banning?!?

that's the spirit, boys

« Reply #929 on: November 08, 2016, 12:48:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

No apologies here. Comments like this directed at other members will get you booted every time:

Yes, I understand using your head for the first time may be a bit painful. That's ok though, it will go away if it practice enough
I'm not particularly proud of that one. But it's fair to point out that the post to which I was responding included

1. "Your post lack logic so much it makes my head hurt", and
2. "How does it feel to have your head so deep in the sand".

This was more likely to clarify that suspention = permanent and unappealable, since this particular bit of information is not readily available.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."