Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 450068 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #855 on: September 29, 2016, 06:35:29 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I just post and don't care that much. Don't really get into that drama.  I've had moderators in the past assume I'm saying something I'm not though. I don't even know what is going on.  Don't really pay attention to forum drama too much.  Just thought people were getting on larbrd33 and will defend anyone to a fault sometimes I guess.  I honestly don't even read all of his posts.  They are very long.

I do have people take what I say and twist it on the internet and get banned sometimes when it's more the moderators fault though and they think it's me. I'll just stay out of this one.  Thought i was being nice. 

I have my own issues with people on the internet. It's usually a lot of drama and you say one thing and  you're screwed or the other way around.

Never have these issues in person.  The internet is a dangerous place lol.    I'm usually the innocent party I know that much.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 07:26:19 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #856 on: September 29, 2016, 06:49:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

If your addressing this to me specifically I haven't been posting any user's old posts.

No, that wasn't my point at all. 

I was distinguishing between what you said I've done myself -- i.e. say something like, "Hey, you're being ridiculous and I think you're only doing this to get people riled up," -- versus going through a person's post history and quoting things they posted 6 months back, a year back, or even longer ago, all to try and get them to admit that they're wrong and have been wrong all along, etc etc.

I agree that there is a pattern that's easy to observe in how a number of threads have gone off the rails.  I guess we disagree as to who bears the most blame in those situations. 

Like Roy said, both baiting and stalking, or whatever terms you want to use, are a problem.

I'm just giving my input here, which is that on the whole, I don't really mind tongue-in-cheek, over-the-top, look-at-me posts, so much as I mind the excessive, angry, vindictive, never-let-it-go reaction to those posts.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #857 on: September 29, 2016, 07:06:19 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Not a big fan of people who bait and do that stuff.  I usually just say what I feel and get screwed by those people.  I'll just stay out of it. Have fun and a nice day.  I have a good sense of humor at least. Sounds like this board gets it more than most. 

« Reply #858 on: September 29, 2016, 07:33:10 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I am banned from Current Events Board, and I have no idea why. I sent mail to mods but no resolution. Too bad, because I feel I have so much to add to the discussion on current events.

« Reply #859 on: September 29, 2016, 07:42:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Keep posting up a storm, LB. I am a big fan of your well-thought out posts even if I don't always agree with everything that you have to say. It's obvious that you care and occasionally providing Devil's Advocate responses helps to create a more dynamic discussion.  I wish I could take part more in the actual threads around here, but I always make a point of looking for your posts, along with others like Pho, fwf, sl, crimson, nick, ip, and a number of others.

CB has a fascinating group of characters from all backgrounds and Jeff, Roy and the gang have kept me coming back for the last 13 or so years. It's all of the personalities that make this such an interesting and (mostly) respectful board. Your opinions (as well as humor) and documented support to back up your opinions make you an important part of this board.

« Reply #860 on: September 29, 2016, 08:38:11 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Since the Nets thread got locked, I'll just post this here and tap out.   I'm not telling anyone how to run this place but while a bunch of us can be argumentative little jerks, like me, there is one guy who is consistently in the middle of most of the nonsense around here.  He's now taken up flat out lying about stuff he posted in the past which, even if he's just trying to be funny, is plain and simple trolling behavior.  I'm not saying the rest of us are angels, but there shouldn't be one guy everybody else has to tiptoe around, no matter how long he's been posting here.

Mike

See, the thing that I've noticed is that there's a certain group of posters who insist on derailing every thread in which that guy posts into a contentious and obviously futile exercise in trying to get him to admit to every mistaken thing he's ever predicted or opined upon.  The post becomes a referendum on a particular poster and his proclamations about Joel Embiid rather than whatever the original topic was.

To me, that's more of a problem than one guy on this forum who likes to post tongue in cheek and try to get attention by stating things that are in-context-controversial.  If you don't engage and don't take it so seriously, then the thread keeps moving along.  People just need to accept that some people are the way they are and do what they're gonna do, you're not going to get them to break down and admit they were wrong all along.  And moreover, it's not fun to be here if that's gonna be the goal of so many discussions -- to force people to own their mistakes and be held accountable for them.

This becomes a negative environment if there's a frequent pattern of people refusing to take what other posters say in a given thread at face value because of the need to bring up the context of other posts in other threads.  The worst times I can think of to be on this forum have been when people insist on creating factions and using labels for posters who they perceive to be on the opposite side of whatever divide they want to create, whether it's Tankers vs Anti-Tankers, or whatever.  They disagree reflexively because the person making a post is somebody they identify as a "tanker," or whatever, and so fail to actually read what was said in that thread.
Pho,

You have gotten into it a few times with said poster yourself and have also complained numerous times about the poster constantly making threads about themselves so this comment seems really disingenuous

I thought the bolded part was in reference to me, but I hope not. While I tend to make snarky posts, they aren't intended to be harmful or insulting. And relative to the conversation, I've tried to encourage others to refrain from feeding into the behavior in question without choosing a side. It has fallen on deaf ears enough that I stopped, though.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #861 on: September 29, 2016, 09:11:30 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Since the Nets thread got locked, I'll just post this here and tap out.   I'm not telling anyone how to run this place but while a bunch of us can be argumentative little jerks, like me, there is one guy who is consistently in the middle of most of the nonsense around here.  He's now taken up flat out lying about stuff he posted in the past which, even if he's just trying to be funny, is plain and simple trolling behavior.  I'm not saying the rest of us are angels, but there shouldn't be one guy everybody else has to tiptoe around, no matter how long he's been posting here.

Mike

See, the thing that I've noticed is that there's a certain group of posters who insist on derailing every thread in which that guy posts into a contentious and obviously futile exercise in trying to get him to admit to every mistaken thing he's ever predicted or opined upon.  The post becomes a referendum on a particular poster and his proclamations about Joel Embiid rather than whatever the original topic was.

To me, that's more of a problem than one guy on this forum who likes to post tongue in cheek and try to get attention by stating things that are in-context-controversial.  If you don't engage and don't take it so seriously, then the thread keeps moving along.  People just need to accept that some people are the way they are and do what they're gonna do, you're not going to get them to break down and admit they were wrong all along.  And moreover, it's not fun to be here if that's gonna be the goal of so many discussions -- to force people to own their mistakes and be held accountable for them.

This becomes a negative environment if there's a frequent pattern of people refusing to take what other posters say in a given thread at face value because of the need to bring up the context of other posts in other threads.  The worst times I can think of to be on this forum have been when people insist on creating factions and using labels for posters who they perceive to be on the opposite side of whatever divide they want to create, whether it's Tankers vs Anti-Tankers, or whatever.  They disagree reflexively because the person making a post is somebody they identify as a "tanker," or whatever, and so fail to actually read what was said in that thread.
Pho,

You have gotten into it a few times with said poster yourself and have also complained numerous times about the poster constantly making threads about themselves so this comment seems really disingenuous

I thought the bolded part was in reference to me, but I hope not. While I tend to make snarky posts, they aren't intended to be harmful or insulting. And relative to the conversation, I've tried to encourage others to refrain from feeding into the behavior in question without choosing a side. It has fallen on deaf ears enough that I stopped, though.
Deaf ears is correct. If CB had an ignore button I  would have used it long ago. The guy who shall not be named has an inability to change. As I have written before, responding only feeds a sad ego and problematic personality. Simply ignore him and Both life and this place improve.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #862 on: September 29, 2016, 11:47:14 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
edited
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 02:06:23 PM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #863 on: September 30, 2016, 12:10:57 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm actually with you in that one, hwangjini.  I found myself fairly recently doing some research on this forum type so I could figure out where the ignore option was.  My hope was to add an easy opt-out link in my forum signature that would allows folks to ignore me without digging through hard to find settings.  It would actually please me quite a bit if the type of folks who feel compelled to say "I wish there was an ignore button" weren't able to read my posts.  That would likely minimize a good chunk of the negative behavior on this forum, as it's usually those "I wish there was an ignore button" folks that go out of their way to derail threads I'm a part of.   There's a couple problematic folks here, who shall not be named, who can't seem to process my words without declaring I'm a 76ers fan, or Hinkie Binkie, or Nets fan, or "hater", or "troll", or as one person said earlier "clinically insane",  or digging up previous out-of-context quotes of mine and using them to rally other users against my current valid opinions.   If I'm that much of a human trigger for those folks and an ignore button would remedy their lack of self control, I'd probably advertise the "LB Ignore Button" at the bottom of every one of my posts.   In-fact, I think I was PM'ing tarheel about this other other day in reference to a specific user who shall not be named.  I was asking where the ignore button was so I could help said user ignore me.  Life here would be so much easier for me if said user was capable of just scrolling past posts I make.   I'm here to be a Celtic fan and talk with other Celtic fans about the team, not constantly defend myself while certain individuals put me on blast and troll me in one thread after another.  That stuff isn't very fun.   

There's views I disagree with on this forum, and it's fun to engage in discussions people about those views.  I think that's what makes forums great.  Sharing varied opinions.  But it seems some folks have a lack of tolerance for people who don't share their views and would rather ignore those views than engage in civil discussion. If anyone finds the ignore option, please let me know so I can help some specific instigators stay away from me. 

EDIT:  Thank you rondofan1255!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 04:58:19 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #864 on: September 30, 2016, 12:13:50 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Mike

Pho,

Deaf ears is correct. If CB had an ignore button I  would have used it long ago. The guy who shall not be named has an inability to change. As I have written before, responding only feeds a sad ego and problematic personality. Simply ignore him and Both life and this place improve.

Re: the bolded

(1) Click on Profile.
(2) Under "Modify Profile," click on Buddies/Ignore List.
(3) Click Edit Ignore List
(4) Type in username next to "Member:" and click Add.

:)

I plan on using it if/when needed. HTH
Thank you.  I was having a lot of trouble finding this.  I'll see what I can do about adding that opt-out link.

« Reply #865 on: September 30, 2016, 12:43:27 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I'm actually with you in that one, hwangjini.  I found myself fairly recently doing some research on this forum type so I could figure out where the ignore option was.  My hope was to add an easy opt-out link in my forum signature that would allows folks to ignore me without digging through hard to find settings. It would actually please me quite a bit if the type of folks who feel compelled to say "I wish there was an ignore button" weren't able to read my posts.  That would likely minimize a good chunk of the negative behavior on this forum, as it's usually those "I wish there was an ignore button" folks that go out of their way to derail threads I'm a part of.   There's a couple problematic folks here, who shall not be named, who can't seem to process my words without declaring I'm a 76ers fan, or Hinkie Binkie, or Nets fan, or "hater", or "troll", or as one person said earlier "clinically insane",  or digging up previous out-of-context quotes of mine and using them to rally other users against my current valid opinions.   If I'm not that much of a human trigger for those folks and an ignore button would remedy their lack of self control, I'd probably advertise the "LB Ignore Button" at the bottom of every one of my posts.   In-fact, I think I was PM'ing tarheel about this other other day in reference to a specific user who shall not be named.  I was asking where the ignore button was so I could help said user ignore me.  Life here would be so much easier for me if said user was capable of just scrolling past posts I make.   I'm here to be a Celtic fan and talk with other Celtic fans about the team, not constantly defend myself while certain individuals put me on blast and troll me in one thread after another.  That stuff isn't very fun.   

There's views I disagree with on this forum, and it's fun to engage in discussions people about those views.  I think that's what makes forums great.  Sharing varied opinions.  But it seems some folks have a lack of tolerance for people who don't share their views and would rather ignore those views than engage in civil discussion. If anyone finds the ignore option, please let me know so I can help some specific instigators stay away from me. 

EDIT:  Thank you rondofan1255!

Lol this is hilarious.

I've never been one to hit the ignore/unfriend button or anything. Even with people who I disagree with almost entirely (more on Facebook than on here), I find it better to try and tolerate their posts and use my will to ignore them rather than block them altogether, even though it's extremely difficult at times. Granted, there's been times when I've had to unsubscribe from a person's feed in order to keep me from arguing with them all of the time, but I still have them as a friend.

I am almost certain someone has blocked me on here, though, because I occasionally see a (+1 Hidden) up on threads where it shows who is all is in the thread at that particular time lol I always kind of wonder who it is and what I did to prompt them to ignore me lol

« Reply #866 on: September 30, 2016, 01:25:59 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
what happened to the spinning chad ford? i liked that gif a lot actually...
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #867 on: September 30, 2016, 05:00:16 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
what happened to the spinning chad ford? i liked that gif a lot actually...
It's the last day of the offseason.  Time to get down to business. 

I've gone ahead and added the quick-link to the ignore page in my signature.  Unfortunately, it only works if you're logged into your account (so you'll want to make sure you're always signed in when you want to ignore me).  Also, I couldn't totally figure out how to create a 1-click script that would fill in the "LarBrd33" name and auto-click the "add" button, but I trust those who wish to use it will be able to figure that out.  If any of the html/script gurus out there haven't yet unsubscribed to my posts and would like to give me some pointers on how to improve the link, please feel free to PM me with details.  Thx.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 05:05:19 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #868 on: September 30, 2016, 07:11:22 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
[unimportant context] I'm a 76ers fan [unimportant context]

Hah, I KNEW it! LarBrd finally admits it! Better add this to my signature!  /s
I'm bitter.

« Reply #869 on: September 30, 2016, 07:26:27 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

What a load of nonsense. You don't see this behaviour with any other poster, so don't turn this into a topic about the general behaviour on CB. We're talking about one Grade A troll here, who's abusing CB's commitment to their own community rules, in this case free speech, for his own amusement. If anything, he's the guy who turns unrelated threads into his own personal soapbox.

We're also not talking about isolated incidents, which could seem innocuous on their own, we're talking about a clear pattern of outrageous statements coupled with complete denial afterwards. Of course people are gonna quote his old posts in that case.

There's a reason why people like that are usually banned on any decently moderated site, and it's not the inability to accept differing viewpoints, it's the fact that they destroy any kind of actual, reasonable discussion.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.