Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 450170 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #225 on: August 24, 2007, 06:41:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I have no agenda on this issue because I don't post here often and have no plans on doing so. I also understand why you guys are so strict about moderating. You're probably hoping to one day sell the site and don't want to alienate a buyer. With that said, you might want to be a little more prudent with your post locking.

I don't think any of you guys know what it feels like to have a post locked. These people are sometimes putting significant effort into their posts. Do you know what happens when this effort is for naught? You completely alienate them. Sure, there are some users that are worth alienating. With the number of locked posts here, I doubt this is completely the case.
Once again, I could care less if you actually follow my suggestion. Heck, "ban me" if you like. My username has about 15 posts to my credit and there's no way anybody can truly be banned from a web site.

First, why would we ban you?

Secondly, what do you mean by the "number of locked posts" here?  We're averaging less than one per day, I believe, excluding moved posts.  It's not like it's a huge problem.  I think there was one post locked today, and none that I can think of other than that this week. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #226 on: September 05, 2007, 11:01:17 AM »

Offline Marco Vincent

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 19
I understand that rules are rules and you guys gotta do what you gotta do and I respect that.

However after posting a thread about our countries drug laws i recieved this message.  In no way was I endorsing doing or dealing drugs in any way.  It was written in a perfectly adult manner (i believe) yet recieved this message.

"Do not discuss illegal activities."

While the Celticsblog staff encourages discussion of a wide variety of topics, threads related to certain topics may be locked or deleted at any time because the staff deems them to be of a contentious, inflammatory, illegal, or otherwise inappropriate nature.  Decisions related to such threads will solely be in the staff’s discretion."

"Locked."

Can somebody clear this up for me?  How is this different than debating the morality of Capital Punishment where killing, rape, murder, and kidnapping are all being talked about freely... aren't those illegal activities?  I was talking about it in the same way.

I can understand that the post may have brought in some immature posters but couldn't it have had a chance to play out a bit? I mean the Capital Punishment post brought out some racist statements? 

I love being here (read all day and post most of it) but am really shocked that that thread got locked... i tried (and believe) that I was abiding by site rules.
New England Sports... Feel the Beastmode-ness!

-city of champions-

« Reply #227 on: September 05, 2007, 11:07:55 AM »

Offline Marco Vincent

• Jaylen Brown
Also,

I would have PM'ed this but I do not know who locked the thread.

My apologies... not trying to make a thing out of it.

-city of champions-

« Reply #228 on: September 05, 2007, 11:21:57 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Marco, sounds like it would have been a good debate but you gotta figure the amount of:

"What are you high?"

"Take that straw out of you nose!"

"You're cracked!"

"Guess that argument went up in smoke."

would have ruled the roost and only gotten the thread locked for that purpose alone. But I think its a very good discussion that needs to be discussed considering we are losing that war and "Just say no" doesn't work.

« Reply #229 on: September 05, 2007, 11:24:48 AM »

Offline Marco Vincent

• Jaylen Brown
Hey guys...

sorry i didn't see that the post was just moved... i will delete the last one.

Also Nick, I definatly understand that... but we could have at least played it out a bit and cut it off if it did indeed get stupid like that.

-city of champions-

« Reply #230 on: September 05, 2007, 11:44:10 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Hey guys...

sorry i didn't see that the post was just moved... i will delete the last one.

Also Nick, I definatly understand that... but we could have at least played it out a bit and cut it off if it did indeed get stupid like that.
Agree completely but sometimes when the subject skirts the line that close you just gotta say "Oh, well. I tried." and forget it. I know I've had one of my threads shut down under somewhat similar circumstances. Knew it might be ahead of time. "Oh well. I tried."

« Reply #231 on: September 05, 2007, 11:48:30 AM »

Offline KuberskiIsMyHero

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • The Starman Cometh
Shhh....free speech is dead, pass it on.

« Reply #232 on: September 05, 2007, 11:52:19 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437

This is not a democracy, and it shouldn't be one either. There are no government rules regarding free speech on an online message board. The mods here have a right to lock threads they feel go against the integrity of this site or are discussing illegal matters.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #233 on: September 05, 2007, 12:11:32 PM »

Offline Marco Vincent

• Jaylen Brown

This is not a democracy, and it shouldn't be one either. There are no government rules regarding free speech on an online message board. The mods here have a right to lock threads they feel go against the integrity of this site or are discussing illegal matters.

Thanks for stating the obvious Celtics fan.  I just wanted an anwser as to why it is seen as an "unfit topic" while under the Capitol Punishment thread people are saying things like "If i could pull the trigger, tie the knot, or throw the switch myself i would"...and get away with it.  Like I said, i was in no way shape or form endorsing the use or sale of drugs.  I was just trying to raise an issue that is an important one concerning the State of the Nation.  I'm saying I feel I abided by all rules... and considering not one signle moderator or administer has yet to anwser me angers me. 

at least they didn't delete my posts.... they just buried them on page 16 of an old thread... can you say "black bagged."

-city of champions-

« Reply #234 on: September 05, 2007, 12:12:58 PM »

Offline Marco Vincent

• Jaylen Brown
but noone will ever know what I said exactly because that WAS deleted...

i'm over it.  Just wish it was handled a little better that's all.  Just doesn't fit the precedent of professionalism and courtesy I have experienced before is all.

-city of champions-

« Reply #235 on: September 05, 2007, 12:44:41 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
but noone will ever know what I said exactly because that WAS deleted...

So does that mean you wont be able to pull a Charles Barkley and say that you were misquoted?  :-)
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #236 on: September 05, 2007, 12:52:23 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I'm saying I feel I abided by all rules... and considering not one signle moderator or administer has yet to anwser me angers me.

The administrators / moderators all have full-time jobs.  The reason for the locking of the thread were explained in the initial post; the topic of legalization of drugs is one of those subjects that the staff has, in its discretion, decided not to allow.  While some people can argue about this issue intelligently, it's something where many cannot.  Threads of that nature simply turn into a forum for drug users to come in and make one-liners, and it's not something the staff has an interest in. 

Simply put: we don't want it discussed.  It's one of the narrow category of topics that are off-limits to us, and that's something that has to be accepted.

As for your thread being "buried", this is the proper thread for it, as the site rules make clear.  We treated you no differently than we would anybody else.  It has nothing to do with your topic, but rather with a uniform policy used in the case of all similar thread.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #237 on: September 05, 2007, 01:14:50 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I understand why the mods made their decision, but I disagree with it. I've also seen some of the mods use the threat of retribution to stifle debate, aqcusing posters of making personal attacks or breaking the rules and warning them, when the poster is attacking a mod's arguments in the course of a debate. I would suggest two guidelines:

1. When an admin locks, deletes, ghosts etc a thread, they leave their handle so there is some accountability and the OP can contact back (i.e. through PM) to get a clarification. In Marco's thread, I had no idea what it was about, and wouldn't have known that drug legalization was out of bounds for thread topics, except I PM'd him.

2. Admins should not rebuke posters for a post that is directed at the admin, within the course of normal discussion. If a poster challenges an admin while the admin is moving threads, moderating, etc. then by all means. But when an admin is acting as a poster, there is at least a strong appearance of impropriety when that same admin threatens a challenging poster. We all get attached to our arguments and sometimes its easy to take a substantive challenge personally, and thus over react.

That's just my two cents; generally I think the mods do a great job on the board, there is always lots of talk, and you can usually count on a heads up before more serious action occurs. And we don't really have a lot of junk on the site either, which is great.

« Reply #238 on: September 05, 2007, 01:30:02 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
1. When an admin locks, deletes, ghosts etc a thread, they leave their handle so there is some accountability and the OP can contact back (i.e. through PM) to get a clarification. In Marco's thread, I had no idea what it was about, and wouldn't have known that drug legalization was out of bounds for thread topics, except I PM'd him.

In the case where a member of the staff locks and edits a thread (as in the present case), their handle is left behind; it says who the thread was edited by.  Thus, in this instance, at the bottom of the post it states "Last Edit: Today at 11:52:15 AM by Roy Hobbs".  I agree with you that in case where a thread is locked without editing, the staff should identify the reasons for the locking, etc.

2. Admins should not rebuke posters for a post that is directed at the admin, within the course of normal discussion. If a poster challenges an admin while the admin is moving threads, moderating, etc. then by all means. But when an admin is acting as a poster, there is at least a strong appearance of impropriety when that same admin threatens a challenging poster. We all get attached to our arguments and sometimes its easy to take a substantive challenge personally, and thus over react.

I agree completely with this one, as well, and hope it's not something I'm guilty of.  If people are legitimately debating, somebody shouldn't hold the "I'm a mod" card over the other person's head.  The only times I can remember mentioning my position are when I'm trying to get a thread back on track, or I'm trying to rebuke a poster (and their are some posters who on occasion need rebuking, due to a history of misbehavior).  If this is something that people notice as a problem, they should PM either that staff member, or another member of the staff, and ask what their intentions are, etc. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  While I understand why people disagree with the locking of the thread, it's one of those topics that is simply taboo around here.

« Reply #239 on: September 05, 2007, 01:41:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

In the case where a member of the staff locks and edits a thread (as in the present case), their handle is left behind; it says who the thread was edited by.  Thus, in this instance, at the bottom of the post it states "Last Edit: Today at 11:52:15 AM by Roy Hobbs".  I agree with you that in case where a thread is locked without editing, the staff should identify the reasons for the locking, etc.

I agree completely with this one, as well, and hope it's not something I'm guilty of.  If people are legitimately debating, somebody shouldn't hold the "I'm a mod" card over the other person's head.  The only times I can remember mentioning my position are when I'm trying to get a thread back on track, or I'm trying to rebuke a poster (and their are some posters who on occasion need rebuking, due to a history of misbehavior).  If this is something that people notice as a problem, they should PM either that staff member, or another member of the staff, and ask what their intentions are, etc. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  While I understand why people disagree with the locking of the thread, it's one of those topics that is simply taboo around here.

Roy, just for future reference what are those subjects not to be discussed. I saw abortion was another that wasn't allowed. I happen to enjoy some of the political debate during these *YAWN* offseason months. What other topics should I not explore?