Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 453879 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #180 on: August 10, 2007, 01:58:06 PM »

Offline RONDO#1

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: -3
  • I would like to apologize now for what I do later.
Someone should lock this thread.

« Reply #181 on: August 10, 2007, 02:07:24 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
some cheese to go with ur wine. if a thread gets locked, no big deal...QTIP (Quit Taking It Personally). u know what the rules are (u agreed to them when u registered), if u dont like how the site is conducted, u have the choice to leave.

« Reply #182 on: August 10, 2007, 02:08:43 PM »

Offline celtfan 3.0

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
  • Slusho makes me happy!
My two cents.

Like Roy said, Mods, including myself, all pretty much have our 9-5 jobs, and read and moderate this board on the side.  It's not like we're paid staff, and in that sense we're no different then any other poster here.  We're just a bunch of imperfect human beings that make decisions on a subjective basis who happen to be die hard Celtic fans.  The only difference is that we have been recruited to help moderate this board.  I don't think any of us are on a power trip about it, but we all love this board and want the conversation to go smoothly.

Many posters here don't have a big issue with how threads are moderated.  Some do.  That's the nature of having such a large community.  We're never going to be able to please anyone.  I know for a fact that if this site was as loosely moderated as the Real GM board, I would not post here.  If posts like "KG tears an ACL" were all over the place, I'd stop coming here altogether. 

You should also consider the fact that over the past month or so, the number of new members have jumped quite a bit.  This means more and more threads are being started every day.  Every time I log on, there are 5 new threads.  That's a lot to keep an eye on.  There's 10 threads being started on the same topic, new posters coming in every day, etc.  Yes, we make mistakes, yes many of our decisions are subjective.  That's human nature.

Ultimately, the level of moderation on this board encourages respectful and intelligent conversation, which is what I personally am after.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is bunny. Please copy and paste him to your sig so that he can achieve his dream of world domination.

Reggie Miller - "The East is a crap shoot."
Dan Patrick - "Emphasis on crap."

« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2007, 03:48:26 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
The premise of this topic stems from a misperception based on something other than facts. What premises those are, I have no idea, but I do know that anyone that thinks CelticsBlog admins and moderators are locking topics left and right don't know what they are talking about.

Here's some facts. In the last three days (counting today which makes it 2.5 days) there have been 147 new topics started and 2714 posts made. During the same period there have been exactly 3 topics locked. All totaled for the last week or so, there have probably been five or six topics locked.

That doesn't count topics that got locked because the topics got moved of course. Those have nothing to do with this discussion. This discussion has been about how heavy-handed CB staff is and how we are squelching first amendment rights. Hogwash.

Topics get moved because people, usually newbies, start topics in the wrong place sometimes. Those need to be moved to where they belong. The whole idea of having multiple forums is so that people can have some sense that when they enter one, they know what is going to be in there.

We have a LOT of newbies around here. Our membership has grown almost 39% since May. That means that out of our 3200 some odd members, around 1250 of them have been here around three months or less. At the time of this post, we've had 177 join since the first of August.

Here's some more facts. In terms of new topics created and posts made, our current forum activity is over twice as high as our historical average (which includes the current numbers). The August growth rate to date is over 60% higher than the total average growth rate. Our most active days by far have been during the off-season with as many as 2,200 online at times in recent weeks.

These are the facts and they reflect the reason why we have so many moved topics. What we don't have though, is even a single shred of fact to demonstrate that CelticsBlog staff locks too many threads.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2007, 10:15:54 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
bob day, u just shut down this thread, my master ;)

« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2007, 11:12:33 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico
I think perhaps some of our folks may not realize that when we move a topic from one forum to another, we post a locked redirection topic that contains the name of the original thread. That redirection topic serves as a sign post for people who may have been interested in the original topic, but unaware of where it was relocated. Those MOVED topic notices are far more numerous than locked topics.

Probably better than 95% of the moderator actions taken around here on average involve merging and moving topics, and modifying posts (usually topic titles) with stickying, splitting, locking and deleting making up a small percentage. Here's another way to put all this in proper perspective. In the last two days there have been around 100 new topics started and around 2000 new posts made in these forums. During the same period, there were 26 moderator actions taken. Locked topics comprised 3 of those. It was a big period for thread-locking.

Welcome to the exciting world of CelticsBlog moderation!

« Reply #186 on: August 11, 2007, 12:15:28 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
The premise of this topic stems from a misperception based on something other than facts. What premises those are, I have no idea, but I do know that anyone that thinks CelticsBlog admins and moderators are locking topics left and right don't know what they are talking about.

Here's some facts. In the last three days (counting today which makes it 2.5 days) there have been 147 new topics started and 2714 posts made. During the same period there have been exactly 3 topics locked. All totaled for the last week or so, there have probably been five or six topics locked.

That doesn't count topics that got locked because the topics got moved of course. Those have nothing to do with this discussion. This discussion has been about how heavy-handed CB staff is and how we are squelching first amendment rights. Hogwash.

Topics get moved because people, usually newbies, start topics in the wrong place sometimes. Those need to be moved to where they belong. The whole idea of having multiple forums is so that people can have some sense that when they enter one, they know what is going to be in there.

We have a LOT of newbies around here. Our membership has grown almost 39% since May. That means that out of our 3200 some odd members, around 1250 of them have been here around three months or less. At the time of this post, we've had 177 join since the first of August.

Here's some more facts. In terms of new topics created and posts made, our current forum activity is over twice as high as our historical average (which includes the current numbers). The August growth rate to date is over 60% higher than the total average growth rate. Our most active days by far have been during the off-season with as many as 2,200 online at times in recent weeks.

These are the facts and they reflect the reason why we have so many moved topics. What we don't have though, is even a single shred of fact to demonstrate that CelticsBlog staff locks too many threads.

Im sure u calculate all this numbers using an   ;)
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #187 on: August 11, 2007, 12:42:24 AM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico
HEHEHEHEHE! Thanks Edgar. That is twice you've made me laugh tonight! :)

« Reply #188 on: August 11, 2007, 12:50:15 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
HEHEHEHEHE! Thanks Edgar. That is twice you've made me laugh tonight! :)

Lol....  im feeling creative tonight ...

Nice to be back!

« Reply #189 on: August 13, 2007, 10:14:14 AM »

Offline IamTheTruth

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 3
... This is the worst of the Celtics blogs. Without Flcelticsfan and the forum, no one would come here. I think stating and debating these things should be an option here. Doubt the moderators will agree but I think it is about time celtics fans on the internet had the right to voice their opinions!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 10:36:58 AM by Roy Hobbs »

« Reply #190 on: August 13, 2007, 10:17:05 AM »

Offline Rainman

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
  • I got big balls...Im a Sack King like Chris Webber
You're joking right?

This is probably the BEST Celticsblog.........
My Pinky ring worth about fiddy Bling Bling

« Reply #191 on: August 13, 2007, 10:18:29 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
See, sheer trolling like this will get you banned.  If you had a valid opinion, or posted something constructive, that's cool.  But to come on here and say we're the worst blog on the internet?  That's ban-worthy.

Please go back to your blog.  We know who you are.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #192 on: August 13, 2007, 05:10:10 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
... This is the worst of the Celtics blogs. Without Flcelticsfan and the forum, no one would come here. I think stating and debating these things should be an option here. Doubt the moderators will agree but I think it is about time celtics fans on the internet had the right to voice their opinions!

He got two TP's for that post?   ???

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #193 on: August 13, 2007, 05:13:23 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

Yes I mean theres always people with an agenda, remember u can give more than one after a while.
Hey in other news Ure halway to a STAR!!! Shiny!!!

Nice to be back!

« Reply #194 on: August 13, 2007, 08:16:47 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yes I mean theres always people with an agenda, remember u can give more than one after a while.
Hey in other news Ure halway to a STAR!!! Shiny!!!

Thanks.  Nice to crack "New Three" territory. 8)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team