Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 450205 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #810 on: October 02, 2012, 02:34:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Only thing that bothers me about the guidelines is that the profanity filter catches things it shouldn't.  I can't post a link from Marke****ch (Market__watch), or say that I'm wi****l (wist__ful) about something, because they contain a forbidden word and acronym, respectively. 

Ironically, the filter sometimes highlights "dirty" words where they might never have been noticed without it.  Wish there was a better way of telling the difference.

Us too.  w-i-s-t-f-u-l shouldn't come out like wiEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.l.  Unfortunately, though, that's the way the software is written, and I'm not sure that there's a good solution to it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #811 on: October 02, 2012, 02:37:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
btw, what about other languages? can i curse in swedish? Would you know if i did?  :P

Shockingly, we have a rule that covers that, too.  ;)

All forum posts must be in English, unless posted in a specific international forum. If posting in a international forum, please use the language of that forum, and not English.

Sadly, no Swedish (although I can't say this is a rule that we enforce very strictly, if at all.  As noted above, there's a good deal of discretion shown by the staff.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #812 on: October 02, 2012, 02:40:11 PM »

Offline flyofchange

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • "Xs and Os versus checkbooks and bottom lines"
btw, what about other languages? can i curse in swedish? Would you know if i did?  :P

Shockingly, we have a rule that covers that, too.  ;)

All forum posts must be in English, unless posted in a specific international forum. If posting in a international forum, please use the language of that forum, and not English.

Sadly, no Swedish (although I can't say this is a rule that we enforce very strictly, if at all.  As noted above, there's a good deal of discretion shown by the staff.)

haha  ;D wow! ok thanks

« Reply #813 on: October 02, 2012, 03:00:32 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Just because a large percentage of the internet -- and society in general -- seems to be engaged in a race to the bottom, doesn't mean CelticsBlog needs to lower its standards.

That's where you're wrong Roy, there is no bottom.  ;)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #814 on: October 02, 2012, 04:00:38 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Im not suggesting the forum should allow conversations to get out of control like on youtube etc where people can curse as much as they want , Im just saying the rules are WAY to strict. People should be able to express some level of anger and frustration without big brother waving the finger.

Btw, the "if you dont like it go away" approach doesnt go over that well with most people

What alternative do we have?  We're not changing our "censorship" rules under any circumstances.  We're not allowing swearing, trolling, baiting, or personal attacks.  So, you're left with a choice:  you can put up with the "censorship", or you can find another blog that you like better.

We allow people to vent their frustration all they want to.  We just ask them to do so within certain guidelines, which include not swearing.

Why? The internet is full of filth, and people worry about words, i dont understand why?

Maybe because, for me, I have a 9 year old who glances over my shoulder often and looks at CelticsBlog.

And I have a 14 y.o, and while he is a bit older and mature, he doesn't use coarse language, either. And he reads CelticsBlog often.

With all due respect if you dont think your 14 year old has heard or seen bad language your not being realistic.
Words and hard language are not nearlky as damaging to a child as all the violence and nudity the internet is full of.

Perhaps true, but I bet he knows his 14yo boy better than you.   Among all the 14 year olds in America there are those who are regularly exposed to adult language, information and activities and those who are rarely exposed to such (and everything in between).
I like that any 14 year old can read this site and not be exposed to much that would concern a parent.  That said, I prefer that 14 year olds don't post.

« Reply #815 on: October 02, 2012, 04:04:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
That said, I prefer that 14 year olds don't post.

Interesting.  Can I ask why?

Our minimum age on here is 13, I think, although there's no real way other than self-identification to police that. 

« Reply #816 on: October 02, 2012, 04:13:53 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
My 14 y.o. doesn't post, but he does read the blog several times a week.

He's expressed interest in posting once we get another computer, though.

For all I know, he may already have an account, lol...he's an independent one. I haven't restricted him from posting, nor would I. They have computers at his school and we have them over other family members homes.

Again - I don't expect a perfect blog...life isn't perfect. My son's been exposed to a LOT, so nothing really fazes him.

But I love the rules/restrictions here, and I'm glad they're in place.

« Reply #817 on: October 02, 2012, 06:20:23 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
That said, I prefer that 14 year olds don't post.

Interesting.  Can I ask why?

Our minimum age on here is 13, I think, although there's no real way other than self-identification to police that.

It's difficult to defend my position without offending young people -- which I'd rather not do.  Suffice to say I prefer adult level conversation in my private time.  Some under 18s can do that, but many can't.  True that some over 18s can't either, but that's a different topic. Fortunately, CBlog is filled with thoughtful posters regardless of age, so it hasn't really been an issue. My guess is that most who post are over 18.

Not meaning to be condescending, though it probably sounds that way.   

« Reply #818 on: October 02, 2012, 06:32:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Perhaps true, but I bet he knows his 14yo boy better than you.   Among all the 14 year olds in America there are those who are regularly exposed to adult language, information and activities and those who are rarely exposed to such (and everything in between).
I like that any 14 year old can read this site and not be exposed to much that would concern a parent.  That said, I prefer that 14 year olds don't post.

In my mind, this is not necessarily a question of exposure. I am sure adolescents are exposed to foul language plenty much. This doesn't mean that this blog should create the impression that using foul language in daily conversation in conversations with people you may not know that well is something normal. So in this sense, I like the policy, even if it is annoying at times.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #819 on: October 03, 2012, 11:14:34 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Personally I think if somebody feels that they cannot adequately express their point or idea without using the words that are censored on this site the site is a good excercise for them to expand their vocablulary.
I am eja and I support this statement.

There were some others I'm iffy on but this one in particular I agree with. There. I said it.

« Reply #820 on: October 03, 2012, 11:39:49 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Personally I think if somebody feels that they cannot adequately express their point or idea without using the words that are censored on this site the site is a good excercise for them to expand their vocablulary.

There were some others I'm iffy on but this one in particular I agree with. There. I said it.
Completely agree ... faux cursing has been in almost every thread I go to lately, even in a title or two. I'm personally not offended by it, as I use "colorful" language myself in everyday life, but this is a controlled environment, and those high standards are what made CB so attractive for me when I joined, and what cultivated positivity and mutual respect ... it's a bit discouraging to see those standards slipping of late.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #821 on: October 03, 2012, 11:43:33 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Completely agree ... faux cursing has been in almost every thread I go to lately, even in a title or two. I'm personally not offended by it, as I use "colorful" language myself in everyday life, but this is a controlled environment, and those high standards are what made CB so attractive for me when I joined, and what cultivated positivity and mutual respect ... it's a bit discouraging to see those standards slipping of late.
There's a point where it's just a Celtics board and not another unfunny George Carlin routine.

« Reply #822 on: October 03, 2012, 03:42:01 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

i agree that the faux cursing has been much more prevelent since the summer.

« Reply #823 on: October 03, 2012, 04:31:11 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I am not speaking for the Blog...but...it has been kind of busy around here lately and we have a lot of new members, some of whom may not know all the rules yet. Also, these things seem to me to be cyclical, like spammers.   Keep on reporting them and someone will get to them as soon as we can.  Thanks.  tb
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #824 on: September 14, 2013, 08:59:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'm supportive of whoever locked the Brit Griner/man thing. I don't see that going to a good or right place. I'm not sure if that's a specific rule, but then again I don't care if it is or not