Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 450037 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #795 on: October 02, 2012, 01:32:31 PM »

Offline flyofchange

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • "Xs and Os versus checkbooks and bottom lines"
Maybe its just me not understanding how you americans think when it comes to censorship.

Like they say in southpark; "horrific violence is okay, as long as they dont say any naughty words"  :P

« Reply #796 on: October 02, 2012, 01:36:57 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Why should we make a survey?  The Blog is run as a family friendly site.  It is run by Jeff, along with his staff.  It is not run by the members...it is run for the members.  Judging by the sheer number of members it is run in a way they find acceptable and even preferable.  Belonging to the Blog is a choice...you can abide by the rules and be a welcomed member, or not.   Most of us love it and are quite willing to abide by the rules.

(By the way...I am a 66 year old female, and I find dirty language to be degrading...both to the one using it and the one having to listen/read it.)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #797 on: October 02, 2012, 01:39:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Maybe its just me not understanding how you americans think when it comes to censorship.

Like they say in southpark; "horrific violence is okay, as long as they dont say any naughty words"  :P

Southpark had a solid point there about the hypocrisy of television S&P's, but that's not really the point we're making here.

The guy who owns the sandbox says no swearing. He also says no sexual innuendo, no overt violence, no personal attacks, no lots of stuff.

He doesn't do these things to get a larger base of users, or to get more adverts, he does it because he believes that's how people should act, and since its his sandbox, that's the rules we all live by.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #798 on: October 02, 2012, 01:41:03 PM »

Offline flyofchange

• Brad Stevens
Why should we make a survey?  The Blog is run as a family friendly site.  It is run by Jeff, along with his staff.  It is not run by the members...it is run for the members.  Judging by the sheer number of members it is run in a way they find acceptable and even preferable.  Belonging to the Blog is a choice...you can abide by the rules and be a welcomed member, or not.   Most of us love it and are quite willing to abide by the rules.

(By the way...I am a 66 year old female, and I find dirty language to be degrading...both to the one using it and the one having to listen/read it.)

Its not about dirty language not being allowed, its about certain expressions and words not even being dirty being blocked you see.

« Reply #799 on: October 02, 2012, 01:42:38 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Its not about dirty language not being allowed, its about certain expressions and words not even being dirty being blocked you see.

There is generally a reason. Either A) You think a borderline word isn't dirty, but the staff reached a different conclusion, B) Its a poorly executed spam filter, and should be reported, or C) Its ****. (Rhymes with 'Whitney Leers'

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #800 on: October 02, 2012, 01:46:08 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Personally I think if somebody feels that they cannot adequately express their point or idea without using the words that are censored on this site the site is a good excercise for them to expand their vocablulary. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #801 on: October 02, 2012, 01:46:38 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I refuse to move the line or compromise on moral convictions regardless of what "society" deems appropriate - whatever that means.

This is not changing folks.  Period.

The rules/restrictions are pretty clear.  They are publicly posted.  Where there is room for interpretation I fully trust the mods to take care of that.

There's also a lot of grace.  The mods don't ban people on the first, third, or sometimes 15th slip up. But we reserve the right to revoke the privilege of posting on this site if someone cannot abide by the rules.

Call it censorship if that's what makes you feel good.  I don't see it that way, but I'm not going to debate semantics.  I'm completely comfortable with the guidance that I've given the moderator staff and I am fully behind the way they've policed the site.

I hope I've made myself clear.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #802 on: October 02, 2012, 01:48:19 PM »

Offline flyofchange

• Brad Stevens

There is generally a reason. Either A) You think a borderline word isn't dirty, but the staff reached a different conclusion, B) Its a poorly executed spam filter, and should be reported, or C) Its ****. (Rhymes with 'Whitney Leers'

Ok, i guess ill have to make up my mind if i wanna stay or go then but for the record i think the way that the whole thing is constructed is kind of arbitrary and some things are kind of up to the mods to judge if things slip through the filters and that in my opinion is not okay, it creates confusion and frustration.

« Reply #803 on: October 02, 2012, 01:56:30 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Im not suggesting the forum should allow conversations to get out of control like on youtube etc where people can curse as much as they want , Im just saying the rules are WAY to strict. People should be able to express some level of anger and frustration without big brother waving the finger.

Btw, the "if you dont like it go away" approach doesnt go over that well with most people

What alternative do we have?  We're not changing our "censorship" rules under any circumstances.  We're not allowing swearing, trolling, baiting, or personal attacks.  So, you're left with a choice:  you can put up with the "censorship", or you can find another blog that you like better.

We allow people to vent their frustration all they want to.  We just ask them to do so within certain guidelines, which include not swearing.

Why? The internet is full of filth, and people worry about words, i dont understand why?

Maybe because, for me, I have a 9 year old who glances over my shoulder often and looks at CelticsBlog.

And I have a 14 y.o, and while he is a bit older and mature, he doesn't use coarse language, either. And he reads CelticsBlog often.

With all due respect if you dont think your 14 year old has heard or seen bad language your not being realistic.
Words and hard language are not nearlky as damaging to a child as all the violence and nudity the internet is full of.

I see your point, but at the same time as a parent I try to shield them from it, too.

They are both aware of it, but find them not acceptable. They are both "Church Boys", but not lacking common sense, too.

« Reply #804 on: October 02, 2012, 02:04:07 PM »

Offline flyofchange

• Brad Stevens
Im not suggesting the forum should allow conversations to get out of control like on youtube etc where people can curse as much as they want , Im just saying the rules are WAY to strict. People should be able to express some level of anger and frustration without big brother waving the finger.

Btw, the "if you dont like it go away" approach doesnt go over that well with most people

What alternative do we have?  We're not changing our "censorship" rules under any circumstances.  We're not allowing swearing, trolling, baiting, or personal attacks.  So, you're left with a choice:  you can put up with the "censorship", or you can find another blog that you like better.

We allow people to vent their frustration all they want to.  We just ask them to do so within certain guidelines, which include not swearing.

Why? The internet is full of filth, and people worry about words, i dont understand why?

Maybe because, for me, I have a 9 year old who glances over my shoulder often and looks at CelticsBlog.

And I have a 14 y.o, and while he is a bit older and mature, he doesn't use coarse language, either. And he reads CelticsBlog often.

With all due respect if you dont think your 14 year old has heard or seen bad language your not being realistic.
Words and hard language are not nearlky as damaging to a child as all the violence and nudity the internet is full of.

I see your point, but at the same time as a parent I try to shield them from it, too.

They are both aware of it, but find them not acceptable. They are both "Church Boys", but not lacking common sense, too.

Yeah, sure i can understand that and its good that you dont have any illusions about it.

« Reply #805 on: October 02, 2012, 02:04:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
... for the record i think the way that the whole thing is constructed is kind of arbitrary and some things are kind of up to the mods to judge if things slip through the filters and that in my opinion is not okay, it creates confusion and frustration.

As much as we've tried*, you can't codify every single example of rule-breaking behavior.  The staff needs to use judgment and discretion here. 

From my perspective, the mod staff shows a lot of discretion in terms of when to discipline somebody, versus just editing the offense and/or giving a warning.

* Our rules are currently 4,800 words long, and there are another 1,900 words or so of clarifications and other add-ons.  I think it's fair to say that 6,700 words is excessive, but we try to be as specific as possible.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:10:19 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #806 on: October 02, 2012, 02:16:44 PM »

Offline flyofchange

• Brad Stevens
... for the record i think the way that the whole thing is constructed is kind of arbitrary and some things are kind of up to the mods to judge if things slip through the filters and that in my opinion is not okay, it creates confusion and frustration.

As much as we've tried*, you can't codify every single example of rule-breaking behavior.  The staff needs to use judgment and discretion here. 

From my perspective, the mod staff shows a lot of discretion in terms of when to discipline somebody, versus just editing the offense and/or giving a warning.

* Our rules are currently 4,800 words long, and there are another 1,900 words or so of clarifications and other add-ons.  I think it's fair to say that 6,700 words is excessive, but we try to be as specific as possible.

WOW! yeah i would say so, thats about 4% of the english language right there, my goodness.... :o

« Reply #807 on: October 02, 2012, 02:21:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Only thing that bothers me about the guidelines is that the profanity filter catches things it shouldn't.  I can't post a link from Marke****ch (Market__watch), or say that I'm wi****l (wist__ful) about something, because they contain a forbidden word and acronym, respectively. 

Ironically, the filter sometimes highlights "dirty" words where they might never have been noticed without it.  Wish there was a better way of telling the difference.

« Reply #808 on: October 02, 2012, 02:24:23 PM »

Offline flyofchange

• Brad Stevens
btw, what about other languages? can i curse in swedish? Would you know if i did?  :P

« Reply #809 on: October 02, 2012, 02:31:03 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
btw, what about other languages? can i curse in swedish? Would you know if i did?  :P
Since we have moderators and members from all over the world, it is very possible that it would be noticed and reported...my advice is don't chance it if you decide you want to be a member in good standing, (i.e. having the ability  to post).
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!