Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 450348 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #780 on: March 30, 2012, 04:49:45 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
You're making sense, but the fact is that since a lot of the people to be mentioned (and already mentioned) in the thread were likely banned or at the very least moderated. Because of that, it was locked.

Also, while your idea is a good one, I am personally lazy, and have a life, and a job, etc...

I mention that (#humblebrag), because a lot of times sorting through a thread, and redirecting it while punishing the guilty parties is a total pain in the balls that takes much longer than one might think. Then, you have people who complain because of who was or was not punished and how, and whatever...

Honestly, as a mod, I'd rather just lock the thing and be done with it. Saves my sanity. 

we can say "pain in the balls" now? I wouldn't mind being able to say that. I can say, Rondo's risky passes are a pain in my balls or things like that. Cool!

« Reply #781 on: March 30, 2012, 04:57:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
You're making sense, but the fact is that since a lot of the people to be mentioned (and already mentioned) in the thread were likely banned or at the very least moderated. Because of that, it was locked.

Also, while your idea is a good one, I am personally lazy, and have a life, and a job, etc...

I mention that (#humblebrag), because a lot of times sorting through a thread, and redirecting it while punishing the guilty parties is a total pain in the balls that takes much longer than one might think. Then, you have people who complain because of who was or was not punished and how, and whatever...

Honestly, as a mod, I'd rather just lock the thing and be done with it. Saves my sanity. 

we can say "pain in the balls" now? I wouldn't mind being able to say that. I can say, Rondo's risky passes are a pain in my balls or things like that. Cool!

Son of a biscuit....

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #782 on: March 30, 2012, 05:10:59 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Son of a biscuit....

개새끼 같은 놈...hmmm....no filter on that either.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #783 on: October 02, 2012, 12:56:33 PM »

Offline flyofchange

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • "Xs and Os versus checkbooks and bottom lines"
Wow, this one has really stirred up a lot of emotion. As a human I dont wish injury on anyone but really as a Celtics fan it's not going to upset me any if a player on a competitor is hurt. Ray seems to have been a real class act in the NBA but I can certainly understand how a lot of celts fans take exception to him. I will say that there is too much censorship on this site in my opinion. Treat your blog like a business and treat ALL of your 'customers' with respect and your business will flourish. I worked for a company called MCI and they were huge but forgot how to treat their customers.

TP! YES! somebody finally said it. That is a fact btw, not an opinion  ;)

« Reply #784 on: October 02, 2012, 01:00:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Wow, this one has really stirred up a lot of emotion. As a human I dont wish injury on anyone but really as a Celtics fan it's not going to upset me any if a player on a competitor is hurt. Ray seems to have been a real class act in the NBA but I can certainly understand how a lot of celts fans take exception to him. I will say that there is too much censorship on this site in my opinion. Treat your blog like a business and treat ALL of your 'customers' with respect and your business will flourish. I worked for a company called MCI and they were huge but forgot how to treat their customers.

http://www.realgm.com

http://www.celticslife.com

http://www.celticshub.com

http://www.redsarmy.com

If folks don't like the "censorship" of this site, there are other alternatives out there.  Nobody is forcing you guys to be here, and I'd personally encourage you to post at a site you find to be more fulfilling and suitable to your needs.

I'm happy to discuss your views either in the Comments and Remarks forum or via private message, but if you can't appreciate that we have to keep this blog family friendly for all of our members, then I'm not sure what to say.  I really do encourage you to see what else is out there, and if you find a blog that you enjoy that has less "censorship", you should probably stay there.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #785 on: October 02, 2012, 01:09:22 PM »

Offline flyofchange

• Brad Stevens

If folks don't like the "censorship" of this site, there are other alternatives out there.  Nobody is forcing you guys to be here, and I'd personally encourage you to post at a site you find to be more fulfilling and suitable to your needs.

I'm happy to discuss your views either in the Comments and Remarks forum or via private message, but if you can't appreciate that we have to keep this blog family friendly for all of our members, then I'm not sure what to say.  I really do encourage you to see what else is out there, and if you find a blog that you enjoy that has less "censorship", you should probably stay there.

Im not suggesting the forum should allow conversations to get out of control like on youtube etc where people can curse as much as they want , Im just saying the rules are WAY to strict. People should be able to express some level of anger and frustration without big brother waving the finger.

Btw, the "if you dont like it go away" approach doesnt go over that well with most people

« Reply #786 on: October 02, 2012, 01:15:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Im not suggesting the forum should allow conversations to get out of control like on youtube etc where people can curse as much as they want , Im just saying the rules are WAY to strict. People should be able to express some level of anger and frustration without big brother waving the finger.

Btw, the "if you dont like it go away" approach doesnt go over that well with most people

What alternative do we have?  We're not changing our "censorship" rules under any circumstances.  We're not allowing swearing, trolling, baiting, or personal attacks.  So, you're left with a choice:  you can put up with the "censorship", or you can find another blog that you like better.

We allow people to vent their frustration all they want to.  We just ask them to do so within certain guidelines, which include not swearing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #787 on: October 02, 2012, 01:17:52 PM »

Offline flyofchange

• Brad Stevens

What alternative do we have?  We're not changing our "censorship" rules under any circumstances.  We're not allowing swearing, trolling, baiting, or personal attacks.  So, you're left with a choice:  you can put up with the "censorship", or you can find another blog that you like better.

We allow people to vent their frustration all they want to.  We just ask them to do so within certain guidelines, which include not swearing.

Why? The internet is full of filth, and people worry about words, i dont understand why?

« Reply #788 on: October 02, 2012, 01:20:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Why? The internet is full of filth, and people worry about words, i dont understand why?

Jeff's site, Jeff's rules.  In short, though, not everybody agrees with your level of comfort with profanity.  We try to keep this site family friendly for everyone.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:27:02 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #789 on: October 02, 2012, 01:20:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

It's Jeff's blog and he's always been about running things a certain way.  Not everyone might agree with everything about it but many of us choose to come here with the understanding of the type of blog that he wants to have and the choice to abide by that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #790 on: October 02, 2012, 01:21:11 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Maybe because, for me, I have a 9 year old who glances over my shoulder often and looks at CelticsBlog.

And I have a 14 y.o, and while he is a bit older and mature, he doesn't use coarse language, either. And he reads CelticsBlog often.

« Reply #791 on: October 02, 2012, 01:24:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

People are allowed to express anger and frustration in the forums. They're allowed to:

1) Say they're angry or frustrated.

2) Detail the causes of that anger and frustration in an interpretive dance, which they can post here (assuming the video doesn't have any overt vulgarity or nudity).

3) Take a picture online of someone being angry or frustrated, go to a Meme generator, put a caption on that picture, and then post that picture here, WITH THE NEW CAPTION, which expresses their heretofore mentioned anger and/or frustration. The picture cannot involve vulgar captions, gestures, or nudity.

These are just three ways one can express their anger or frustration on this website. There are really only a few ways you cannot:

1) Personal attacks directed towards another member.

2) Vulgarity, swearing, etc..

Now this list is non-exhaustive, there are other rules, but really this is what it breaks down to.

So if you really do just want to swear, or post vulgar pictures, or make personal attacks to vent your anger, well yah, you should go somewhere else. I know when I want to make personal profanity-laced attacks with nude pictures attached, I go somewhere else.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #792 on: October 02, 2012, 01:26:23 PM »

Offline flyofchange

• Brad Stevens

Jeff's site, Jeff's rules.  In short, though, not everybody agrees with your level of comfort with profanity.

ok, fair enough, maybe you should make a survey for all members and see what % is comfortable with being able to say what they want within certain limits. Like i said, i dont mind alot of it but it gets laughable sometimes when you realize words that 99.9% of people dont even consider to be a dirty word gets blocked.

« Reply #793 on: October 02, 2012, 01:29:51 PM »

Offline flyofchange

• Brad Stevens

Maybe because, for me, I have a 9 year old who glances over my shoulder often and looks at CelticsBlog.

And I have a 14 y.o, and while he is a bit older and mature, he doesn't use coarse language, either. And he reads CelticsBlog often.

With all due respect if you dont think your 14 year old has heard or seen bad language your not being realistic.
Words and hard language are not nearlky as damaging to a child as all the violence and nudity the internet is full of.

« Reply #794 on: October 02, 2012, 01:30:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
ok, fair enough, maybe you should make a survey for all members and see what % is comfortable with being able to say what they want within certain limits. Like i said, i dont mind alot of it but it gets laughable sometimes when you realize words that 99.9% of people dont even consider to be a dirty word gets blocked.

Even if the results were 95% to 5% in favor of allowing swearing, it's not a rule that's going to get changed.  Jeff wants this blog to stay Rated G (PG at worst), and until he has a massive change of heart (which isn't happening) the staff is going to enforce those rules.

Words and hard language are not nearlky as damaging to a child as all the violence and nudity the internet is full of.

While I doubt anybody would seriously argue that point, we don't really allow any of that stuff on here, so it's kind of irrelevant.  Just because a large percentage of the internet -- and society in general -- seems to be engaged in a race to the bottom, doesn't mean CelticsBlog needs to lower its standards.