Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 453027 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #735 on: March 13, 2011, 05:02:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I guess my only counter thought is that I didn't start the thread to put my opinion on drunkenness out there. I hardly have one.

I so so sooooooo didn't mean to offend a soul with that thread and am sooooo not offended by mmbaby either.

I kinda think we're splitting hairs.

Well one thing I think she did have a point about was that seeing a thread that says 'check in here if you're drunk' is a bit out of context with the level of conversation we like to have here...but like you say above, the intention and the content of the thread is not malicious nor classless.

I re-named it "The CB Bar and Lounge". We all know what it is, and that way, maybe it isn't such a sticking point for people with different sensibilities.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #736 on: March 13, 2011, 05:02:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Why do we always have to cave to political correctness and the one person who has a problem with something?

And I am not starting a kum by ya thread so someone else has to do it.  :-X

« Reply #737 on: March 13, 2011, 05:05:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Are we going to change the "I love steak" thread to "I enjoy consuming organic carbon based proteins which may have been part of an animal at one time" thread?

We're not, right? I mean we shouldn't. 

Or just the CB Steakhouse thread? 

Whatever is best.  Whatever gets the ratings.

« Reply #738 on: March 13, 2011, 05:07:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
To voice my opinion as a member, rather than a mod:  it's disappointing that we have to accommodate hyper-sensitive posters who can't deal with a thread because of their own personal issues.  

Just because somebody is drawn to a thread like a "moth to a flame" doesn't mean that they shouldn't be asked to deal with it like an adult.  Speaking completely candidly here:  deal with it.  The thread has survived just fine for two years now without the world falling apart, and it would have continued along those lines just fine. 

I don't think I've ever posted in that thread before today, but I'd like the chance to drunk dial Perk when I'm blitzed without having to worry about another poster complaining about the unfairness of me posting about a completely legal activity on CelticsBlog.

Putting my "mod hat" back on:  I support IP's decision, and the need to make as many posters here as comfortable as possible.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #739 on: March 13, 2011, 05:08:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
*deep breath*....I'm gonna go play X-Box and wait for the game to start.

« Reply #740 on: March 13, 2011, 05:18:24 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
It's on the front page under latest forum topics. I like to put my opinion out there just like everyone else. Isn't that what a blog is for?

And btw, I don't mind the name calling.."moral police"...in this case because I feel strongly about it and name calling is not going to run me off.

Those of us who've had a major problem with drunks in our lives are going to feel inclined to speak up when we see the title of this thread.

It's like I'm reading........Hey, I'm drunk. What do you think about that? And I am attracted to that like a moth to a flame.

Precisely. Some of us have seen lives ruined by people who drank, so now it's open season complete with the name calling the board moderators profess not to tolerate on anyone who dares disagree? Clearly, you guys are not as serious about respecting other posters as you profess.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 05:24:59 PM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #741 on: March 13, 2011, 05:23:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's on the front page under latest forum topics. I like to put my opinion out there just like everyone else. Isn't that what a blog is for?

And btw, I don't mind the name calling.."moral police"...in this case because I feel strongly about it and name calling is not going to run me off.

Those of us who've had a major problem with drunks in our lives are going to feel inclined to speak up when we see the title of this thread.

It's like I'm reading........Hey, I'm drunk. What do you think about that? And I am attracted to that like a moth to a flame.

Precisely. Some of us have seen lives ruined by people who drank. I take offense, quite frankly, to the "moral police" characterization. It is wholly inappropriate.

Sympathies for your loss, but does the mere word "drunk" offend you to the point of not being able to cope with it?

We allow all kinds of off-topic posts on here.  Some, I'm sure, are offensive to others.  For instance, the political threads that many of us enjoy are probably irritating to some posters. 

Where do you draw the line?  Do you lock a thread just because somebody is hurt by it?  Or, do you ask people to self-monitor themselves, and ask that they avoid threads that they can't handle?

It's important to note here that *nobody* has said that an anti-drinking thread is inappropriate.  In fact, it's been encouraged multiple times.  However, it seems as though people would rather complain than take the time to start a thread sharing their perspective on what they see as a problem.  I guess I don't really understand that reasoning.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #742 on: March 13, 2011, 05:23:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Precisely. Some of us have seen lives ruined by people who drank. I take offense, quite frankly, to the "moral police" characterization. It is wholly inappropriate.

Here is the thing I'm not getting...

Nobody is saying you should drink, nobody is saying it is completely harmless and without dangers, and nobody is saying that there are not people out there with debilitating problems.

What people are saying in that particular thread is "I'm having a good time, I'm drunk, and I wanted to share that with the online community I frequent".

And that's offensive? I'm not asking sarcastically..I'm seriously asking, because it does not make any sense to me.

« Reply #743 on: March 13, 2011, 05:26:30 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
Glorying in being drunk makes no sense to me, IP, but then I've buried people who died at the hands of a drunk so if it makes the moderators of this board happy to tolerate name calling of that view, so be it.

I have, will and will continue to speak about against alcohol abuse.

« Reply #744 on: March 13, 2011, 05:27:27 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

Precisely. Some of us have seen lives ruined by people who drank. I take offense, quite frankly, to the "moral police" characterization. It is wholly inappropriate. Clearly, the rules about respecting other posters aren't blanket here, are they?

Moral police is disrespectful or an insult? I didn't know that.

When one feels they have to enforce morals.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_definition_of_moral_policing

I apologize if you or the other poster took it as an insult. But "check in here if you're drunk" was pretty self explanatory..if you don't like it..don't post in that thread. It was clearly meant for fun...why ruin it for those who liked the thread.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #745 on: March 13, 2011, 05:29:05 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
No, I get it. Really disappointing to see this blog devolve into the selective application of its rules. So, if nothing else, it's helpful to understanding that respecting other posters requires the agreement of the moderators.

Consider me duly educated in the truth of this blog.

« Reply #746 on: March 13, 2011, 05:32:14 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
No, I get it. Really disappointing to see this blog devolve into the selective application of its rules.

You really want to take a shot at the mods? Because I used "moral police" in a post? Wow...I'm speechless.

I apologized if you or the other poster took it as an insult...if you don't want to accept the apology, there isn't much I can say.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #747 on: March 13, 2011, 05:34:54 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
OK, your apology is accepted.

However, a moderator took a shot at those of us who disagree in this thread in a manner that clearly would not be tolerated on a basketball subject.

This is a sensitive subject to people who've lost a loved one to a drunk. This blog has always insisted that all viewpoints be repsected by posters - until this thread began. Apparently that rule doesn't apply to the subject of alcohol. Sad to see that standard lowered.

« Reply #748 on: March 13, 2011, 05:35:19 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I have, will and will continue to speak about against alcohol abuse.

Okay, but I'm not sure who is trying to stop you. Go for it..speak out. Start a new thread that says 'Don't Drink'. As long as you fit it into site rules, it'll exist.

But, it is one thing to speak out against alcohol abuse (which to me is irrelevant in the check in thread..because I don't know that there is any indication people are acting irresponsibly), and another to hijack a thread to broadcast your own agenda.

So while I can see this is a personal issue for you, and it is one that is very close to home that you're very passionate about, I don't see why it is right to hijack someone else's thread to voice it.

No, I get it. Really disappointing to see this blog devolve into the selective application of its rules. So, if nothing else, it's helpful to understanding that respecting other posters requires the agreement of the moderators.

Consider me duly educated in the truth of this blog.

Click the "report to moderator" button if you think someone is in violation of the rules.

« Reply #749 on: March 13, 2011, 05:39:19 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
Hijacking? I wasn't aware that voicing another opinion was hijacking, but again, the rules of this blog seem to be evolving as the posts mount in this thread.

I'm really not interested in debating this further, and I'm not going to depricate your position the way the moderators have mine and others in this thread. At least some of us are going to adhere to the rules of this board.