Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 448526 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 03:49:18 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I wish discussions were more open and less regulated.

I wrote a post once calling out Celtics fans who attacked Ryan Gomes for not being onboard with the tanking.  It was intentionally incendiary because I wanted people to think hard about what right the Celtics brass has to fix games, and also about the lasting consequences of tanking.

No one was attacked individually, but I called the pro-tanking/Gomes attacking group cowardly and uncompetitive and tried to point out that Gomes was one of the few players (maybe the only one?) on our team to graduate college and seemed to actually understand that the odds of the lottory are against us getting a top two pick (which is a FACT that most people seem to breeze over).  A moderator edited out my opening paragraph because it, "attacked a group of people." 

I thought that this was a poor decision by the mod because it prevented these people from actually having to consider and defend their viewpoints from being A)Cowardly B) Non-Competive and C) Based on a poor grasp of mathematics and odds. 

My point was that we talk about Celtics Pride all the time, but when I tried to start a fiery discussion about what that actually means it was snuffed out (in my opinion) because the ideas involved weren't concrete enough, but rather based in philosophy.  Well how else can you have a conversation about an idea like "Pride" without challenging your opposition's sense of it?

In this case I thought the editing of my post prevented an important discussion from happening on this board in order to protect a majority of posters from having to defend their viewpoints on a philosophical level.

Since I was the mod who edited your post, I can say that I would absolutely do it again.  You didn't use the word "cowardly", you called other posters "cowards", if I remember correctly.  As you note, you further stated that anybody who didn't agree with you was somehow intellectually inferior to you.  While it was awhile ago, I remember that that entire paragraph used other language that was of a personal and insulting nature.  I didn't edit out anything other than your blatant name-calling and disrespectful language; the rest of your lengthy post was left intact.  Link. 

From my perspective, we want vigorous debate at times, but we don't want it getting "intentionally incendiary" or "fiery".  If you can't provoke thoughtful debate without resorting to name-calling, I'm not sure this is the right type of atmosphere for you.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 03:54:59 PM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 04:11:49 PM »

Offline TheProphet

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 12
I love the site and it's run very well.  I just wish we can get the [dang] laughing smilie back.  >:( lol
LET IT FLY GERALD!

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 04:19:47 PM »

Offline shahpound

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
I don't have a problem with  most of the rules. However, I think many of the people associated with this site do possess some amount of hubris.

The latest example of this was the "Boycott the Celtics" thread and it's subsequent follow-up threads.

With all due respect to everyone who works hard for this site the "Love it or Leave it" attitude is harsh. In addition, I personally perceived the comment that read "starting your own blog isn't that hard" as condescending.

This site does a good job of creating a central location for people to get news, discussion, and information in general regarding the Celtics. However, if the discussion isn't allowed to progress past the axis of positive, pro-Celtics, thoughts, it will unfortunetly be worthless.

There's my .02. I'm sure most will disagree with my opinion, but the fact I can state it creates a healthy forum for discussion and ideas.

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 04:30:34 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Well its the only site people worries more about Celtics Knowledge than English Knowledge....Hey that works for me  ;)
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 04:33:53 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
there is no pro-Celtics agenda here - that is a pretty obsurd accusation
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 04:42:34 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I won't be happy until we bring back negative tommy points.  Until then, i've started my own website, inspired by Florida football fans:

www.firejeffclark.com

(note: not a real site)
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 04:54:06 PM »

Offline Mother

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Well, it seems obvious that the people from the "you can't boycott" thread that turned into the "Rules Thread (merged)" are not the same people who are in this thread.  Please read those comments before you judge the votes by this thread alone.  

There seem to be those who are not happy with limits to fiery conversation and micromanagment of policy and then there are those who are happy with what they have.  Fine.  I'm super happy with this site.  I think we all are.  The reason this is a hot topic is because this blog is the only one worth investing time and effort into to make it better.  I hope the ownership is aware of this.  It's a blessing to have contravertial feedback.

However, this display of community involvment is not being recognized as such, I'm affraid.  This is not just a blog, but since it is run well, and people are truly passionate about the same thing, we are more than a blog.  This is an imporant distinction to make becasue it changes the view from the roof of the blog.  Do we treat this place like it's just a location to have discussion, or do we treat it like a community?  

What is ownership's plans for this blog?

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 05:01:28 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
we've always considered this a community, and communities generally have rules that all people agree to in order to have a sense of order and overall well being
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2007, 05:14:20 PM »

Offline celtfan 3.0

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
  • Slusho makes me happy!
However, if the discussion isn't allowed to progress past the axis of positive, pro-Celtics, thoughts, it will unfortunetly be worthless.

I don't think that is the case one bit.  I mean, the newest thread as I'm writing this is a post by someone who thinks Gerald Green is terrible.  That is far from positive.  There have been many, many, many negative threads posted about the celtics, as is understandable in a season like this.

I think that the only things the moderators are saying is that A) the negativity can't translate to personal attacks and insults on people, and B) we can't do anything to try and harm the Celtics organization like with boycotts.  I think those are more than fair.

We have had plenty of negative threads.  We have also had PLENTY of VERY fiery discussions.  Check out some of the non-basketball related threads sometime.  They get VERY heated, but for the most part, remain civil and respectful, which is the only reason the mods allow it.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is bunny. Please copy and paste him to your sig so that he can achieve his dream of world domination.

Reggie Miller - "The East is a crap shoot."
Dan Patrick - "Emphasis on crap."

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2007, 05:19:54 PM »

Offline RondoIsAPimp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 23
I wouldn't change anything about this site, props to jeff, roy, bob day, etc.

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2007, 09:45:08 PM »

Offline redd1985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 21
we've always considered this a community, and communities generally have rules that all people agree to in order to have a sense of order and overall well being

here, here... Ive been edited a few times for a various infractions, and it really doesnt bother me. Ive never felt like my opinion has been censored, because I have never allowed my opinion to become an attack on any of the posters here or a group of people.

Banner by Indeed Proceed

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2007, 07:49:56 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
From someone who has posted on over a dozen sports forums, this site is great - the admin do a very nice job. People have to remember that it's tough to control such a large and diverse audience, and that it's usually better to lock something a little bit early than letting something get out of hand.

so to all the mods and Jeff, thanks for your hard work

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2007, 11:38:55 AM »

Offline redd1985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 21
I would like to ask about the Shira Springer thread that was deleted yesterday... Was it wrong completely in conception, or did one of the posters take it too far and it snowballed from there?

Banner by Indeed Proceed

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2007, 11:39:43 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I really hope saying "this is the dumbest thread ever" is illegal. When I see posters saying that, it makes me ill. If someone does not like a subject, just avoid it. No need to make comments that would start a war of words.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2007, 11:44:29 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I really hope saying "this is the dumbest thread ever" is illegal. When I see posters saying that, it makes me ill. If someone does not like a subject, just avoid it. No need to make comments that would start a war of words.

Comments like that, or "anybody who doesn't support _______ is an idiot" aren't respectful towards other posters, and they'll be edited when I see them.  There is a fine line, though, especially in the trade ideas forum.

As for the Shira thread, I didn't delete that one, but by it's very nature threads like that are going to devolve into crude commentary.  Sometimes the staff is going to preemptively lock threads because they see them headed in a bad direction.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions