Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 450228 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2007, 05:37:30 PM »

Offline the orange soda kid

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
The bottom line (to me) is that Len Bias killed himself by being irresponisble.  He wasn't killed by a drunk driver, he didn't have cancer, it wasn't a bizarre accident...had that been the case, this would be different.  He was doing something illegal and he overdosed. 

You've never heard people make John Belushi jokes?  Kurt Cobain jokes?  What's the difference between the two?  I suspect the difference might just be that those who are bothered by this now are Celtics fans...

« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2007, 05:38:03 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
But I do feel strongly that the repressive "this thread is locked!" and "stop posting new threads!" attitude around here brings this site down greatly.

Im in the stop starting new threads crowd, although I didn't have a problem with keepin the other one open...

as far as new threads, they tick me off because its impossible to have a cogent conversation about anything, as everyone is discussing the same points on other threads. I think its limiting the argument, because far too quickly a new thread starts, often addressing the same thing previously stated or leaving important discussion points/questions unanswered.

It also annoys me because when you start a new thread, it gets a kind of infusion of attention because it will sit on the side active bar....but when people just start rapid firing threads it takes that away and makes perfectly good topics unvisited because people were too lazy to look even briefly to see if there was an ongoing discussion.

as a person who is here quite a bit its extremely annoying.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2007, 05:39:23 PM »

Offline IHeartCeltics

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: -14
Celticsblog is the top destination for very, very sensitive Celtics fans.
You are all invited to  our fine website... http://iheartceltics.blogspot.com

« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2007, 05:47:51 PM »

Offline IHeartCeltics

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: -14
It's also worth mentioning that DJ Gallo, the man behind SportsPickle, contributes to the Onion as well as ESPN.
You are all invited to  our fine website... http://iheartceltics.blogspot.com

« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2007, 05:49:34 PM »

Offline cool breeze

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 100
Bottom line is that there wasn't enough substance for it to have possibly turned into any sort of great discussion anyhow. This wasn't going to turn into the Council of Trent. Some people think that the article is funny, while the rest of us recognize it to be the worst attempt at humor in quite some time. The only thing I was offended by was the fact that the article was presented as 'humor' when, at best, it was pitiful and empty. I appreciate humor- especially in it's lowest and most crude forms- but it was devoid of humor entirely.

The difference between CelticsBlog and The Invisible Sports Pikl is that if that rag were only actually made of paper, I could actually use it as toilet tissue.

« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2007, 05:50:06 PM »

Offline celtfan 3.0

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
  • Slusho makes me happy!
I have to say, I was not following the celtics when Len Bias died.  I was only 6, and still lived in Tokyo.  But that article was not only insensitive to Bias and his family, but also to KG. 

I also want to second Roy's point that most of the comments by posters on this site was one of disgust and requests to lock the thread.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is bunny. Please copy and paste him to your sig so that he can achieve his dream of world domination.

Reggie Miller - "The East is a crap shoot."
Dan Patrick - "Emphasis on crap."

« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2007, 05:56:42 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Bottom line is that there wasn't enough substance for it to have possibly turned into any sort of great discussion anyhow. This wasn't going to turn into the Council of Trent.

Bingo.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2007, 05:58:58 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
Here' one of your quotes from that thread...

Hey Orange Soda, you must be a kid because there is no way you lived through Len's death and would find anything funny about the title or article at all.

In fact, I went through the guys site and found only 1 remotely funny pun about Bill Walsh being the victim of the East Coast West Coast Offense War.... like I said, remotely funny, but it seems this guy just likes to talk about dead people, reference dead people, or make fun of people facing charges (Vick).

Check out The Onion (onion.com).  They are who this guy is trying to be and the difference is, Onion comes up with actual humor, not just tasteless crap.

No, I didn't live through Len's death.  But that doesn't change anything.  This is a style of humor that is designed to be slightly offensive - if you don't like, don't go to his site. 

And I do know the Onion - I also know that the guy who does SportsPickle writes for the Onion - so apparently they like what he does.
And here's what I say...

Whatever. The article could not possibly have been less funny and in more poor taste. That of course reflects nothing more than the opinion of an expert on dark humor and the majority sentiment of the human race with regard to such matters. I'm sure this fundamental concept seems does not exist beyond either your or Scintan's grasp.

I did live through the Bias death.  It was just when I was really getting into basketball, and it impacted me a lot.  But still - I don't get why it was such an offensive article that the thread discussing it had to be locked down.  Len Bias's death was sad, but it wasn't tragic(he killed himself), and it happenned 20 years ago.  Is it seriously too soon?
I think it is too soon. That's why we saw the strong ripple that was just beginning. It was hitting many nerves and chords in many places in both space and time.

Most Celtics fans seem to me to appreciate a certain amount of dark humor and I promise everyone here that the entire assemblage of CelticsBlog staff does, but that article was inappropriate and I doubt there is a fine dark humor author out there that would disagree with me on that.

There is a way to use such device toward good end and art. That piece did neither. It was simply cheap, poorly timed, inconsiderate and unimaginative regardless of whatever association the author has or may not have with DJ and the Onion or whoever.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2007, 05:59:25 PM »

• Svi Mykhailiuk
Bottom line is that there wasn't enough substance for it to have possibly turned into any sort of great discussion anyhow. This wasn't going to turn into the Council of Trent.

Bingo.

I understand that.  But why lock it - why not let it die its own quiet death?  If a thread truly isn't worth a [dang] then there's no need to respond - it will simply go away on its own, no?

« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2007, 06:03:51 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Bingo.

I understand that.  But why lock it - why not let it die its own quiet death?  If a thread truly isn't worth a [dang] then there's no need to respond - it will simply go away on its own, no?

You think threads dealing with potentially inflammatory content which a majority of posters find distasteful are going to die a quiet death?  Especially when numerous posters are calling for the thread to be locked?  The internet just doesn't work that way.  Those threads have a way of turning into something nasty.  Heck, the Reggie Lewis memorial thread turned sour; I can't imagine where this one would have gone, but it certainly wouldn't have simply fizzled out into oblivion.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2007, 06:10:30 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3

Bingo.

I understand that.  But why lock it - why not let it die its own quiet death?  If a thread truly isn't worth a [dang] then there's no need to respond - it will simply go away on its own, no?
The thread was completely offensive son. To let it continue only would have brought out a heated argument between posts about the topic which could lead to someone being offensive and being banned. Which is why the thread wasn't good and was saved before it turned ugly. Thanks again R.H.
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2007, 06:14:16 PM »

• Svi Mykhailiuk
fair enough.  we disagree.  i've said my piece. 

back to not being able to wait for november - i think we can all agree on that one.

« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2007, 06:27:23 PM »

Offline George Meyer

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
That of course reflects nothing more than the opinion of an expert on dark humor and the majority sentiment of the human race with regard to such matters.

The majority sentiment of the human race is exactly the wrong arbiter of dark humor. That's why it's dark, Bob.

« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2007, 06:27:41 PM »

Offline Amir

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 48
All this complaining and groaning about why or why not threads are being locked and the job our moderators are doing is really starting to get on me. If your so concerned, leave and join another forum. Its that simple. I wonder why, like another poster said, this is one of the best fan-created sports blog in the country? Hmmm,I would think the jobs of Jeff and the mods have something to do with that, wouldn't you?

When you create a blog or site as successful as this one then Ill hear you out but, c'mon.

« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2007, 06:31:06 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
Celticsblog is the top destination for very, very sensitive Celtics fans.

I'm with you 110%.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~