Author Topic: Could Danny rip off Wallace? C's - Grizzlies trade  (Read 12430 times)

Re: Could Danny rip off Wallace? C's - Grizzlies trade
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 02:00:57 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
According to reports, Wallace has become increasingly difficult to make trade with due to backlash he received from the Gasol trade.

Poor baby!  He should be happy to still have a job after being on the losing end of one of the most one-sided trades in the history of all sports.

Just to remind everyone, Wallace traded Pau Gasol for Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittendon, Aaron McKie, the rights to Marc Gasol and 1st round picks in 2008 and 2010.

Mike

Re: Xavier Henry Trade
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 02:01:01 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Another X Henry thread?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 02:36:50 PM »

Offline EmilioBonilla

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 8
If Danny could find a way to get this done it would be his first truly impressive move of the offseason. So far Danny hasn't really done sqwat with the off-season, IMO. Sure resigning Pierce and Ray, but other than that nothing really note worthy.

i agree wholeheartedly
I bleed Green

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 02:37:45 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
According to reports, Wallace has become increasingly difficult to make trade with due to backlash he received from the Gasol trade.

Poor baby!  He should be happy to still have a job after being on the losing end of one of the most one-sided trades in the history of all sports.

Just to remind everyone, Wallace traded Pau Gasol for Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittendon, Aaron McKie, the rights to Marc Gasol and 1st round picks in 2008 and 2010.

Mike

Marc Gasol will be a top 5 center in this league. I really feel like this trade wasn’t any more one-sided as the KG-Big Al deal.

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 02:42:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Mike

Marc Gasol will be a top 5 center in this league. I really feel like this trade wasn’t any more one-sided as the KG-Big Al deal.
Then factor in that the expiring contracts allowed Memphis the space to take on Zach Randolph's contract and that Gerveis Vasquez might become something and the trade doesn't look nearly as lopsided as most make it out to be.

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 02:42:58 PM »

Offline EmilioBonilla

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 8

Poor baby!  He should be happy to still have a job after being on the losing end of one of the most one-sided trades in the history of all sports.

Mike

Except for the fact that Minnesota did get talent from it. Big Al I would say is a top 10 pf, borderline western all-star (all-star on east) when he is healthy, not so lopsided my friend. Memphis took a chance on Marc Gasol who wasnt in the league yet, no one knew he would be as good as he is.
I bleed Green

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 03:12:16 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'll just say I don't believe Danny to be the genius he's being made out to be. I think free agency is his biggest weakness and the draft is his biggest strength. I still don't know if I consider trades to be a strength or a weakness. IMO, the only truly great trades that Danny has facilitated while with the Cs is for Ray and KG.

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 03:27:49 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

Mike

Marc Gasol doesn't suck, but Memphis already had a top 5 center in the league and traded him away so that two years later they could get a guy who MIGHT be just as good?

Mike

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 03:29:27 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

Mike

Then factor in that the expiring contracts allowed Memphis the space to take on Zach Randolph's contract and that Gerveis Vasquez might become something and the trade doesn't look nearly as lopsided as most make it out to be.

Do you just say adding Zach Randolph was a positive for Memphis?  I know he's been behaving a bit better, but three years after the deal Memphis has yet to win more games than it loses in a season and they just signed TA to theoretically be their starting 2.

Mike

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 03:56:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Mike

Do you just say adding Zach Randolph was a positive for Memphis?  I know he's been behaving a bit better, but three years after the deal Memphis has yet to win more games than it loses in a season and they just signed TA to theoretically be their starting 2.

Mike
In Pau Gasol's last full season in Memphis the Grizzlies were 22-60. When Gasol got traded to LA the Grizzlies were 12-30 and well on their way towards another 22-60 year in 2007-08.

Last year they were 40-42, 18 games better than Pau Gasol's last full season and 18 games better than the year Gasol played half a season for them only 2 seasons beforehand.

That's a pretty decent improvement so yes, I think the addition of Marc Gasol and Randolph were two of the main reasons for the team's marked improvement and so would call the trade successful from the Grizzlies point of view. Could it have been better by trading with, say, Chicago who at the time were I believe willing to give up Noah, Deng and picks for Gasol? Maybe. But overall, I think they did quite well.

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 04:05:30 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didnn't they kinda just strike gold on Marc Gasol? As in, he wasn't heavily regarded and somewhat of a throw-in on the trade.

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 04:19:35 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Poor baby!  He should be happy to still have a job after being on the losing end of one of the most one-sided trades in the history of all sports.

Mike

Except for the fact that Minnesota did get talent from it. Big Al I would say is a top 10 pf, borderline western all-star (all-star on east) when he is healthy, not so lopsided my friend. Memphis took a chance on Marc Gasol who wasnt in the league yet, no one knew he would be as good as he is.

There is nothing remaining in Minny from the Garnett trade. The Grizz have pieces to show for it. Hard to call the KG trade better for the Wolves than the Gasol deal was for Mem.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 04:39:39 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Mike

There is nothing remaining in Minny from the Garnett trade. The Grizz have pieces to show for it. Hard to call the KG trade better for the Wolves than the Gasol deal was for Mem.

That's just because of injuries. Players in their early 20s with multiple 20/10 years are very hard to find.

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 04:57:32 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
if we could somehow steal Xavier Henry, it'd be a coupe for us.

Don't see it happening though, but we can dream...
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 01:54:37 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Celtics should offer Bradley and Gody for Xavier and one of Hamed or Demarre. Memphis saves plenty cash, and can save face too. They essentially swap for a guard who picked just a couple players later and fits more of a need for them while saving a lot of money. They also get another forward who can play both the 3 or 4 and looks to be a whole lot better than either Ham or Demarre (based on his play in Orlando SL). Of course, cash and a pick would probably be thrown in as well.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010