Author Topic: Inception (spoilers)  (Read 8663 times)

Re: Inception (spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 10:51:46 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
this was a great movie to see at IMAX, wow...really made you pay attention and think

I don't think the girl in front of me texting throughout it was getting it though...man I really hate going to the movies
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 09:57:56 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Ok a little late to the party, but man I finally saw Inception last night and I don't know what you guys are talking about.  To me it was boring.  My girlfriend had already seen it but wanted to see it again so we were able to have a thorough discussion about it afterwards too, and my dislike is not because I'm missing things.  She couldn't believe I wasn't on the edge of my seat the whole time, but what was there to be on the edge of your seat about.  I never once thought, "oh no will they not get out of the dream?", to me the movie didn't set it up too well like they had to accomplish a certain task in the dream or all is lost.  Oh no if they don't go 3 layers deep in the dream, the mark will never think to break up his father's company.  Is the audience supossed to really care about that? 

Also I just feel those types of movies are so predictable.  Once you understood the movie deals with layers of dream, I think most people can predict the movie is going to try to flip it at the end and make you think "wait was what we thought was reality actually a dream."  I see Shutter Island mentioned here and it's the same thing, "guy explores an insane asylum, wait he's really insane all along, or is he?"  Same kind of predictability, guy goes into dreams, wait he was dreaming all along, or is he?"  Yawn.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 10:03:22 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Ok a little late to the party, but man I finally saw Inception last night and I don't know what you guys are talking about.  To me it was boring.  My girlfriend had already seen it but wanted to see it again so we were able to have a thorough discussion about it afterwards too, and my dislike is not because I'm missing things.  She couldn't believe I wasn't on the edge of my seat the whole time, but what was there to be on the edge of your seat about.  I never once thought, "oh no will they not get out of the dream?", to me the movie didn't set it up too well like they had to accomplish a certain task in the dream or all is lost.  Oh no if they don't go 3 layers deep in the dream, the mark will never think to break up his father's company.  Is the audience supossed to really care about that? 

Also I just feel those types of movies are so predictable.  Once you understood the movie deals with layers of dream, I think most people can predict the movie is going to try to flip it at the end and make you think "wait was what we thought was reality actually a dream."  I see Shutter Island mentioned here and it's the same thing, "guy explores an insane asylum, wait he's really insane all along, or is he?"  Same kind of predictability, guy goes into dreams, wait he was dreaming all along, or is he?"  Yawn.

Yup, this is the part that really lost me too.  I wasn't feeling the sense of attachment to the urgency. It was all about money and power. 
Yup

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 10:29:15 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Ok a little late to the party, but man I finally saw Inception last night and I don't know what you guys are talking about.  To me it was boring.  My girlfriend had already seen it but wanted to see it again so we were able to have a thorough discussion about it afterwards too, and my dislike is not because I'm missing things.  She couldn't believe I wasn't on the edge of my seat the whole time, but what was there to be on the edge of your seat about.  I never once thought, "oh no will they not get out of the dream?", to me the movie didn't set it up too well like they had to accomplish a certain task in the dream or all is lost. Oh no if they don't go 3 layers deep in the dream, the mark will never think to break up his father's company.  Is the audience supossed to really care about that? 

Yup, this is the part that really lost me too.  I wasn't feeling the sense of attachment to the urgency. It was all about money and power. 

Well, the job wasn't about that... Saito was the owner of a rival company, yes and all that other good stuff. But the only reason Cobb took that job in the first place was because Saito had promised him that he would finally be able to go home and see his kids.

So no, the dissolving of Fischer's company isn't really what the audience is supposed to care about. We were supposed to care about Cobb getting back to America to finally reunite with his kids.

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 10:38:42 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
The job was about Cobb's ability to go home and see his kids after getting the shaft from his wife.

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 10:54:03 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Ok a little late to the party, but man I finally saw Inception last night and I don't know what you guys are talking about.  To me it was boring.  My girlfriend had already seen it but wanted to see it again so we were able to have a thorough discussion about it afterwards too, and my dislike is not because I'm missing things.  She couldn't believe I wasn't on the edge of my seat the whole time, but what was there to be on the edge of your seat about.  I never once thought, "oh no will they not get out of the dream?", to me the movie didn't set it up too well like they had to accomplish a certain task in the dream or all is lost. Oh no if they don't go 3 layers deep in the dream, the mark will never think to break up his father's company.  Is the audience supossed to really care about that? 

Well, the job wasn't about that... Saito was the owner of a rival company, yes and all that other good stuff. But the only reason Cobb took that job in the first place was because Saito had promised him that he would finally be able to go home and see his kids.

So no, the dissolving of Fischer's company isn't really what the audience is supposed to care about. We were supposed to care about Cobb getting back to America to finally reunite with his kids.

I mean I understand that part too, but I don't think they set it up well. 

1.  I don't feel attached to him or his kids, so the reuniting part doesn't really call out to me.  All we have from them is hearing their voices on the phone for a few seconds, and they sound like little kids with short attention spans, like they don't even miss their parents that much or realize they're gone.  It feels like they're just at grandma's for the weekend.  Not seeing their faces (although aides other parts of the movie) doesn't help me feel anything for them.  I felt about as much for Cobb's kids/family as I did for the rest of the team's families.

2.  I don't feel any urgency if he doesn't complete his task.  So if he fails, he gets off the plane, goes through customs, gets flagged, and is arrested?  We've seen guns, fights, planes, helicpoters, get aways, etc., I somehow don't feel like this guy's life is over if he steps off a commercial flight.  The cops, feds, etc. aren't going to be waiting for him the second he gets off the plane, it would be when he is flagged going through customs.  He seems like he could evade the law if things didn't go right, kind of like he has been doing.  So basically, if he fails his task, he steps off the plane, and life continues as it was before, which we don't really know if it's that good or bad.  I can think back to a movie like Enemy of the State (I don't know why, first movie that popped in my head), we see Will Smith's life fall apart, we see it in shambles, ok I want to see him get it back to the way it was, I feel for his family situation.  Not the case here, when Cobb steps off the plane, whether he completes the task or not, I feel like it's just going to be another day.

I think the continual switching between multiple dream worlds and (possibly) reality causes me not to be attached to what is going on in any of the worlds.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 11:08:16 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 11:01:53 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Right, that was Leo's reason, but what about the rest - or were they just sheep.
Yup

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 11:25:15 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Spoliers

so many theories about this movie. If he was actually dreaming the whole time before he woke up in the end in the airplane. If he was actually dreaming when he woke up in the airplane and was on level 1 dream mode.

Imo i think he woke up. In the end part of the mission Saito has gone into limbo. When Cobbs meets him they don't really know who they are but talk like they had many conversations, arrangements etc before. The key thing for me is that Saito had to be sure Cobbs pulled the mission off successfully (to incept the guys mind) before he could help him wipe his criminal record. Cobbs himself is not 100 percent he pulled off the mission successfully since he tried to incept his wives mind and doesn't want to believe she committed suicide. The hardest thing to figure out for me was did she commit suicide so that she could wake up from her dreams or actually was really awake had the idea that she was still dreaming and actually killed herself. Remember "inception" is like planting a seed of idea to the unconscious mind and when conscious the idea still going to be executed.

So when Cobbs is confident and comes to grip that his wife really did commit suicide, Saito is assured that the mission was completed. In the end he gets to see his family and even though the top doesn't actually fall down, he can't care less and is happy in a long time.

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 11:26:05 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!

I mean I understand that part too, but I don't think they set it up well. 

1.  I don't feel attached to him or his kids, so the reuniting part doesn't really call out to me.  All we have from them is hearing their voices on the phone for a few seconds, and they sound like little kids with short attention spans, like they don't even miss their parents that much or realize they're gone.  It feels like they're just at grandma's for the weekend.  Not seeing their faces (although aides other parts of the movie) doesn't help me feel anything for them.  I felt about as much for Cobb's kids/family as I did for the rest of the team's families.

2.  I don't feel any urgency if he doesn't complete his task.  So if he fails, he gets off the plane, goes through customs, gets flagged, and is arrested?  We've seen guns, fights, planes, helicpoters, get aways, etc., I somehow don't feel like this guy's life is over if he steps off a commercial flight.  The cops, feds, etc. aren't going to be waiting for him the second he gets off the plane, it would be when he is flagged going through customs.  He seems like he could evade the law if things didn't go right, kind of like he has been doing.  So basically, if he fails his task, he steps off the plane, and life continues as it was before, which we don't really know if it's that good or bad.  I can think back to a movie like Enemy of the State (I don't know why, first movie that popped in my head), we see Will Smith's life fall apart, we see it in shambles, ok I want to see him get it back to the way it was, I feel for his family situation.  Not the case here, when Cobb steps off the plane, whether he completes the task or not, I feel like it's just going to be another day.

I think the continaul switching between multiple dream worlds and (possibly) reality causes me not to be attached to what is going on in any of the worlds.

Wasn't the urgency of not completing the task being stuck in Limbo or something of that regard? That doesn't really seem like it'd be too great of an experience. And sure we saw all those guns and chases and whatnot but most (if not all of that) were in dreams. You're probably right that realistically he wouldn't get mobbed by authorities the second he got off the plane but assuming he did fail the mission and didn't end up in Limbo and woke up like normal I'm not sure if he would have had an easy time evading the police in reality.

His kids dullness was a question mark for me, as well actually. I could never understand if whenever we saw them on screen if they were just projections from memories he's haunted by and can't change or what. I don't know.. That movie has more theories and interpretations than you could shake a stick at.

The question mark for the whole movie with me, though is the Mal's top that Cobb seemed to obtain somehow. Now Arthur had his weighted die and Ariadne had her chess piece so they could tell if they were dreaming or not.. But Cobb's top (Which I don't understand HOW he owns it anyway. Did he manage to pull it out of Mal's dream?) is completely vulnerable to someone who's been trained to defend the dream attacks.. They could see how the top spins and if they needed to could just make the top fall in their dream. I think it works like that.. Not sure one hundred percent, though.

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 11:26:49 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!

Right, that was Leo's reason, but what about the rest - or were they just sheep.

Everyone says "Baahhh" when there's money involved.

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 04:08:32 AM »

Offline Brendon

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 0
What I love about this movie is how it is using the dream as an a llegory of life. Everyone you talk to in life is in your dream.