Author Topic: Inception (spoilers)  (Read 8657 times)

Inception (spoilers)
« on: July 17, 2010, 01:33:01 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
This is a great movie.  

My question for those that have seen it is....

Why did Leo and Mol leave their children to spend 50 years in the dream world?  

Anyway this is a must see movie.  It's plot is either flawed, ambiguous, or brilliant.  I don't know which one but it's fun to talk about.  
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 02:04:16 PM by Roy Hobbs »

Re: Inception (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 02:07:42 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
Because it wasn't fifty years in the real world, and they didn't spend fifty years in the dream world at once. I imagine it was more over a the course of time and it also depends on how many levels of dreams were involved.

If I am correct on the movie premise, depending on the level of the dream within the dream, time fluctuates.

It also could have been time they spent before their children were born.

Anyways, it was a great movie and some of the concepts really make you think.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 06:26:49 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
This is a great movie.  

My question for those that have seen it is....

Why did Leo and Mol leave their children to spend 50 years in the dream world?  

Anyway this is a must see movie.  It's plot is either flawed, ambiguous, or brilliant.  I don't know which one but it's fun to talk about.  

While the person who replied to you is right in that it wasn't 50 years in the real world, it was still 50 years to them.  So they're children didn't notice that they were gone for a long time, but to them it seemed like 50 years. I agree in that it shows that Leo and Mol consciously chose to spend 50 years apart from their children which to me seems immoral.

Overall, I thought it is a pretty good movie. The cinematography was excellent. Everything was really epic.

But the whole 'what if its just another layer of the dream?' thing seemed lame to me.
I just kept thinking, "and what if they wake up from this, and its just another dream,".

And why were they like super heroes? Inside the dream, like the 3rd rock from the sun guy in the hotel, why is he able to just fight everyone off? Or the white dude in the snow fort, he kills like 50 people. They're not supposed to have special powers in the dreams.

And one last note, on the thing Leo spins to tell if he's dreaming or not: the whole movie, I was just thinking that he came up with that idea, while already in a dream, so it really doesn't matter at all if it spins or not. That just tells him what layer of dream he is in, but he can't tell whether or not its real or a dream.

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 06:54:29 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Re-posting this to this thread...

**** (Out of 4)

This film was astounding. I went in to the theater with extremely high expectations after following this film for the better part of two years. I consider Christopher Nolan to be one of the best living directors out there. Memento is on my short list of roughly 30 movies that I have deemed "perfect". The Prestige had me interested in magic for weeks afterward, and it continues to have that affect after each viewing. Insomnia was an excellent crime thriller although not quite as BIG as Nolan's other films. The Dark Knight pulled off a miracle by getting me interested in a superhero movie. As a child I was never in the least bit interested in superheroes. I never picked up a comic. I never watched previous superhero movies. The Spiderman, X-Men, etc. hype never caught me.

Inception joins Memento on that short list of top notch movies. With that being said, I still will need to view this movie a couple more times in order to get a full grasp on the plot. The movie starts off very confusing as Nolan chooses to cut back and forth within the story much like he did with Memento. Eventually the audience starts to get a grasp of what exactly is going on. Then there was about 45 minutes of full understanding before the ending which was also a bit confusing... I wouldn't say it was confusing. It was just an ambiguous ending a lot like Shutter Island that has evidence supporting two different views of the entire movie.

Hans Zimmer composed a score for this film comparable to the greatness of his "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Last Samurai" scores. The music went along perfectly with the film and succeeded in setting the tone for each scene. With that being said I don't think I could listen to it alone in the car like I can with my favorite film scores like Slumdog Millionaire, The Assassination of Jesse James, Atonement, etc.

The acting was excellent as I expected it to be. With a cast boasting the likes of Leonardo DiCaprio, Marion Cotillard, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ken Watanabe, and Michael Caine you can't expect anything other than brilliance. Ellen Page stepped up for me as well, she was a terrific character to the story and I can't imagine anybody playing the part better than she did. Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy were brilliant. I had never heard of either of them before seeing Inception, but I am excited to see more from them in the future.

As far as the plot goes, I do not want to give away too much. It was an extremely complex movie similar to a David Lynch movie, Memento, Eyes Wide Shut, etc. The film is about dreams and the way that it is filmed, in its entirety, is similar to the structure of a dream. Dom Cobb, played by Leonardo DiCaprio, enters the minds of others through group dreaming in order to steal their ideas. Of course dreams are not always simple. We have lucid dreams, nightmares, multi-layered dreams, etc. Our minds are extremely complicated as is this film. Again I don't want to give away too much about this plot. 1 because I don't want to spoil it. 2 because I need more viewings to fully understand it.

See this film if you are a Nolan fan, an action fan, a DiCaprio fan, a psychological thriller fan, etc. One trailer for this movie says that it is The Matrix meets James Bond. I believe that is an accurate description for what exactly the genre of this movie would be. In order to also bring the plot, acting, and sheer greatness into play you can say it is The Matrix meets Bond, meets Memento, meets Shutter Island, meets the Dark Knight. I would prefer to just say that the movie is Inception and with all of the similarities it has to other films, I found it to be completely original.

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 07:13:38 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
It was all a dream  :o

Or maybe not...

If you don't forget it's a sci fi film the various plot holes are easier to deal with.  Like why did they have to kill themselves by having a train run over their heads?  That seems a bit excessive.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 07:09:23 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Best movie I've seen in years... The biggest mystery to me is whether or not the reality established in the movie was in fact reality and a non dream. If it was real then I beleive the top stopped and if it wasn't we'll have a sequel.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 07:14:36 PM by Jsaad »
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 07:19:09 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
50 years to the kids would have been like an hour or so in the real world. In the movie they say something about 10 minutes in the real world would be 6 years in the 4th stage of the dream world.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 07:56:14 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I think the whole movie was a dream.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 07:57:30 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Why?

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 07:59:14 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I don't.  At the end, the top wobbled.  Once it started wobbling, it would have inevitably fell, meaning it wasn't a dream.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 08:14:20 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I saw it and enjoyed it, but I definitely wouldn't rank it as a masterpiece.  I bought into the plausibility that they had found a way to tap into people's dreams (and actually really appreciated that they didn't spend a whole heck of a lot of time trying to describe how it worked - you just had to accept that it did).  That was ok with me.

What bothered me was the reason for devising this multi-layered Inception scheme could have been a lot better than the one they used.  Given the amount of thought that went into the movie, I wished they had come up with a more meaningful cause.
Yup

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 08:14:30 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
Best movie I've seen in years... The biggest mystery to me is whether or not the reality established in the movie was in fact reality and a non dream. If it was real then I beleive the top stopped and if it wasn't we'll have a sequel.

I don't think it was a dream all along.  Nolan was just messing with us.  Giving us something to talk about.

Earlier in the movie you see Leo spin the top and it drops (which means he wasn't dreaming at that point in time).

If I remember correctly, the next time we see him go into a dream is the first of the 4 levels in Fischer's mind.  And we see him come out of each one of those dreams. 

So he has to be in reality right?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 08:21:49 PM by shookones99 »
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 08:15:30 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I don't.  At the end, the top wobbled.  Once it started wobbling, it would have inevitably fell, meaning it wasn't a dream.

Well if you look closely the kids are wearing the same clothes as they were in previous dreams so maybe not.  

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 09:17:11 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

And why were they like super heroes? Inside the dream, like the 3rd rock from the sun guy in the hotel, why is he able to just fight everyone off? Or the white dude in the snow fort, he kills like 50 people. They're not supposed to have special powers in the dreams.

this kind of bothered me at first.  but remember, that the people in the dreams are not real people, they are representations of the dreamer's subconscious.  their ability to be beaten, killed or outwitted depends on the strength of the antagonistic side of the subconscious.  this protective part of the dreamer's mind could presumably be less powerful than the will of the dream sharers, who are more intentionally going about their business.

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 09:54:50 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

I don't think it was a dream all along.  Nolan was just messing with us.  Giving us something to talk about.

Earlier in the movie you see Leo spin the top and it drops (which means he wasn't dreaming at that point in time).

If I remember correctly, the next time we see him go into a dream is the first of the 4 levels in Fischer's mind.  And we see him come out of each one of those dreams. 

So he has to be in reality right?

Not necessarily. What if in his dream's the top can stop? If you remember, the top was his wife's way of knowing reality and not his.

There's so many different angles.