Author Topic: Battier??  (Read 10612 times)

Re: Battier??
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 05:08:37 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 05:11:21 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
I don't think Houston is interested in just dumping Battier.  The only scenario I see them giving him up for Sheed (and a pick) would be if they needed Sheed's contract and possibly the pick as part of a larger package for them to get another star.  There have been a lot of rumors of them looking to make a big trade, and Sheed could help them pull it off, depending on the team they are dealing with.  My favorite package that I have come up with so far would be something like this:

Boston sends: Sheed, first rounder
Boston gets: Battier

Houston sends: Battier, Brooks, Jeffries, NY 2012 first rounder
Houston gets: Granger, TJ Ford

Indiana sends: Granger, Ford
Indiana gets: Sheed, Brooks, Jeffries, Boston 2011 first rounder, NY 2012 first rounder

Houston gets their star to put with Martin, Scola, and Yao.  Indy saves a ton of cash, and get a young, talented PG, and a couple first rounders.  And of course, Boston gets the perfect wing off the bench.

Indy isn't going to trade their only star to "save a ton of cash"

They could simply move Murphy or Dunleavy along with Ford for the same purpose.

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 05:14:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think Houston is interested in just dumping Battier.  The only scenario I see them giving him up for Sheed (and a pick) would be if they needed Sheed's contract and possibly the pick as part of a larger package for them to get another star.  There have been a lot of rumors of them looking to make a big trade, and Sheed could help them pull it off, depending on the team they are dealing with.  My favorite package that I have come up with so far would be something like this:

Boston sends: Sheed, first rounder
Boston gets: Battier

Houston sends: Battier, Brooks, Jeffries, NY 2012 first rounder
Houston gets: Granger, TJ Ford

Indiana sends: Granger, Ford
Indiana gets: Sheed, Brooks, Jeffries, Boston 2011 first rounder, NY 2012 first rounder

Houston gets their star to put with Martin, Scola, and Yao.  Indy saves a ton of cash, and get a young, talented PG, and a couple first rounders.  And of course, Boston gets the perfect wing off the bench.

Indy isn't going to trade their only star to "save a ton of cash"

They could simply move Murphy or Dunleavy along with Ford for the same purpose.

They don't.  They trade him for a 25 year old PG who averaged nearly 20 points per game last season.  The picks and cash savings are just a bonus.

This is based on rumors that Granger is available, and they drafted George as essentially a replacement. 

But again, it was just a suggest of the kind of deal Houston would be interested in, where the C's could slide in to get Battier...since they are not getting him in a straight up deal.

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 06:27:04 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Battier would be a terrific addition.

But I would love it if we could somehow get Ariza for Sheed's contract and a future pick of some sort. Ariza is younger, and is a good defender, can rebound, and can hit the 3 occasionally.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 06:31:38 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Boy, you turn Sheed's deal into Battier or Ariza and we are good to go.

Co sign

Co sign

Co-Co-Co sign

Co-Co-Co-Co sign

Allow me to Co-Co-Co-Co-Co sign.  That would be a great use of Sheed's contract.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 06:56:44 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
shane or ariza please

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 08:30:28 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Battier or Ariza would be a nice pick-up for Sheed's deal.  Ariza, if interested in coming here, would get the chance to beat LA for his ring.  perhaps an extra incentive for him to play hard in the finals.

If this were to go down, hopefully Danny's got a decent vet-min wing and big man lined up for the bench.  of course, vet-min and 'decent' is pretty much an oxymoron like 'jumbo shrimp' but it's what we're left with.

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 08:48:33 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Battier's on the last year of his deal, so even if HOU wanted to shed salary, they would unload someone else.

Ariza is more likely if that is the only concern. But, unless we give up a nice piece along with the contract (like a draft pick that comes after KG/Ray are done), I don't see Morey going for it. He's too patient and smart, and I think he won't make too many moves until learning where Yao stands.

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 10:28:39 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Battier sheed works straight up why add a draft pick.  I would love to get him and Patrick Patterson but that can't happen until Aug because Patterson is a rook.

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 10:34:04 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I can easily explain my thoughts on this one: would love to get Battier, don't think Hou does any two team trade with us.

If you want to propose Battier to BOS, my thought is you need a three team trade:

Battier -> BOS
Sheed+Cash -> Another team
Asstes -> Hou

For example Hou gets draft picks, trade exception, young players. Otherwise why would they give up Battier? They clearly still think they can win now (otherwise, why sign Brad Miller?) Battier, even if somewhat redundant with Ariza, is still a solid bench player. And the reality is he and Ariza are both SF, but they compliment each other - one is a slasher, and one is a shooter. They can both defend either wing spot.

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 10:35:23 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Boy, you turn Sheed's deal into Battier or Ariza and we are good to go.

Co sign

Co sign

Co-Co-Co sign

Co-Co-Co-Co sign

Allow me to Co-Co-Co-Co-Co sign.  That would be a great use of Sheed's contract.

Id' Co-Co-Co-Co etc. Sign that as well but it will not happen.  That would be a lot of value that the Rockets don't need or want to give up for Sheed's contract.  Houston, with Yao back, will be a very good team and I don't know why they would possibly trade two pieces like Ariza and Battier for cap space right now.  I'm sure they are thinking about contending in the West.

The four best teams in the West next year will probably be the Lakers, Rockets, Thunder, and Mavericks.  This trade would take them right out of the hunt.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 10:50:42 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I'm not sure they have a glut of wing guys. Jeffries and Jordan Hill are bigs.

They actually have pretty nice depth.

They would be looking for an upgrade over Ariza who was awful offensively last year (shooting the ball anyway). Any contender would be insane to trade away Battier.

A nice thought but there is are reasons Darryl Morey is a genius and giving away talent for nothing is not among those reasons.

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 11:55:31 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This sounds like NY Yankeeitis: If we like someone on another team, then we have to collect him for our team, and get him for nothing. It doesn't work that way, here in the NBA.

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 10:15:36 PM »

Offline lilfotoman

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
ariza ariza!

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 10:30:24 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
One quick amendment to my post: it seems that the Rockets aren't actually that cap conscious after all. Their team salary the last couple of years was in the 73/74 mil range, way over the tax threshold, which leads me to believe that they'd be comfortable with a payroll of around 75 mil for 2010-2011. If Yao's healthy, they are absolutely STACKED. They go about 12 deep with quality players that complement each other really well.

The Rockets were actually a hair under the tax last year.

Strongly doubt they move either Battier or Ariza: they are fond of both and both project to play a significant role for them.

Jared Jeffries is probably the only contract they are looking to move. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri