Author Topic: Battier??  (Read 10586 times)

Battier??
« on: July 16, 2010, 03:48:53 PM »

Offline theham

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
This idea came from Chris Forsberg's chat: Rasheed for Battier. It really couldn't be a better fit. The salary tax conscious Rockets just added about 15 mil to their payroll by my calculations by resigning Scola and Lowry. As it stands, they're closing in on a $75 mil payroll for next season, about ten mil over the luxury tax threshold. And they have a glut of guys at the wing: Ariza, Budinger, Jordan Hill, Jeffries, Martin (too many guys practically). Plus Morey obviously has strong connections to Boston.

And Battier is EXACTLY what the C's need: a tough veteran perimeter defender who can shoot, does all the little things and only has one year left on his deal. Shouldn't this deal go down? I think the C's become legit contenders again with the addition of Battier.

Re: Battier??
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 03:52:29 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
I would love if we can get Battier or Ariza with Sheed's contract.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 03:53:11 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
This idea came from Chris Forsberg's chat: Rasheed for Battier. It really couldn't be a better fit. The salary tax conscious Rockets just added about 15 mil to their payroll by my calculations by resigning Scola and Lowry. As it stands, they're closing in on a $75 mil payroll for next season, about ten mil over the luxury tax threshold. And they have a glut of guys at the wing: Ariza, Budinger, Jordan Hill, Jeffries, Martin (too many guys practically). Plus Morey obviously has strong connections to Boston.

And Battier is EXACTLY what the C's need: a tough veteran perimeter defender who can shoot, does all the little things and only has one year left on his deal. Shouldn't this deal go down? I think the C's become legit contenders again with the addition of Battier.

TP for Post. I like this. I like this option a little better than Barnes, especially if Barnes is undecided. Battier could help us at the 2 as well.

If this works out, I'll have to change my mid-season grade from B to an A.

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 03:53:47 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
this would be the ideal situation for the celtics. I've wanted him since 2008.

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 03:55:32 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Boy, you turn Sheed's deal into Battier or Ariza and we are good to go.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 04:02:37 PM »

Offline theham

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
One quick amendment to my post: it seems that the Rockets aren't actually that cap conscious after all. Their team salary the last couple of years was in the 73/74 mil range, way over the tax threshold, which leads me to believe that they'd be comfortable with a payroll of around 75 mil for 2010-2011. If Yao's healthy, they are absolutely STACKED. They go about 12 deep with quality players that complement each other really well.

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 04:07:48 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
I think we might need to use Sheed's contract to get back a couple of middle ground quality players instead of just one player.  We still need another big and a wing.  In a dream world we convince one of the smarter GM's in the league to give us Ariza and Patterson for Sheed, Lafayette, and a 1st rounder.  But he would laught and counter with Jeffries for Sheed.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 04:30:14 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
This is a better option than Brewer was, or that Rudy Fernandez is (he's still probably very much in the mix). If we could get one of these two guys, then add two minimum guys at the 2 and 5, we're probably in business.

Now that Houston has Scola and Lowry back in the fold, maybe they're ready to make a deal.

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 04:31:17 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164

Co sign
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 04:34:50 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

Co sign

Co sign
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 04:41:17 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Battier would be an amazing addition.

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 04:43:43 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

The C's are exactly what Battier needs at this point in his career. He is on a young team with an unrealistic shot at contending and will be competing for home court advantage in the first round. I am sure he would love to play for a blue collar veteran team. He is not as good as Posey was in my opinion in 2008, doesn't have an edge to him like Posey did, but he will be the best bench player we have had since Posey.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 04:48:33 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Get him or Ariza.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 04:48:57 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 04:57:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think Houston is interested in just dumping Battier.  The only scenario I see them giving him up for Sheed (and a pick) would be if they needed Sheed's contract and possibly the pick as part of a larger package for them to get another star.  There have been a lot of rumors of them looking to make a big trade, and Sheed could help them pull it off, depending on the team they are dealing with.  My favorite package that I have come up with so far would be something like this:

Boston sends: Sheed, first rounder
Boston gets: Battier

Houston sends: Battier, Brooks, Jeffries, NY 2012 first rounder
Houston gets: Granger, TJ Ford

Indiana sends: Granger, Ford
Indiana gets: Sheed, Brooks, Jeffries, Boston 2011 first rounder, NY 2012 first rounder

Houston gets their star to put with Martin, Scola, and Yao.  Indy saves a ton of cash, and get a young, talented PG, and a couple first rounders.  And of course, Boston gets the perfect wing off the bench.