Author Topic: Maverick Carter involved in police investigation over LeBron pendant  (Read 5969 times)

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
This is from channel 5 ABC WEWS...

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/lebron-pendant-now-center-of-police-investigation

LeBron pendant now center of police investigation

Woman says she was forced to hand over pendant

WADSWORTH, Ohio - Just a few days ago, Vaneisha Robinson believed her dreams were about to come true. As NewsChannel5 and newsnet5.com first reported, Robinson paid $5 for a pendant in the shape of Lebron James's number 23 jersey at a yard sale four years ago.

Robinson thought it was costume jewelry until she had it appraised and certified by International Gemological Institute, which said the diamond-studded, gold jewelry was real and valued at nearly $10,000.

The amateur boxer put the pendant up for sale on eBay, hoping to use the proceeds to open her own gym.

On Wednesday, Robinson said she got a phone call that turned her dream into a nightmare. Robinson said it was Katherine L. Powers, the mother of Maverick O. Carter. Carter is the CEO of LeBron James's marketing company, LRMR.

"[Powers] said that LeBron James was at her house and they wanted me to come over there. They were going to make me an offer that I couldn't refuse," Robinson said.

Turns out the one-of-a-kind pendant belongs to Carter, who claims it was stolen. Robinson said she and her mother went to the Wadsworth house Carter shares with his mother, believing James was going to buy the pendant and give it back to Carter.

"When I got there, LeBron James was not there. It was about eight or nine other people there," Robinson said. "They pretty much accused me, they threatened me and they used their authority to they (sic) best ability to get the pendant in their possession."

Robinson said she and her mother drove to Carter's house in the 500 block of Caledonia Drive in her mother's pickup truck.

"They blocked her truck in the driveway. They told us that we weren't going anywhere until they got that pendant. I was scared for my life," she said.

Wadsworth police said they were called around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday night by a woman visiting a neighbor of Powers. According to a recording of the 911 call, the woman heard loud arguing. She said she called the police at Powers’s request.

"I walked away from that. I just kept walking just in case something was about to happen," the woman told the 911 dispatcher.

WEB EXTRA: Click on the play button below to hear the 911 call:

A Wadsworth police spokesperson said Robinson and her mother had already left when they arrived on scene. Powers was the only one there. She had the pendant.

"Ms. Powers showed me the pendant in question and I was able to determine that it was a one-of-a-kind item and it did actually belong to Mr. Carter," said Sgt. James Elchlinger.

Elchlinger said Carter was not at the house during the incident. A receptionist at LRMR told NewsChannel5 Thursday that Carter was unavailable for comment. Powers was not home when a reporter stopped at the house seeking an interview.

The case is under investigation.

Robinson did not call police Wednesday night, but showed up at the station Thursday afternoon. Robinson said she was advised to get a lawyer.

Police are trying to determine if the pendant was ever reported stolen. But Robinson maintains she could not have had the jewelry certified by the I.G.S. if it were stolen property.

The boxer vowed her next fight will be in a court of law.

"There was no serial number on that pendant so it's untraceable," Robinson said. "That pendant is mine. It belongs to me. I want it back."

There is a sound clip of the police call on the site.

This is LeBron James best friend?  Why would the Cavaliers let these guys around the team and ik telling LeBron his friends can do w.e. they want was one of the reasons they got him, but I still don't understand why they're allowing them to hang around with the team?
This is a very weird story.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Re: Maverick Carter involved in police investigation over LeBron pendant
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 10:54:57 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
I did hear about the pendant thing on the news, but wow I had no idea that this took incident took place afterwards.

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 10:55:58 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
I did hear about the pendant thing on the news, but wow I had no idea that this took incident took place afterwards.

Yeah I heard about the pendant thing and how the girl found it was worth so much, but I just found out about this incident that happened afterwards minutes ago too.

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 11:09:55 PM »

Offline Trifecta

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • #18 at any cost.

"[Powers] said that LeBron James was at her house and they wanted me to come over there. They were going to make me an offer that I couldn't refuse," Robinson said.

I guess they've never seen "The Godfather"..?
KO and Zeller, aka Hopeless and Helpless aka the Twin Towers of Futility.

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 11:51:15 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I think the fact that is getting over-looked is that this guy actually owned this pendant. Seems a little ridiculous for a grown man to be wearing his friend's jersey around his neck...
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 12:06:45 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I think the fact that is getting over-looked is that this guy actually owned this pendant. Seems a little ridiculous for a grown man to be wearing his friend's jersey around his neck...

Agreed.

If its his pendant, give it back.

Lebron may not be loyal to the Cavaliers, but he is loyal to his childhood friends. Didn't he fire his old agent 5years ago, and hire 3 close friends when they were 23 to run his empire. A risky move back then. 5 years later Lebron is the biggest name in the sports.

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
5 years later Lebron is the biggest name in the sports.

Because having his posse pretend to be his "agents" while CAA runs everything has something to do with it?

I think the 2 straight MVP awards and Finals appearance have a lot more to do with it.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 12:09:18 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

Agreed.

Lebron may not be loyal to the Cavaliers, but he is loyal to his friends. Didn't he fire his old agent 5years ago, and hire 3 close friends when they were 23 to run his empire. A risky move back then. 5 years later Lebron is the biggest name in the sports.

Nobody knows right now if it was his pendant.  Also that risky move LeBron made isn't looking so good right now.  I'm sure LeBron's old agent wouldn't have adviced him to do "The Debacle".

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 12:17:25 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544

Agreed.

Lebron may not be loyal to the Cavaliers, but he is loyal to his friends. Didn't he fire his old agent 5years ago, and hire 3 close friends when they were 23 to run his empire. A risky move back then. 5 years later Lebron is the biggest name in the sports.

Nobody knows right now if it was his pendant.  Also that risky move LeBron made isn't looking so good right now.  I'm sure LeBron's old agent wouldn't have adviced him to do "The Debacle".

Small blemish. People will forget it once the championships start piling up. All athletes have a hiccups. As long as Lebron becomes a champion all will be forgotten & forgiven.

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 12:19:29 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

Agreed.

Nobody knows right now if it was his pendant.  Also that risky move LeBron made isn't looking so good right now.  I'm sure LeBron's old agent wouldn't have adviced him to do "The Debacle".

People will forget it once the championships start piling up. All athletes have a hiccups. As long as Lebron becomes a championship all will be forgotten & forgiven.

To the casual fan and definitely not to the people of Cleveland.

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 01:09:05 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Thanks for post, Mike-Dub.

My question is why isn't ESPN covering this? They covered "The Decision", right?

Do an "Outside The Lines", article on it, or something..

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 02:25:58 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Want to know how messed up this whole LeBron thing is? We all know who Maverick Carter IS. Think about that for a second.

We know who LeBron James's business manager is. The guy, who lives with his mom, and helps LeBron figure out what to do with his truck loads of cash. We actually know who he is. We're even talking about him.

Why, in the name of everything basketball, should we give a flying crap about who Maverick Carter is?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner