Author Topic: David Kahn really is an idiot (as we all know)! Interview on NBA TV with C-Webb  (Read 20805 times)

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
The guy just insulted him. I thought he did well not to be a complete and utter ****. He made a quick retort and had a sarcastic tone. If that was Charles Barley and Kahn tried to compare Darko to him, Barkely would have gone off. Larry Bird would have said worse if he was compared to Darko. Any superstar would. I thought Webber did well to contain himself.

Just because other people made have said worse things doesn't make what C-Webb said right.  I don't see why he couldn't just say nothing.

I don't think you get the mindset man.  These guys are big time competitors. Like Nickagenta says here, guys like Larry Bird would not take kindly to this kind of comparison.  C-Webb worked hard to become a great basketball player, and I'm sure he doesn't want to be compared to a player like Darko.  Sorry but that's how it is and for a competitor he did that about as nicely as he could.  And he was a teammate of Vlade so I'm sure took that pretty insultingly too.

I know what you're saying but he still could have just let it go.  It definitely could have been a lot worse though. 

Personally, I respect CWeb for defending himself and his career. Myself, I have never seen Chris play in his prime- if a GM like Khan starts comparing the two, viewers like me might actually start thinking that they were indeed comparable. I would have loved to see Barkley in that situation and his comments....

That's a big part of it.  C-Webb is a competitive guy and after you play I'm sure you want your body of work respected since you can't jump out on the floor and defend yourself. People who have never seen C-Webb play might think that Kahn's statement would be accurate, but it is anything but. 
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
He did kinda compare careers by sayin Chris really wasnt that good till he went to Sacremento,
that is not what he said.
Here is what was said:

CWebb: ....All it takes is for someone to believe in you and put you into a position for success so I'll definitely be looking forward to watching his growth with you guys this year.

Kahn: Well, and I think your career is somewhat indicative. What year was it that you feel like kinda like that you felt like that you were on your own in the league?

CWebb: Well...you know....well...I'm not really sure but we not really talking about me and Darko at the same time. (Laughs)

Kahn: But not til you got to Sacramento did your career take off!?!?

That's exactly what was said. He said his career is somewhat indicative of the way Darko's can be looked at. That Darko is now just feeling like he's coming into his own on the league and that it took time, similar to CWebb's career, even giving the start of his career at Sacramento as a starting point for when Webber first started to feel like he belonged in the league.

I posted the first for years of Webber career above. He didn't get to Sactown until two years after that. Does it appear, according to his stats or from what you((or I) remember of watching his game that the man didn't feel like he belonged straight from the get go?

Kahn is comparing the first years of a guy that he admits wasn't ready for the NBA or good enough to be the second pick in the draft with a man who came into the league and was immediately a 20/10 threat and averaged 20/10 in his third year.

How can the inference not be that he was saying that Webber's early game was like Darko's early game? Sorry Moranis, you are just not seeing and hearing what the rest of us are. What Kahn said was stupid and insulting and he's an idiot for saying it and deserves all the scorn Webber hurled his way.
Or I listened to the context of the whole thing.  Just preceding that he was talkinga bout maturity and growing up and getting comfortable.  It was clear what Kahn was talking about.  He followed up what you posted by saying their careers weren't mirrors. 

What you've posted alone certainly could be construed as you did, but not when you take the entire context of the conversation.  It was obvious what Kahn meant.  CWebb way over reacted.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't understand the vitriol being throw at Chris Webber here. Kahn tried to say that Darko was young and immature and ill prepared for NBA basketball and intimated that it took Chris Webber time to adjust to NBA basketball as well, going so far as to mention being that way until he reached Sacramento.

Except that Chris Webber's stats compared to those of Darko completely refute what Kahn is talking about:

Chris Webber     Darko Milicic

1st year  MPG    32.1              4.7
              PPG    17.5              1.4
              RPG     9.1               1.3
              APG     3.6               0.2
              BPG     2.2               0.4
              SPG     1.2               0.2

2nd year  MPG    38.3              6.9
              PPG    20.1              1.8
              RPG     9.6               1.2
              APG     4.7               0.2
              BPG     1.6               0.5
              SPG     1.5               0.1

3rd year  MPG    37.2             13.9
              PPG    23.7              4.8
              RPG     7.6               2.7
              APG     5.0               0.7
              BPG     0.6               1.4
              SPG     1.8               0.3

4th year  MPG    39.0             23.9
              PPG    20.1              8.0
              RPG    10.3               5,5
              APG     4.6               1.1
              BPG     1.9               1.8
              SPG     1.7               0.6

I mean, come on. If you were Chris Webber and had the career he did and started off your career the way you did and then later on if possibly one of the worst GMs in the league over the last 20 years then tried to intimate that you somehow didn't get it or played as poorly as Darko Milicic during the same period, my guess is you would be a little insulted and say some stuff as well.

C-Webb should have been insulted but he could have been a professional basketball analyst and polite person and not said anything. 
I disagree. Analysts are far more edgy these days.

Kahn is insulting Weber's legacy in order to try to legitimize his own personnel move. I would rather see a former player react like that than letting a basketball exec get away with saying nonsense.

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't understand the vitriol being throw at Chris Webber here. Kahn tried to say that Darko was young and immature and ill prepared for NBA basketball and intimated that it took Chris Webber time to adjust to NBA basketball as well, going so far as to mention being that way until he reached Sacramento.

Except that Chris Webber's stats compared to those of Darko completely refute what Kahn is talking about:

Chris Webber     Darko Milicic

1st year  MPG    32.1              4.7
              PPG    17.5              1.4
              RPG     9.1               1.3
              APG     3.6               0.2
              BPG     2.2               0.4
              SPG     1.2               0.2

2nd year  MPG    38.3              6.9
              PPG    20.1              1.8
              RPG     9.6               1.2
              APG     4.7               0.2
              BPG     1.6               0.5
              SPG     1.5               0.1

3rd year  MPG    37.2             13.9
              PPG    23.7              4.8
              RPG     7.6               2.7
              APG     5.0               0.7
              BPG     0.6               1.4
              SPG     1.8               0.3

4th year  MPG    39.0             23.9
              PPG    20.1              8.0
              RPG    10.3               5,5
              APG     4.6               1.1
              BPG     1.9               1.8
              SPG     1.7               0.6

I mean, come on. If you were Chris Webber and had the career he did and started off your career the way you did and then later on if possibly one of the worst GMs in the league over the last 20 years then tried to intimate that you somehow didn't get it or played as poorly as Darko Milicic during the same period, my guess is you would be a little insulted and say some stuff as well.

Anyone notice that Webber's per game rookie stats are just a little better than the sum of Darko's per game stats over his first 4 years, excluding blocks?

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He did kinda compare careers by sayin Chris really wasnt that good till he went to Sacremento,
that is not what he said.
Here is what was said:

CWebb: ....All it takes is for someone to believe in you and put you into a position for success so I'll definitely be looking forward to watching his growth with you guys this year.

Kahn: Well, and I think your career is somewhat indicative. What year was it that you feel like kinda like that you felt like that you were on your own in the league?

CWebb: Well...you know....well...I'm not really sure but we not really talking about me and Darko at the same time. (Laughs)

Kahn: But not til you got to Sacramento did your career take off!?!?

That's exactly what was said. He said his career is somewhat indicative of the way Darko's can be looked at. That Darko is now just feeling like he's coming into his own on the league and that it took time, similar to CWebb's career, even giving the start of his career at Sacramento as a starting point for when Webber first started to feel like he belonged in the league.

I posted the first for years of Webber career above. He didn't get to Sactown until two years after that. Does it appear, according to his stats or from what you((or I) remember of watching his game that the man didn't feel like he belonged straight from the get go?

Kahn is comparing the first years of a guy that he admits wasn't ready for the NBA or good enough to be the second pick in the draft with a man who came into the league and was immediately a 20/10 threat and averaged 20/10 in his third year.

How can the inference not be that he was saying that Webber's early game was like Darko's early game? Sorry Moranis, you are just not seeing and hearing what the rest of us are. What Kahn said was stupid and insulting and he's an idiot for saying it and deserves all the scorn Webber hurled his way.
Or I listened to the context of the whole thing.  Just preceding that he was talkinga bout maturity and growing up and getting comfortable.  It was clear what Kahn was talking about.  He followed up what you posted by saying their careers weren't mirrors. 

What you've posted alone certainly could be construed as you did, but not when you take the entire context of the conversation.  It was obvious what Kahn meant.  CWebb way over reacted.
I did not misconstrue anything and I am also taking into consideration the context. He was talking about his total game. He mentioned not being ready and started playing better in Orlando and then went to Memphis and New York where things didn't work out or weren't used. In this "context" he is inferring that Darko was good enough to play and play well but wasn't given the opportunity.

For cry aye, he compared his passing to that of Vlade Divac. Darko's Per36 assist numbers only ever went over 2 assists per 36 minutes once in his career. His passing IS NOT anywhere near that of Vlade.

Then he went into the above quotes. Was he talking maturity? Yes. But he was also talking performance and preparation and ability and that is what Webber understood and what many, many other are also understanding.

You are one that is focusing solely on Kahn's comments regarding getting married and growing up some and taking the above comments to pertain solely towards that area. That could have been what he meant but even then he is dead wrong to compare Webber in that manner because Webber just never exhibited an immaturity that severely effected his game to the point of making him ineffective.

The point is preposterous. Webber's maturity, whatever it may or may not have been, ever was to the point that it effected his play. He played like a star from the very moment he got onto the court and matured into an almost all-time great. Darko has matured from someone who didn't belong in the league to someone who is at best a marginal role player on the worst team in the league.

I am dumbfounded that anyone could listen to what Kahn said and read the actual words said and not think what he said could be looked at but anything as an insult to Chris Webber.

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
If Kahn believes for one millisecond that Darko's career will remotely look anything like C-Webb's, then his rating on the jackass barometer just went up another 100 points...  Darko is lucky to be in the league...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Kahn started off with a direct comparison between Vlade Divacs, one of the best passing big men ever and a teammate of Webbers. Webber was shocked but let him keep going even adding a comment about how sometimes guys just need a team to believe in their talents.

Then...

Kahn starts drawing comparisons to Webber's career saying his career didnt take off until he got to Sacramento which was 100% false. That was the first winning team he was on but he was a great player from day one.

Webber played it pretty cool and didnt take it too far considering he was talking to a moron.

Even the beginning about creating a winning culture. He starts talking about upgrading facilities and how they now have lunch and breakfast before and after practice...um what?