Author Topic: David Kahn really is an idiot (as we all know)! Interview on NBA TV with C-Webb  (Read 20795 times)

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Here's what A. Sherrod Blakely had to say about this...

This is what Webber tweeted...

Darko is the best passing big man that Kahn has EVER seen besides Vlade Da-DE!! True story!! WOW

And here's Blakely's reply...

@realchriswebber People who haven't seen Darko on a day-in, day-out basis have no idea how good he is in this phase of the game.

I believe Sherrod.  It still doesn't take away that Kahn is an idiot, but Chris Webber is pretty arrogant himself and showed it in that interview.

Vlade is maybe the best passing big man of all time though.  I seriously doubt he is as good as Vlade.  Maybe he's better than we all think but not THAT much better.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
I like the part where Chris Webber says we are not discussing me and Darko in the same sentence.
Never should a guy like C-Webb, who is a 20-10 career guy, be mentioned with an underachiever like Darko in the same day, let alone the same scentence.
it wasn't a comparison on ability or careers though, Khan merely said that in his opinion it took CWebb until he got to Sacto to really become comfortable in the league and had finally matured enough to handle the NBA (and that is from an American with two years of college at a major university).  Khan's point is Darko was way too young and immature to handle the NBA and he should have never been the 2nd pick.  Khan believes he is finally in a position to handle the NBA and start to live up to his potential.  Remember Darko is only 24 right now.  Most players are in their primes from 26-30.

CWebb just came off like a complete **** with his comments.
Okay...  But C-Webb getting acclimated to the league still had him putting up big numbers before getting to Sacramento.  He was still a 20 ppg scorer with Golden State and Washington in his early 20's. Maybe Darko does figure it out, but C-Webb had a hell of a career and was always a consisitent player, statistically speaking.  If I was Webber, I too would have taken offense to Kahn's comments, even of he didn't mean it that way.  Kahn should have just said "Sometimes it takes bigs some time to develop," and that's it.  No need to bring C-Webb into it.

Still C-Webb didn't have to be a jerk about it even if he took offense to it and it isn't true at all.  Also C-Webb hasn't seen Darko play day in and day out like Blakey said so he doesn't know how good of a passer he is.  Sometimes it is best to keep your mouth shut and just go along with it, even though Kahn was being an idiot. 

C-Webb knew what Kahn meant, but just kept being a jerk about it and should have kept quiet and went along with it.  Instead he just made himself look like an arrogant jerk, which he has done plenty of times, especially when he was working with Gary Payton at NBA TV, boy was that awful!

In no way am I defending Kahn because he sounded just as bad and should have made better comparisons, but maybe Darko is a really good passer and we just don't know it because he's never gotten the chance.  I definitely trust Blakely over both of them and he even said that people who haven't seen Darko on a day-in, day-out basis have no idea how good he is in this phase of the game.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

Darko is the best passing big man that Kahn has EVER seen besides Vlade Da-DE!! True story!! WOW

@realchriswebber People who haven't seen Darko on a day-in, day-out basis have no idea how good he is in this phase of the game.

I believe Sherrod.  It still doesn't take away that Kahn is an idiot, but Chris Webber is pretty arrogant himself and showed it in that interview.

Vlade is maybe the best passing big man of all time though.  I seriously doubt he is as good as Vlade.  Maybe he's better than we all think but not THAT much better.

Oh I definitely don't think he as good as Vlade, but he probably is a lot better than we all think.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

I don't see why anyone is defending Kahn here. He overstepped being reasonable when he said Darko was second best besides Vlade. He can be supportive of his players without being ridiculous. I am pretty sure people would get annoyed if Ainge said that BBD was the second best offensive rebounder he has ever seen outside of Moses Malone. Also it is pretty fair for Chris Webber to take offense to that cause he was a better big man at passing then Darko.

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I really don't see a problem with what Webber was saying.  It really was stupid of Kahn to compare Darko to C-Webb, who was pretty much a 20-10 machine right out of college.

He just asked what Kahn saw in Darko to give him that contract, and then Kahn just starts talking nonsense about him being the best-passing big man, etc.  The guy has no clue.

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Oh I definitely don't think he as good as Vlade, but he probably is a lot better than we all think.

Sure, maybe he is IN PRACTICE.  That's practice.  You have to do it on the floor.

Anyways, Vlade again being the best big passer ever, look at all the current bigs who are great passers, like KG and Shaq for example.  He is not better at passing than they are.  It's just such hyperbole to say on national TV.  He could have aimed lower than Vlade.  This isn't some fan or writer either, he's the GM for the team.  If you make statements like that as a guy who evaluates basketball talent you will not be taken seriously.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Khan didn't compare Darko to CWebb, though.  He never even remotely tried, he was merely trying to relate to CWebb about his adjustment period when he entered the league.  You know about taking time to get comfortable, growing up, adjusting to the life and pressure, etc.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
I really don't see a problem with what Webber was saying.  It really was stupid of Kahn to compare Darko to C-Webb, who was pretty much a 20-10 machine right out of college.

He just asked what Kahn saw in Darko to give him that contract, and then Kahn just starts talking nonsense about him being the best-passing big man, etc.  The guy has no clue.

Yes but sometimes it is best to keep your mouth shut and go along with it.  Webber's never had a sense of that ever.

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

Sure, maybe he is IN PRACTICE.  That's practice.  You have to do it on the floor.

Anyways, Vlade again being the best big passer ever, look at all the current bigs who are great passers, like KG and Shaq for example.  He is not better at passing than they are.  It's just such hyperbole to say on national TV.  He could have aimed lower than Vlade.  This isn't some fan or writer either, he's the GM for the team.  If you make statements like that as a guy who evaluates basketball talent you will not be taken seriously.

I don't agree with Kahn's comparison's, but Webber didn't have to be an **** about it and could have went a long with it. 

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Yes but sometimes it is best to keep your mouth shut and go along with it.  Webber's never had a sense of that ever.

Why should he keep his mouth shut?  I hate boring "yes" men commentators who eat up anything anyone says.  If you make a statement like that you should be called out, especially if you're being paid to evaluate basketball talent.

There's a reason people like Barkley.  Even if he isn't right or even sensical, he has opinions and that's interesting.  Weber is the same, and usually more sound with his logic.  I'm a fan.

Offline gileyal

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
I don't think Webber was being arrogant - definitely not in basketball player level arrogance (re Lebron). To me, he was basically trying to say he has nothing in common with one of the worst draft picks in recent history.

CWEBB was a great player and I can see why he would be offended.

I like the comment about placing yourself in a position to gain from trades but with Kahn as GM I doubt many players will want to go there and he just sold Al Jefferson for almost nothing at the worst possible timing.

As a real estate guy I would have expected him to sell when the market was high, and not when it was very low. Would it have killed him to hold on to Jefferson and wait for a better offer?

Anyways, great comments across the board. Gave out a ton of TP's on this thread.

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

Why should he keep his mouth shut?  I hate boring "yes" men commentators who eat up anything anyone says.  If you make a statement like that you should be called out, especially if you're being paid to evaluate basketball talent.

There's a reason people like Barkley.  Even if he isn't right or even sensical, he has opinions and that's interesting.  Weber is the same, and usually more sound with his logic.  I'm a fan.

Did you watch NBA TV when C-Webb and Gary Payton worked together?

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

And maybe he should keep his mouth shut to be polite. 

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Gary Payton and Chris webber working together was kind of must see tv.

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

I don't see why anyone is defending Kahn here. He overstepped being reasonable when he said Darko was second best besides Vlade. He can be supportive of his players without being ridiculous. I am pretty sure people would get annoyed if Ainge said that BBD was the second best offensive rebounder he has ever seen outside of Moses Malone. Also it is pretty fair for Chris Webber to take offense to that cause he was a better big man at passing then Darko.

I wouldn't be so sure of that... there are some people here who would be offended and say that BBD is BETTER at offensive rebounding than Moses Malone.