Author Topic: David Kahn really is an idiot (as we all know)! Interview on NBA TV with C-Webb  (Read 20813 times)

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Does anyone know what Kahn's career path was? I'm starting to believe I genuinely have a shot at being an NBA GM.

Sportswriter, lawyer, real estate developer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Kahn_%28sports_executive%29
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I can't stop laughing. "I know we haven't improved in terms of wins and losses but we have established a team breakfast and lunch, and renovated the locker room".

Amazing.

Does anyone know what Kahn's career path was? I'm starting to believe I genuinely have a shot at being an NBA GM.
That line got me too hahaha you should never start off an interview like that. Then he tried to compare Weber to Darko... hahaha "good luck..." That team is doomed.

Become Legendary.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Sportswriter, lawyer, real estate developer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Kahn_%28sports_executive%29

And apparently interior designer and food connoisseur too ...

There were no improvements in terms of wins and losses, but our facilities, our practice court, our weight room, needed to be upgrade-they were. We modernized our players lounge. We do things now that we have never done before. We have breakfast and lunch now, you know, before and after practice.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
What exactly was wrong with that interview?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline JudsonMerrill

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 8
I don't want to defend Kahn since I don't understand what he's doing and most of his moves seem boneheaded. But. RealGM pointed out the other day that with the Jefferson trade they have no contracts over $5M on their roster. Even the Darko contract and its baffling 4 years isn't a backbreaker.

I agree that cap room isn't valuable to the Wolves but they could become a very attractive trade partner for a few years to come. They have lots of small, reasonable contracts with young players that they could package together, along with high picks and lots of cap room to make things even easier.

There's no evidence Kahn will make smart trades but his roster is built to be very trade friendly/flexible. So, you know, he'll be free to swing for the fences and pick up Gilbert Arenas's $18M tab. Finally get some PG depth out there.  
--
The Pool, an e-novella
Available at judsonmerrill.com

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Kevin Love interview with Will Brinson of Fanhouse.com

WB: Alright, let's talk Timberwolves -- you've had two really good personal years so far, but you guys just traded Al Jefferson and you have what, um, is, uh, an interesting roster ... can you even begin to project anything for the year?

KL: "Interesting," that's a good word for it.

[Laughter]

WB: Well, there have been some weird moves!

KL: No, for sure -- I didn't even know we had Kosta Koufos until this morning.

WB: Really?

Offline joe forte loves scoobydoo

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 9
I like the part where Chris Webber says we are not discussing me and Darko in the same sentence.
Never should a guy like C-Webb, who is a 20-10 career guy, be mentioned with an underachiever like Darko in the same day, let alone the same scentence.

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Here's what A. Sherrod Blakely had to say about this...

This is what Webber tweeted...

Darko is the best passing big man that Kahn has EVER seen besides Vlade Da-DE!! True story!! WOW

And here's Blakely's reply...

@realchriswebber People who haven't seen Darko on a day-in, day-out basis have no idea how good he is in this phase of the game.

I believe Sherrod.  It still doesn't take away that Kahn is an idiot, but Chris Webber is pretty arrogant himself and showed it in that interview.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I like the part where Chris Webber says we are not discussing me and Darko in the same sentence.
Never should a guy like C-Webb, who is a 20-10 career guy, be mentioned with an underachiever like Darko in the same day, let alone the same scentence.
it wasn't a comparison on ability or careers though, Khan merely said that in his opinion it took CWebb until he got to Sacto to really become comfortable in the league and had finally matured enough to handle the NBA (and that is from an American with two years of college at a major university).  Khan's point is Darko was way too young and immature to handle the NBA and he should have never been the 2nd pick.  Khan believes he is finally in a position to handle the NBA and start to live up to his potential.  Remember Darko is only 24 right now.  Most players are in their primes from 26-30.

CWebb just came off like a complete Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. with his comments.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
CWebb just came off like a complete **** with his comments.

Very true.  Kahn looks like an idiot after this interview, when does he not lol, and C-Webb looks like a jerk after this interview.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
CWebb earned the right the be offended by those Kahn comments with the way he played in the league. They were insulting. CWebb is one of the best analysts in basketball in my eyes. He has well formed opinions.

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Wow.  Compared to the salaries other teams are paying, Minny had to open a soup kitchen for players at their practice facility?

Seriously, Kahn is right about Darko's skills and maturity, but dumb to try to compare him to C-Webb right in front of C-Webb.  It only showed that Kahn has no idea how good Vlade and C-Webb were. 

Truly, Darko and Love's skills are better matches for the triangle than Big Al's, since Al isn't much of a passer.  Still, I have no idea why he was so eager to dump him for so little.  Is he so focused on getting the pieces he wants that he's getting ripped off from valuable pieces he doesn't want?

Offline joe forte loves scoobydoo

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 9
it wasn't a comparison on ability or careers though, Khan merely said that in his opinion it took CWebb until he got to Sacto to really become comfortable in the league and had finally matured enough to handle the NBA (and that is from an American with two years of college at a major university).  Khan's point is Darko was way too young and immature to handle the NBA and he should have never been the 2nd pick.  Khan believes he is finally in a position to handle the NBA and start to live up to his potential.  Remember Darko is only 24 right now.  Most players are in their primes from 26-30.

CWebb just came off like a complete **** with his comments.
Okay...  But C-Webb getting acclimated to the league still had him putting up big numbers before getting to Sacramento.  He was still a 20 ppg scorer with Golden State and Washington in his early 20's. Maybe Darko does figure it out, but C-Webb had a hell of a career and was always a consisitent player, statistically speaking.  If I was Webber, I too would have taken offense to Kahn's comments, even of he didn't mean it that way.  Kahn should have just said "Sometimes it takes bigs some time to develop," and that's it.  No need to bring C-Webb into it.

Funny Exchange b/t Kahn and Webber
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2010, 03:46:06 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
 sorry...please delete

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
I can't stop laughing. "I know we haven't improved in terms of wins and losses but we have established a team breakfast and lunch, and renovated the locker room".

Amazing.

Personally, I think we should all just sit back and enjoy the Kahn era. It's getting harder to find GMs this outlandishly bad.

That said - I do like your chances of getting hired somewhere.