Author Topic: Rashad McCants anyone? (Idea)  (Read 9349 times)

Re: Rashad McCants
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 04:45:25 PM »

Offline Tw1x990

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 47
It seems like I only post when a Kings player is being discussed, oh well. Here are my thoughts on Rashad.

I watched him play for the Kings, he played well. He reminded me of a Bonzi Wells type player without the rebounding. He was a 'bully 2 guard' Took guys off the dribble, could shoot, even post up. He can be a good player, and at least on the Kings for the few games he was there - didnt seem like a ball hog at all.

In fact, a lot of fellow Kings Fans wanted us to sign him after the season ended. It was just a matter of numbers though, with Evans, Udrih, Martin, and Garcia at the 1/2 it didnt make enough sense to spend the money on a guy who deserved playing time, but wouldnt get it on that roster.

I think he could fit in with this celtics team. We have the locker room guys to contain whatever issues he has ( I personally see nothing wrong with the guy, and I dont know why he has that 'headcase' label. It doesnt make sense to me )

Only problem is that with Rondo, Nate, Bradley .. then you add in McCants .. that makes 3 backup combo guards.

There is no doubt in my mind McCants is a better player than Nate. Hard to comment on Bradley who hasnt played in the NBA yet, but Im sure Rashad would be better than him too in his rookie year.

Re: Rashad McCants anyone? (Idea)
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 05:16:01 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think signing McCants to a minimum deal, possibly ungauranteed, would be a very nice move for the C's.  Very low risk high reward.  McCants has undenialble talent.  He has good ball handling skills, a nice perimeter jump shot, athleticism, and good size for a SG.

There is a very interesting article on ESPN.com, although you must be an "insider" to read the article.  He really seems to be a good guy, just a little misunderstood.  I think being out of the league for a while has humbled him.  He also seemed to have a good relationship with KG in the time they were in Minnesota together.

McCants stings of a player who just needs one opportunity.  One opportunity with the right team, a team who could provide him with the veteran leadership to succeed.  I think his past relationship with KG, in adddition to Doc's mentoring personality, could really work out well for McCants.

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2010, 06:17:05 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
I just read the ESPN article.  It seems like he left a *very* bad taste in the mouth of multiple organizations.  I was surprised by the number of execs and players willing to go on record about how they didn't like him.

McCants is a talent, but I didn't like that, even now, he says he's going to do things "his way".  He may be willing to humble himself to some degree, but not as much as will probably be required.

Agreed fully.  I think the quote from a GM was "I've heard nothing but bad things about you."  That article was startling, in that to this day McCants is still in full blown denial, and continues to have a "I'm not doing anything wrong, everyone else is just out to get me" mentality.  He had three different people (including head coaches) tell him he should consider seeing a psychiatrist but completely played it off as everyone else being the crazy ones.

He's pretty much blackballed from the league at this point.  What I gathered from the ESPN article is that to this day, nothing anyone has told him is registering.  Doesn't sound like there's a redemption story here.

My take too. I don't think he's much different than he was years ago. And everyone knows it.

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 04:00:59 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
It seems like I only post when a Kings player is being discussed, oh well. Here are my thoughts on Rashad.

I watched him play for the Kings, he played well. He reminded me of a Bonzi Wells type player without the rebounding. He was a 'bully 2 guard' Took guys off the dribble, could shoot, even post up. He can be a good player, and at least on the Kings for the few games he was there - didnt seem like a ball hog at all.

In fact, a lot of fellow Kings Fans wanted us to sign him after the season ended. It was just a matter of numbers though, with Evans, Udrih, Martin, and Garcia at the 1/2 it didnt make enough sense to spend the money on a guy who deserved playing time, but wouldnt get it on that roster.

I think he could fit in with this celtics team. We have the locker room guys to contain whatever issues he has ( I personally see nothing wrong with the guy, and I dont know why he has that 'headcase' label. It doesnt make sense to me )

Only problem is that with Rondo, Nate, Bradley .. then you add in McCants .. that makes 3 backup combo guards.

There is no doubt in my mind McCants is a better player than Nate. Hard to comment on Bradley who hasnt played in the NBA yet, but Im sure Rashad would be better than him too in his rookie year.

I don't get the fuss either. His mentality actually reminds me of Rondo. Since he is an off-the-court friend of KG, I have a hard time believing he would be any kind of distraction here. And if we dealt with Stephon Marbury, I really don't think McCants will be difficult.

I think Rashad can play a natural 2 just fine, a backup to Ray (Nate and Bradley aren't conventional 2 guards). If we get him, all we really need is a decent 3 (Barnes?) and the second unit is BY FAR the best in the NBA. Half the team are already nutcases, but they are a family. This is undoubtedly a team like no other, egos are checked at the door, and winning is the remedy for all problems anyway.

Rondo/Nate
Ray/Rashad/Bradley
Pierce/(Barnes?)
KG/Baby
Perk/O'Neal/(Vet Min to get us through the first half)

Heck, with that team, I may just want Rasheed to come back after all.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 07:16:00 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I just read the ESPN article.  It seems like he left a *very* bad taste in the mouth of multiple organizations.  I was surprised by the number of execs and players willing to go on record about how they didn't like him.

McCants is a talent, but I didn't like that, even now, he says he's going to do things "his way".  He may be willing to humble himself to some degree, but not as much as will probably be required.

Agreed fully.  I think the quote from a GM was "I've heard nothing but bad things about you."  That article was startling, in that to this day McCants is still in full blown denial, and continues to have a "I'm not doing anything wrong, everyone else is just out to get me" mentality.  He had three different people (including head coaches) tell him he should consider seeing a psychiatrist but completely played it off as everyone else being the crazy ones.

He's pretty much blackballed from the league at this point.  What I gathered from the ESPN article is that to this day, nothing anyone has told him is registering.  Doesn't sound like there's a redemption story here.

My take too. I don't think he's much different than he was years ago. And everyone knows it.

I've seen him have on court meltdowns when a coach has pulled him from a game and I've seen him be a black hole oblivious to the rest of his team. He's not hooking on in the NBA for a reason and we have a few knuckleheads on our team already. He's more toxic based upon what I've seen of him and if he's in denial as other posters have noted, then he's not a good candidate for personal redemption wearing the green.