Author Topic: Gomes signs with Clippers  (Read 2427 times)

Gomes signs with Clippers
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:09:56 PM »

Offline celts34pats55

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 26
I think we can all agree with the following: ugh

Would have really liked to have seen him back in Green, but figured it was a long shot. It was going to take more than a minimum deal, and we clearly needed a center first and foremost with Perk's injury. Still holding out hope we can get an "instant offense" type in a trade for Sheed's contract.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmdnBsetsdyoXwaMd4DyXb2LvLYF?slug=ys-gomesclippers070810

Crazy that Randy Foye gets more than vet min. Kinda reminds you of what the C's had to do to get anything (Scal) via free agency years ago.

Re: Gomes signs with Clippers
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 11:11:56 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Gomes makes sense with LAC, didn't fit our rotation. Actually Gomes and Foye add nice depth to that team.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 11:14:51 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I am a fan of Gomes, but I don't have much confidence that he would be able to contribute much here. I would rather play Baby at this point, and Gomes still isn't a legit 3.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 01:15:33 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I guess he likes playing for losing teams. Oh well.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 01:18:26 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

I dunno. The clips are quietly building a nice little team out there.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 01:19:54 AM »

Offline BostonArizona

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 53
I've got a soft spot for the clippers.

Starting lineup of:
Baron Davis
Eric Gordon
Ryan Gomes
Blake Griffin
Chris Kaman

I like it. possible 8th seed?

I agree though that the clippers need another SF so Gomes can move the 4 as much as possible. Gomes' PER jumps more than 4 points when he plays PF instead of SF.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 01:21:42 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Clippers actually not that terrible....

this is weird.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 05:46:26 AM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
Hate to break it to everyone, but Gomes and Foye are not good at playing basketball, just like the Clippers.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 05:49:20 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
Disappointed in their decision to sign Foye. I thought they would have been better off playing and developing Bledsoe. The decision to add Foye to the mix only serves to hold back Bledsoe's development.

Ryan Gomes is a solid albeit unspectacular signing. Probably shouldn't have given him that much money and instead only signed him for one season ... but it's the Clippers so it's not like it matters a great deal either way.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 07:24:39 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Hate to break it to everyone, but Gomes and Foye are not good at playing basketball, just like the Clippers.

I disagree.  I think they are extremely solid bench players.  You're not going to get a bench full of all-stars, those guys aren't too good defensively, but offensively they will have some scorers off the bench.
do it

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 07:52:25 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Disappointed in their decision to sign Foye. I thought they would have been better off playing and developing Bledsoe. The decision to add Foye to the mix only serves to hold back Bledsoe's development.

You're making the mistake in assuming that playing time results in development. Bledsoe is only 19 years old and pressure to contribute right away is the last thing he needs. He barely knows how to play the college game (as a PG) so I think giving him time to learn will only help him.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 07:55:14 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Too bad, I would have liked Gomes in Boston. Hopefully this shows the exit to Rasual Butler who decides to sign a minimum contract with us!

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 08:37:10 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
It's a littme more than I expected Gomes to sign for.  He looked like an LLE-level player to me; around $2M for a season, maybe with a player option on year 2.

What's the deal with Rasual Butler?  Haven't watched too many Clippers games, but if the Clips think of Gomes as being an improvement over Butler...  well, that makes me a little nervous!

EDIT: Guess my impression of Butler over the years is that he's pretty much the epitome of a "replacement-level" kind of player; OK at everything, but not very good at anything in particular.  But, that's kind of how I feel about Gomes.  They just looking to get a little younger, or are they looking at Gomes more at the PF spot?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:08:28 AM by the_Bird »

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 09:17:47 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

If you are a role player like Gomes you HAVE to go where the money is. How many contracts above the league minimum is he going to get? Unless a contending team offered him the same money, which I doubt, this was absolutely the right move.

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 11:23:40 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

If you are a role player like Gomes you HAVE to go where the money is. How many contracts above the league minimum is he going to get? Unless a contending team offered him the same money, which I doubt, this was absolutely the right move.

Yes but it's the Clippers. the Clippers...

Become Legendary.