Author Topic: Ainge's other 1st round nba draft pick interests  (Read 4801 times)

Ainge's other 1st round nba draft pick interests
« on: July 04, 2010, 12:16:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Post draft interview where he is talking about one other guy he was interested in drafting i believe that guy was Elliot Williams.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/elliot-williams

He is pretty much a carbon copy of Avery Bradley with good offensive skills, tenacious defense, high school all american, quick, athletic. Also has more height and better FT percentage. Knock on him is that he tends to favour going to his left, has no mid range game (only drive and shoot long range ala ray allen) and has some attitude issues.

Other than these two players i wonder also if Ainge had any interest in James Anderson who looks like another Paul Pierce but Guard version (not as good mid game) .  Mature body , has strength, can drive and make crafty shots in, can really shoot the three and plays a solid defensive game. Not blazing quick nor Athletic like Bradley nor Williams but still seems like a all around good pick.

Any thoughts on bypassing on Williams and Anderson for Bradley??

Hopefuly Bradley doesn't turn out to be another giddens

Re: Ainge's other 1st round nba draft pick interests
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 12:39:05 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Bradley does not have the gee golly kind of awe that Giddens had when he arrived. If anything, Bradley has something to prove. He is used to being in the limelight and playing at the highest level with top talent. Both were on top and both dropped; but Giddens has more baggage. Bradley appears to have a good head on his shoulders and a workman like attitude. Better Bball IQ as well. Giddens is all over the place. Bradley plays more in control.

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 01:44:19 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Bradley will be better than Giddens. Giddens honestly didn't have an array of skills that could keep him on the floor because he couldn't shoot and he lacked elite explosiveness which is really required for a young player who lacks understanding of how to compliment guys without the ball. Giddens like Gerald Green in a lot of ways  couldn't really play without the ball and because of that he seemed lost when he actually got some playing time. Bill Walker was much more explosive and it wasn't a coincidence he seemed to thrive more on the court than JR.

Not saying elite explosiveness is a pre-requisite to success on the court but it really helps young players. It takes time for these guys to figure out the nuances of the game. Where their spots on the court are, and getting a feel for when to be aggressive and when not too.

Bradley has a lot going for him that guys like Bill, JR, and Lester didn't really have. He is a qaulity defender right now. Combine that with his physical tools, he measures close to Rondo in height, length, etc., and the fact he has productive mid-range game and he should be able to find stretches where he can play a couple five minute spurts.

There were two other guys I realistically thought we had a chance to get that I wanted. Cole Aldrich who seemed a little like Joel Pryzbilla to me. He will never have become a star but with the Perkins Injury I thought he would have been useful while he was out there. He rebounds, bangs, has a nice little jumper, and can finish with either hand.

The other was Paul George. To me at 19 he was worth the risk because sure you could be getting Gerald Green (pick 18 in 2005) or Danny Granger (pick 17 2005). Did you know we were one pick away from Danny Granger but Bird got him right before us? I think George has an extremely high ceiling.

The third guy I really liked was Avery because in the NBA combo guards off the bench really thrive due to their versatility. Jamal Crawford, Jason Terry, George Hill, etc. Those guys are very useful and I think Bradley who was projected to go lottery has a ton of potential. Can't wait to see the boost of energy he brings with him off the bench.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 02:22:54 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Bradley will be better than Giddens. Giddens honestly didn't have an array of skills that could keep him on the floor because he couldn't shoot and he lacked elite explosiveness which is really required for a young player who lacks understanding of how to compliment guys without the ball. Giddens like Gerald Green in a lot of ways  couldn't really play without the ball and because of that he seemed lost when he actually got some playing time. Bill Walker was much more explosive and it wasn't a coincidence he seemed to thrive more on the court than JR.

Not saying elite explosiveness is a pre-requisite to success on the court but it really helps young players. It takes time for these guys to figure out the nuances of the game. Where their spots on the court are, and getting a feel for when to be aggressive and when not too.

Bradley has a lot going for him that guys like Bill, JR, and Lester didn't really have. He is a qaulity defender right now. Combine that with his physical tools, he measures close to Rondo in height, length, etc., and the fact he has productive mid-range game and he should be able to find stretches where he can play a couple five minute spurts.

There were two other guys I realistically thought we had a chance to get that I wanted. Cole Aldrich who seemed a little like Joel Pryzbilla to me. He will never have become a star but with the Perkins Injury I thought he would have been useful while he was out there. He rebounds, bangs, has a nice little jumper, and can finish with either hand.

The other was Paul George. To me at 19 he was worth the risk because sure you could be getting Gerald Green (pick 18 in 2005) or Danny Granger (pick 17 2005). Did you know we were one pick away from Danny Granger but Bird got him right before us? I think George has an extremely high ceiling.

The third guy I really liked was Avery because in the NBA combo guards off the bench really thrive due to their versatility. Jamal Crawford, Jason Terry, George Hill, etc. Those guys are very useful and I think Bradley who was projected to go lottery has a ton of potential. Can't wait to see the boost of energy he brings with him off the bench.

I think you are wrong about JR.  His two, and only, strengths were 1) elite explosiveness 2) good defender.  He was just lost on offense and had no confidence.  That said, I agree that Bradley should be better than JR because I think he HAS that killer instinct that JR lacked.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 02:51:47 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I think you are wrong about JR.  His two, and only, strengths were 1) elite explosiveness 2) good defender.  He was just lost on offense and had no confidence.  That said, I agree that Bradley should be better than JR because I think he HAS that killer instinct that JR lacked.
I really wish Danny would get trully lucky one of these draft and find a guy who can contribute right away with upside to spare.  Maybe part of it is Doc's reluctance to play young players, but I see other guys come into the league and make an immediate contibution.  You don't need to be in the lottery to find a good player.

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 04:33:29 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I really wish Danny would get trully lucky one of these draft and find a guy who can contribute right away with upside to spare.  Maybe part of it is Doc's reluctance to play young players, but I see other guys come into the league and make an immediate contibution.  You don't need to be in the lottery to find a good player.

Rondo played in all but 4 games, started 25, and averaged 23.5 minutes as a 20yo rookie.  he was also two picks later than Bradley in the draft.  Yes, he came onto a crappy team, but even big Baby averaged over 13 minutes as a rookie on the '08 championship team and Baby was a second-round pick.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 04:38:09 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Rondo played in all but 4 games, started 25, and averaged 23.5 minutes as a 20yo rookie.  he was also two picks later than Bradley in the draft.  Yes, he came onto a crappy team, but even big Baby averaged over 13 minutes as a rookie on the '08 championship team and Baby was a second-round pick.

after seeing what Shelden did when Doc was forced to play him in the finals, and what Pruitt and Gerald Green did after leaving the celtics, I trust that Doc knows what he's doing when he doesn't play certain young guys. As the poster above said, look at what he did with Rondo and Davis, and not to mention Leon Powe. If they can contribute, Doc will play them and develop them. If not, they will ride the pine.

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 10:32:40 AM »

Offline wiki

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 0
level with top talent. Both were on top and both dropped; but Giddens has more baggage. Bradley appears to have a good head on his shoulders and a workman like attitude. Better Bball IQ as well. Giddens is all over the place. Bradley plays more in control.