Author Topic: Lebron Called Ray about going to Miami heat with him  (Read 10634 times)

Re: Lebron Called Ray about going to Miami heat with him
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I don't know if this "source" is reliable, but if it is, I hope Ray re-signs with us and chooses loyalty over Lebron's calls, as attractive as they can be. Plus, the article states money is not a problem for Ray so it's a good sign for us too. Interesting to see that Ray is really courted by the free agents supposedly trying to build a "dynasty". Interesting choice for Ray too : since money isn't an issue, would you rather stay with the core with which you've won a championship and felt short of another one by 4 points, knowing that core is aging, or go with the best players in the league but without a guarantee they will create good chemistry and win a title? Big dilemma for Ray.

True that this week is getting crazy already and free agency hasn't officially started yet... wow.

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 05:54:33 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
I don't think any of our big three are going anywhere.

I do think they are all going to throw their hats into the ring, along with Doc and Danny and do whatever it takes to give them the ebst shot at competing for another ring before they ride off into the sunset...

...even if that means taking less money. These guys have all had two max contracts each. They will all make very good money moving forward with Boston and they'll take a little less to go to war together again.

The only thing I could really see happening is a sign and trade with Ray for David Lee or some other significant piece. But I think that's evena long shot.   

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 05:59:47 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Wade is not even a member of the Miami Heat (yet?)...how can he recruit for them?  Wouldn't this be collusion or something?  (Collusion might not be the right word for it, but I am not a lawyer...)

Yeah, that's the irony.  If the owners or GM's talked with each other about what players to offer contracts to and which ones to not, that would be against the rules.  Players, on the other hand, have no restriction on getting together and talking about where they will go, or agreeing to go together.

actually they cannot talk about it until july 1st also but since they are all friends, the nba cannot police it as easily but they can't make official comments either.

Just heard it on the update on WEEI. Not sure where they got it from , but they said Lebron called Ray to ask him if he would join the Miami Heat for less money if he were to sign there.

This is going to be a very interesting week or so

In that scenario is Dwayne Wade point guard?

My guess would be that Wade starts and Ray would be the 6th man. ...Or you could just use james as the point forward.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 06:49:20 PM »

Offline lovely_20

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
  • Jesus Saves
Lebron, Jesus can't help you.

Lol, excellent point. TP.
"Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin' back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?""

Jesus Shuttlesworth, "He Got Game"

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 08:46:40 PM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Wade is not even a member of the Miami Heat (yet?)...how can he recruit for them?  Wouldn't this be collusion or something?  (Collusion might not be the right word for it, but I am not a lawyer...)

He's not a free agent until July 1. So he's an employee of the miami heat right now. Also, he's a cap hold on the heat, and the heat have his bird rights, so until Miami's rescinds their rights to him, i wouldnt think this would be tampering.

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 09:22:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Maybe if LeBron can convince Howard to be a vet min center and Manu to be the 6th man he'll have enough firepower to contend for a title.

If you put Wade and Bosh on a team with Rondo, Rajon wouldn't need to call other players for more help.

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 09:28:05 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
If all those guys go to Miami, especially if Bosh, Amare or Boozer ends up there--why bother to play any games next season?

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 09:36:41 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
If all those guys go to Miami, especially if Bosh, Amare or Boozer ends up there--why bother to play any games next season?

Yeah, really (TP) ... kind of takes the guess-work out of the playoffs, and it will make betting on the NBA a vacuum, (maybe that's the point). :)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 12:02:26 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

Yeah, really (TP) ... kind of takes the guess-work out of the playoffs, and it will make betting on the NBA a vacuum, (maybe that's the point). :)

If ray were on that team I would still watch. Ray is pure class.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 06:52:24 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Wade is not even a member of the Miami Heat (yet?)...how can he recruit for them?  Wouldn't this be collusion or something?  (Collusion might not be the right word for it, but I am not a lawyer...)
I just heard the answer to my question on ESPN.  The word I was looking for was "tampering" and Wade going to different teams "recruiting" is not considered tampering, as he has maintained all along that he wants to stay in Miami!
??? OK.............. ???
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 07:53:03 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't know if this "source" is reliable, but if it is, I hope Ray re-signs with us and chooses loyalty over Lebron's calls, as attractive as they can be.

I think Ray Allen returns so long as that loyalty is reciprocated and he gets three years at more money than what John Salmons ends up signing for.  Do you believe Ainge is lowballing Ray Allen in negotiations or is he offering something close to RA's value on the open market?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 04:07:53 AM »

Offline mafalda.vamos

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 6
i still like LBJ
so if we can't keep Ray,i won't feel that bad if Ray&LBJ could play in the same team. :)
I don't even like basketball! Only God knows why I love Boston Celtics so much...

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2010, 04:55:17 AM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183

Yeah, that's the irony.  If the owners or GM's talked with each other about what players to offer contracts to and which ones to not, that would be against the rules.  Players, on the other hand, have no restriction on getting together and talking about where they will go, or agreeing to go together.

Owners can talk to each other about contracts if they are encouraging each other to pay more to players or to sign someone, just like players can talk to each other about taking less money or signing one another, so there is no irony.

It would only be collusion if the players (or owners, for that matter) were blacklisting a team or manipulating salaries upwards.

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2010, 08:08:13 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
All this stuff is becoming annoying to me.  I have greater respect for someone like Tim Duncan, who didn't try to be a GM and didn't try to put together a dream team in order to win his championships.  If Lebron wins a title with Bosh and Ray, it cheapens the whole thing as far I'm conscerned.

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2010, 08:28:54 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
But, actually, isn't this what the Celtics did with Ray, KG and Sheed?   Now the other teams are copying it.  I am surprised it is not now against the rules,  ;) .  Usually if the Celtics benefit from a loophole, that loophole is closed quickly!  Although LeBron playing one team against another seems different than Wade or Pierce and company soliciting for their team...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!