Author Topic: Idea: Craig Smith  (Read 4795 times)

Idea: Craig Smith
« on: June 28, 2010, 03:30:22 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Looking through ESPN's free agent list, and I noticed that Craig Smith is an unrestricted free agent this season. I know he's virtually the same player as Baby, but I've always liked his game and think he's a better (and cheaper) option than a lot of the other bigs we've heard talk about.

Thoughts/

Re: Idea: Craig Smith
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 03:34:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2416
I think he'll cost $2-3 million. Not willing to split the MLE in order to land him. Decent fall-back option.

Also, in that price range (big man), I would prefer Louis Amundson.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 03:36:59 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I agree, it probably wouldn't be my first choice for how to spend our summer money, but I'd split the MLE between Craig Smith and a Matt Barnes type over B. Miller or Shaq though.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 03:43:33 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I agree, it probably wouldn't be my first choice for how to spend our summer money, but I'd split the MLE between Craig Smith and a Matt Barnes type over B. Miller or Shaq though.

The problem is, if we split the MLE to get him, it means that we get a repeat player of Baby and only half the MLE to solve our problems at center and wing. 

With Wallace gone and Perk hurt, we can't afford to waste the MLE on another undersized power forward.

Honestly, at this point, I'm kinda hoping that Wallace changes his mind. 

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 03:53:27 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Didn't Craig Smith single-handedly carry the Clips in their trip to the Garden this past season?

I recall him rebounding like a maniac in the 4th quarter, and gaining trips to the free throw line for 4 or 5 straight possessions.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 04:03:22 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

The problem is, if we split the MLE to get him, it means that we get a repeat player of Baby and only half the MLE to solve our problems at center and wing. 

With Wallace gone and Perk hurt, we can't afford to waste the MLE on another undersized power forward.

Honestly, at this point, I'm kinda hoping that Wallace changes his mind. 

I agree with you, though we still have Wallace's contract to trade. I think we'd be better off using that option on acquiring a traditional big, and using the MLE for Smith & Barnes (again, provided a Mike Miller of Haywood type doesn't fall to us)

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 04:09:28 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Hey sweet...Let's another undersized power forward who can get his shot blocked by the players at the same position who are three and four inches taller than him! Big thumbs up!!

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 04:10:37 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

I'd rather have B Biller or Shaq. The Celtics need center size badly.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 04:15:40 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Two things have to come in place for Smith to be a candidate:

1. BBD has to be a trade candidate (they overlap too much)
2. Smith slips through the FA cracks and can be had cheap

In that case you could bring in Smith to backup KG and take BBD's PF minutes, and still have MLE to get more size or a high value wing.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 04:18:08 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I like him if Davis is used as part of a package deal to bring back a better player. 

Then Smith can fill Davis' role. 

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 04:22:32 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I love Craig Smith, and he would be loved in Boston. However, we do not need another undersized PF. There is no possible way he and Baby would be able to play together.

If we move Baby in a package with Sheed's contract to get a center like Biedrins I would love to have Smith.

I think if Baby is still on the team we need to get another big or two around 7 feet before we even consider a backup pf.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 04:33:43 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I think you can have both Big Baby and Craig Smith together (though only for brief times on the court) much like how they used to split minutes between BBD and Leon Powe.

I'd take a stiff of a center for a half a season until Perk gets back over using all of our MLE just to get size.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 04:55:08 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
The BBD getting blocked party is back again. (never understood the point) Craig Smith is 1/2 as talented as BBD.  BBD was sadly better than KG towards the end of the year... if you were actually paying attention.

No one thinks (except Boston fans) Bierdins is any good.  He makes Perk look like Bird from FT line and has even less of an offensive game and is very poor defender. He can get you 10 defensive rebounds a game....

Put these 2 on the list of great (not really) players that no one but Boston fans want.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 05:13:03 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
The BBD getting blocked party is back again. (never understood the point) Craig Smith is 1/2 as talented as BBD.  BBD was sadly better than KG towards the end of the year... if you were actually paying attention.

Last seasons stats:

Glen Davis: 17.3 mpg, 6.3ppg, 3.8 rbg, .6 apg .4 stl, .3 bpg, .437 fg%, .696 ft%

Craig Smith: 16.4 mpg, 7.8 ppg, 3.8 rbg, 1.2 apg, .4 stl, .3bpg, .569 fg%, .635 ft%

I know stats aren't always telling and we've seen Davis do it when it matters most, but personally I'd take Smith over Davis

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 05:16:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The BBD getting blocked party is back again. (never understood the point) Craig Smith is 1/2 as talented as BBD.  BBD was sadly better than KG towards the end of the year... if you were actually paying attention.

Last seasons stats:

Glen Davis: 17.3 mpg, 6.3ppg, 3.8 rbg, .6 apg .4 stl, .3 bpg, .437 fg%, .696 ft%

Craig Smith: 16.4 mpg, 7.8 ppg, 3.8 rbg, 1.2 apg, .4 stl, .3bpg, .569 fg%, .635 ft%

Perfect example of why the Celtics do not need Smith unless Davis is traded.