Author Topic: Ainge: "Were not trying to move up"  (Read 9300 times)

Re: Ainge: "Were not trying to move up"
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 05:05:34 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Nothing exciting is happening today for the C's, guys.  

That said, trading the pick should have nothing to do with financial motives.  The C's just made a bunch of extra money playing all the way into June.  That should cover any veteran signings for the summer.
I agree but Peter May and Andy Katz both seemed to make the point that if they traded a 1st this year for a future first it would be so they could sign a vet. This would make sense if they were below the cap, but since we aren't it indicates the ownership might be wary of spending money this year.

Yeah, see that just doesn't make sense to me.

How would ownership justify being financially conscious when thousands of fans just shelled out millions of dollars to go see the Celtics play well into June?

the Celtics also featured a payroll this year that was higher then I thought I would ever see in Boston. I think the owners were cool with the big money so long as the Celtics were/are elite, and even then, when Ray's contract expires I assumed the owners would look to scale back.

Their pockets aren't as big as others', and the Market in Boston for basketball can't touch LA and NY.  :-\

Boston is hardly a small market, though.  The Celtics are still near the top in terms of merchandise sales.

Right, they aren't small. I just said they aren't LA and NY. Nor do they have Portland, Dallas money - and yet for the past couple of seasons we've been able to enjoy watching them spend that kind of money on an elite product, that came with an advertised 3 year window.

Anyway, i think they'll spend the money if they can bring the right kind of team back for one more go. But there will be a lot of financial concerns/juggling/limitations.

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2010, 05:07:41 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Nothing exciting is happening today for the C's, guys.  

That said, trading the pick should have nothing to do with financial motives.  The C's just made a bunch of extra money playing all the way into June.  That should cover any veteran signings for the summer.
I agree but Peter May and Andy Katz both seemed to make the point that if they traded a 1st this year for a future first it would be so they could sign a vet. This would make sense if they were below the cap, but since we aren't it indicates the ownership might be wary of spending money this year.

Yeah, see that just doesn't make sense to me.

How would ownership justify being financially conscious when thousands of fans just shelled out millions of dollars to go see the Celtics play well into June?

the Celtics also featured a payroll this year that was higher then I thought I would ever see in Boston. I think the owners were cool with the big money so long as the Celtics were/are elite, and even then, when Ray's contract expires I assumed the owners would look to scale back.

Their pockets aren't as big as others', and the Market in Boston for basketball can't touch LA and NY.  :-\

Boston is hardly a small market, though.  The Celtics are still near the top in terms of merchandise sales.

Right, they aren't small. I just said they aren't LA and NY. Nor do they have Portland, Dallas money.

Yet the Celtics aren't really small enough to be concerned with money.

They're in a much better situation than teams like San Antonio and Orlando, which still manage to spend in the off-season and compete despite the fact that they are in truly small-market areas.

The Celtics' market isn't just Boston...it's the entire New England area.  That's not a small market by any means.  As long as the Knicks and Nets remain irrelevant, the C's likely have fans closer to the NY area as well.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2010, 05:08:37 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
Don't be disappointed if Boston just sells the #19 pick

One of the most likely scenarios.

I think the smart money is on the Celtics trading Rasheed, BBD, and the #19 to Golden State for Monta Ellis and the #6. Then, we'll be undersized and old, but with sexy young talent to play unrealistic expectations on! The number 6 pick in one of the worst drafts since the turn of the century! Live the dream!

Please don't even joke like that.  Ugh.  :-X

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2010, 05:10:10 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
It's a lost cause to suggest otherwise, I think, but you can't judge Ainge's offseason by what happens tonight.

Thusly, no need for panic if things look about like they do now at the end of the night.

Just means we gotta wait a little longer.

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2010, 05:18:52 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Yet the Celtics aren't really small enough to be concerned with money.

They're in a much better situation than teams like San Antonio and Orlando, which still manage to spend in the off-season and compete despite the fact that they are in truly small-market areas.

The Celtics' market isn't just Boston...it's the entire New England area.  That's not a small market by any means.  As long as the Knicks and Nets remain irrelevant, the C's likely have fans closer to the NY area as well.

Good point about Orlando and San Antonio. I honestly don't know how those teams can carry an $80+ million roster. I imagine that they are hurting and having a little buyers remorse on some of their recent wacky spending.

Still i would be very surprised if Boston swings up to 90-ish again this year. If Sheed retires, that'll help a ton.

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 05:54:32 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Needn't look any further than the Phoenix Suns to see why's it's counterproductive to sell off or give up 1st round picks (Deng, Rondo, Fernandez...).

If ownership is concerned about salary, I like Seraphin's upside, let him play another season abroad.

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 06:52:38 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Don't be disappointed if Boston just sells the #19 pick

One of the most likely scenarios.

I think the smart money is on the Celtics trading Rasheed, BBD, and the #19 to Golden State for Monta Ellis and the #6. Then, we'll be undersized and old, but with sexy young talent to play unrealistic expectations on! The number 6 pick in one of the worst drafts since the turn of the century! Live the dream!

Please don't even joke like that.  Ugh.  :-X

I'd rather that by far than to drift out of relevance or competitiveness by inaction.  Just too bad Cousins probably wouldn't still be there.

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2010, 06:56:39 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Needn't look any further than the Phoenix Suns to see why's it's counterproductive to sell off or give up 1st round picks (Deng, Rondo, Fernandez...).

If ownership is concerned about salary, I like Seraphin's upside, let him play another season abroad.

Exactly.  You never know when a mid to late first rounder might turn into something really good.  Look no further than Rondo, our new franchise player, who was a late 1st round pick.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2010, 07:17:09 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
I would'nt take rudy fernandez on the c's for free.

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2010, 07:20:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I would'nt take rudy fernandez on the c's for free.
Why not?

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2010, 07:52:17 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Yeah people need to just accept it now, nothing interesting will happen with the Celtics tonight.

So don't freak out.
I disagree.  that was definitely applicable to last year's draft when they had no picks until Lester Hudson.  This year something will happen in the first round whether it's a trade for other picks or they select someone with that pick.

For the record though, if Danny trades the pick for a future first rounder, I'll lose it.