Author Topic: Ainge: "Were not trying to move up"  (Read 9275 times)

Re: Ainge: "Were not trying to move up"
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 04:36:45 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Nothing exciting is happening today for the C's, guys. 

Jeez Pos, its like everywhere I look today you're going from thread to thread spreading hypothetical bad news. You get bit by the grumpy bear this morning or what, kiddo? Draft Day is all about the dream, man.

Just trying to be realistic.

There are plenty of exciting things that may happen for other teams, just not the Celtics today.  The C's just don't have anything to work with right now so it's unreasonable to hope for big things.

In a year or two when the C's are rebuilding we can dream about trade scenarios and exciting draft moves

Things will get exciting for Boston when free agency begins. There are 2 or 3 very different paths the team could follow.

Until then something has to happen today with the 19th pick. We'll either see a trade or learn who the newest Boston Celtic will be.

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 04:38:19 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Don't be disappointed if Boston just sells the #19 pick

One of the most likely scenarios.

I think the smart money is on the Celtics trading Rasheed, BBD, and the #19 to Golden State for Monta Ellis and the #6. Then, we'll be undersized and old, but with sexy young talent to play unrealistic expectations on! The number 6 pick in one of the worst drafts since the turn of the century! Live the dream!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 04:38:50 PM »

Offline EmilioBonilla

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 8

Nahh I truly believe that Danny will do more than just sell the pick. There isn't any gain from that besides financially and we know that the Celts are financially sound. I see a move down or a trade for a younger player thats been in the league for maybe 2 years now.
I bleed Green

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So this author's take is if Ainge pulss completely out of this draft it could possibly signal a Ray and Paul exodus that coupled with a Rasheed retirement could put Danny in a position of using all that ensuing cap space on a max level free agent to play with Perk, KG, Rondo and Baby.

I don't know. Unless Danny already has a wink wink deal in place with a free agent, this makes zero sense because it is such a huge gamble.

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 04:43:21 PM »

Offline EmilioBonilla

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 8
So this author's take is if Ainge pulss completely out of this draft it could possibly signal a Ray and Paul exodus that coupled with a Rasheed retirement could put Danny in a position of using all that ensuing cap space on a max level free agent to play with Perk, KG, Rondo and Baby.

I don't know. Unless Danny already has a wink wink deal in place with a free agent, this makes zero sense because it is such a huge gamble.

Yes and to add on, both Ray and Paul would have to restructure their deals to remain on the team to allure a higher paid free agent.
I bleed Green

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 04:46:30 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

I think the smart money is on the Celtics trading Rasheed, BBD, and the #19 to Golden State for Monta Ellis and the #6. Then, we'll be undersized and old, but with sexy young talent to play unrealistic expectations on! The number 6 pick in one of the worst drafts since the turn of the century! Live the dream!

Is this really a bad draft? It looks pretty darn good to me. Lots of guys with both size and reasonable upside. The top 15 looks really good. Hopefully one of those guys slides to 19.  :)

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 04:47:10 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

That said, trading the pick should have nothing to do with financial motives.  The C's just made a bunch of extra money playing all the way into June.  That should cover any veteran signings for the summer.
I agree but Peter May and Andy Katz both seemed to make the point that if they traded a 1st this year for a future first it would be so they could sign a vet. This would make sense if they were below the cap, but since we aren't it indicates the ownership might be wary of spending money this year.

Yeah, see that just doesn't make sense to me.

How would ownership justify being financially conscious when thousands of fans just shelled out millions of dollars to go see the Celtics play well into June?
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 04:47:31 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

Yeah there is a lot of garbage speculating going on....

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 04:49:20 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

That would be such a stupid plan...I just can't imagine a big free agent coming here, not when two of the Big 3 have just left and Rasheed has retired.

I don't know where the notion that this is a bad draft is coming from.  Everywhere I've read has talked about this draft as one of the deepest in recent memory.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 04:50:51 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

That said, trading the pick should have nothing to do with financial motives.  The C's just made a bunch of extra money playing all the way into June.  That should cover any veteran signings for the summer.
I agree but Peter May and Andy Katz both seemed to make the point that if they traded a 1st this year for a future first it would be so they could sign a vet. This would make sense if they were below the cap, but since we aren't it indicates the ownership might be wary of spending money this year.

How would ownership justify being financially conscious when thousands of fans just shelled out millions of dollars to go see the Celtics play well into June?

the Celtics also featured a payroll this year that was higher then I thought I would ever see in Boston. I think the owners were cool with the big money so long as the Celtics were/are elite, and even then, when Ray's contract expires I assumed the owners would look to scale back.

Their pockets aren't as big as others', and the Market in Boston for basketball can't touch LA and NY.  :-\

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Is this really a bad draft? It looks pretty darn good to me. Lots of guys with both size and reasonable upside. The top 15 looks really good. Hopefully one of those guys slides to 19.  :)

I think of the top 25 guys you're going to see 2 all-stars (Wall, and then whichever one of Turner/Cousins/Favors/Johnson actually turns out to be star quality) and 10-15 rotation guys. I think this draft is going to have a lot of guys like Glen Davis (not *like* Glen Davis, because they broke the mold after him, but on the same talent level, same kind of ceiling) rather than guys like Brook Lopez.  

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 04:58:38 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

That said, trading the pick should have nothing to do with financial motives.  The C's just made a bunch of extra money playing all the way into June.  That should cover any veteran signings for the summer.

the Celtics also featured a payroll this year that was higher then I thought I would ever see in Boston. I think the owners were cool with the big money so long as the Celtics were/are elite, and even then, when Ray's contract expires I assumed the owners would look to scale back.

Their pockets aren't as big as others', and the Market in Boston for basketball can't touch LA and NY.  :-\
We fill out every seat in the arena every game. Our team went to a game 7 in the finals and played the max amount of home games possible in every series.
As a fan if they start to cut costs now, that doesn't indicate they have faith in the product they are putting out there.

In business an indication that the company doesn't have faith in it's product will cause less people to buy it's product. If less people buy the product the owners make less money.

In other words selling a pick this year will cost them playoff revenue next season, which means that this pick is a good investment.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 04:59:34 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Their pockets aren't as big as others', and the Market in Boston for basketball can't touch LA and NY.  :-\

Boston is hardly a small market, though.  The Celtics are still near the top in terms of merchandise sales.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 05:03:14 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Jeez Pos, its like everywhere I look today you're going from thread to thread spreading hypothetical bad news. You get bit by the grumpy bear this morning or what, kiddo? Draft Day is all about the dream, man.

Just trying to be realistic.

Not sure that "worst case scenario" and "realistic" mean the same thing...

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 05:03:36 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Yeah people need to just accept it now, nothing interesting will happen with the Celtics tonight.

So don't freak out.