Author Topic: Draft Day Memories  (Read 5174 times)

Re: Draft Day Memories
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 01:22:56 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
I have lots of great draft day memories getting Walker, Pierce, The Rondo trade, getting Chauncey & Mercer the same year.

I am also a die hard UNLV fan living in Vegas and was so disappointed when Marcus Banks was picked by Memphis and then went crazy when the Celts traded for him later....LOL

I also was bummed when they picked Pierce as I was really hoping for Keon Clark...who went to Orlando a few picks later. Man I am glad I am not the GM, I am such a homer....
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 02:36:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The three draft picks I was most excited about were:  Acie Earl, Paul Pierce, and Gerald Green.

Um...  1 out of 3 ain't bad?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 02:48:43 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
One other random draft memory was when the Knicks used a first rounder on the dud from France.  Not a happy response in MSG.
Yup

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 02:48:50 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
I have plenty that stick out in my mind.

1. 1998 - Pierce slips to us at 10. I was at my dad's girlfriend's house, watching the draft in her living room. I was only 9 years old at the time, but I knew who Paul Pierce was. At only 9 I didn't truly understand/appreciate everything that was going on, but I do remember 1998 being the first full NBA draft I ever watched, I know where I was, and I remember everybody being shocked/ecstatic about #34.

2002 - This was when I first started getting into college basketball, and Jay Williams was far and away my favorite player, so I remember being excited to watch him get drafted.

2003 - Who doesn't remember this draft night? LeBron, Carmelo, Wade, Bosh, TJ Ford, Hinrich, Jarvis Hayes... so much hype coming into the draft. Then of course we all remember our "wow, they REALLY did take Darko 2nd" reactions (especially with Melo's hype). I remember being very happy with Marcus Banks, as well, but I wanted Reece Gaines.... glad I wasn't running a team then.

2004 - Yup, I was one of those people that thought Orlando should have gone with Okafor at 1. Was (and still am) a big Telfair fan as well, and was pulling for either Telfair or Jameer Nelson at 15. Didn't know much about Big Al at the time, but I was very happy with Delonte at 24 because I had watched him and Nelson on tv a few times and liked his game. I also remember fully expecting Robert Swift, haha.

2005 - "GERALD GREEN!!!" and "Why would Atlanta not take a point guard?"

2006 - As a fan I remember being happy about Telfair, and having mixed feelings about Rondo. I liked what I saw from him, and I absolutely remember reading CelticsBlog threads about people thinking he's the real deal. I personally thought he'd be more of a project.

2007 - The truly miserable day (at the time) was May 22, but heading into draft night I didn't know what to expect as a Celtics fan. Do we take a player at 5 and trade Pierce tonight? Trade for a veteran? Is Yi really our guy? When Andy Katz announced the Ray Allen deal, I liked it but also wondered if we were making a mistake giving up a top 5 pick for an aging star. Jesus had always been one of my favorite players, and he fit with Pierce and Jefferson. Also loved Big Baby at LSU. Had we kept the pick, however, I remember wanting Jeff Green or Corey Brewer. The 2007 draft was really an emotional roller coaster.

2009 - lol David Kahn. lol Chris Wallace.

2010 - lol David Kahn.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/