Author Topic: Rumor: Miami selling 18th pick?  (Read 6106 times)

Rumor: Miami selling 18th pick?
« on: June 22, 2010, 04:29:36 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67362/20100622/heat_willing_to_sell_18th_pick_for_cap_space/

According to an unnamed "Western Conference executive".

$3 million is the most Miami can get for it. Because everyone can offer the same amount of money, I wonder if Miami would prefer to sell to a Western team, rather than someone within its own conference.

Regardless, Danny better be calling Riles about this.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Re: Rumor: Miami selling 18th pick?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 04:33:09 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If they sell the pick there are two possible outcomes
1. We get the pick, I am pumped.
2. Someone else gets the pick takes someone I wish we would have taken a spot ahead of us and I am very angry.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 04:48:08 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
not likely to happen but I would love to see the celtics buy the pick then draft james at 18 and take the risk on whiteside at 19
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Oh yeah, for 3 million, that would be a done deal in my mind. If they are looking for a future 1st pick, I loose interest.... well unless it is protected 1-20.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 05:15:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Dumb move -- Miami needs that pick to find itself a quality + cost effective rotation player for next season. Their squad will be too light on depth to miss out on this opportunity. Moves like this will end up derailing their title hopes for at least 12 months.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 05:27:42 PM »

Offline MiamiCelticfan

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 29
Typical heat move. they dont treat the draft with any respect. They need an impact player. They want all the money they can get because theyre going shopping starting july 1ST.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 05:36:42 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
Dumb move -- Miami needs that pick to find itself a quality + cost effective rotation player for next season. Their squad will be too light on depth to miss out on this opportunity. Moves like this will end up derailing their title hopes for at least 12 months.

I'm kind of thinking that too.... however, if they strip out the 18th pick and Beasley they could make a run at 3 max players. That would be insane.

Wade, Bosh/Stoudemire, James/Johnson

this really is going to be a wacky off season. And the draft might become wacky as a byproduct.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 05:40:13 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I'm kind of thinking that too.... however, if they strip out the 18th pick and Beasley they could make a run at 3 max players. That would be insane.

this really is going to be a wacky off season. And the draft might become wacky as a byproduct.
They can get three max contract players without selling the pick.

Last time I did the math, I think they were short a couple of hundred grand but split between two or three players ... it's not going to stop them from getting it done.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 05:47:14 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

They can get three max contract players without selling the pick.

Last time I did the math, I think they were short a couple of hundred grand but split between two or three players ... it's not going to stop them from getting it done.

Yeah, you're right. Maybe they are worried no one will take beasley. nonetheless, I agree that it seams like a dumb move.

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 06:33:22 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Typical heat move. they dont treat the draft with any respect. They need an impact player. They want all the money they can get because theyre going shopping starting july 1ST.

They also want all the cap space possible, and get just a little bit more (~$1.2M) by selling the pick.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 07:24:12 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Send them Sheed and a check for Beasley and 18.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 07:39:03 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
They are one of a few teams looking to sell the 1st round pick.  I think Danny has some options if he wants to gain a second pick.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 07:47:03 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Doesn't help them clear cap space for free agents, unfortunately. They'd need to trade for a contract that is not fully guaranteed.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 08:00:34 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Doesn't help them clear cap space for free agents, unfortunately. They'd need to trade for a contract that is not fully guaranteed.

They would need Wallace to say he was retiring, 100%.  Then, it works for them.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 08:02:45 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

They would need Wallace to say he was retiring, 100%.  Then, it works for them.

And giving up the last two years on his deal.

He can certainly say, "I'm retiring, but I'm still going to take the money owed to me on my contract."