Author Topic: Damion James  (Read 8067 times)

Re: Damion James
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 10:45:39 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
James may have played the 4 at Texas, but I see him more as a 3 in the NBA.  He could have been the backup wing we have been looking for.  He also is a much more NBA ready than Bradley.  He would provide rebounding help and runs the floor well.  He would benifit a ton by playing with Rondo.

Yeah.  I like the motor aspect too.  I liked a lot of guys and it seemed like a good draft to have at least one extra pick...maybe the owners weren't into it......we'll see next year when these guys hit the court.

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2010, 10:47:35 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
How did we NEED another undersized PF when we have Garnett and Big Baby already?

are you justifying this by approving of danny's drafting of an undersized shooting guard?

No, I'm just saying we certainly don't NEED Damion James. I also think Bradley has much more upside, but my main point is we don't need another 6'8" PF who may or may not have to learn to play SF. This thread implies that we were crazy not to take James, which seems a bit overstated.

Also Tony Allen, Nate Robinson and Ray Allen are all free agents. At least we have Pierce, KG and Big Baby returning at the 3/4 spots.

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2010, 11:07:05 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
James may have played the 4 at Texas, but I see him more as a 3 in the NBA.  He could have been the backup wing we have been looking for.  He also is a much more NBA ready than Bradley.  He would provide rebounding help and runs the floor well.  He would benifit a ton by playing with Rondo.

But doesn't he drop a lot in readiness if he has to learn a new position in the pros?

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2010, 11:37:18 PM »

Offline Ed Teach

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 8
I would say that James more natural position would be the 3, at Texas they didn't have anyone else play the 4.  Texas relied on James to be the primary scoring threat as well as rebounder.

As a Longhorn fan, I think Avery can become a great player but he still has a lot to learn.  He had some rough patches throughout the season, a lot of it seemed mental.  He is only 19 so he has a huge up-side, but I don't see him being an impact player in year 1, whereas I think Damion James would have a better chance contributing next year.

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2010, 11:42:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
In 2 to 3 years people will be talking about James in the same manner they talk about James Posey and Gerald Wallace regarding his ability to guard on the wing and rebound. Excellent pick up for the Nets.

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 11:55:07 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I would've been happy had we taken him. I think he's good enough to be an 8th or 9th man on any team from the get-go on. His ceiling isn't that high but he's a strong player already -- drafting him is basically like adding a piece through free agency. 
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.