Author Topic: Damion James  (Read 8065 times)

Damion James
« on: June 22, 2010, 03:37:09 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
as jeff mentioned in his previous post Chad Ford is predicting that the celtics will take damion james.

James could fit in well with the current celtics roster. When looking at his measurments james should be a big enough SF to defend the smaller PFs in the east (jamison,beasly,lewis)

James  6'7.75" 226lbs 8'11 reach 7'1" wingspan

Beasly 6'8.25" 239lbs 8'11 reach 7'0" wingspan

Lee    6'9"    230lbs 8'10.5" reach 7'0 wingspan

Haslem 6'9"    250lbs 8'11" reach  6'11 wingspan

he would give us the big SF and big perimeter defender that we have lacked since posey left.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Damion James
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 04:50:10 PM »

Offline jacksmedulaoblongata

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
I've said it before, I think James is a mistake.  The only room the Celtics should have on their team  for a guy with little offense is one who is going to be a beast on the glass.  I hope Ford is wrong like he usually is about the Celtics.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 05:29:53 PM »

Offline MiamiCelticfan

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 29
I want a big. We do need wing players, but the lakers series was a perfect illustation of how we were outmacthed in the paint. I want either Alabi or Orton, unless someone Xavier Henry FALLS TO US.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 05:53:11 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
I live in Austin and am a UT alum.  Damian James is a beast on the boards from the 3 position.  He is also a slasher and has a knack of getting to the line.  These are all areas that we need help in.

He is a 4 year senior and would be able to step in right away and play. 

He is also a solid team guy and does not need plays drawn up for him.

Basically a much more polished Bill Walker without the crazy hops.

I would love this pick at 19.  Would be a perfect backup for Pierce. 

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 06:49:13 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Spent four hours on the Congress street bridge two weekends ago waiting for the **** bats to come out...nothing...

Getting hammered on 6th street along with about 40,000 bikers wasn't bad though. Neither was breakfast at Fado's.

I like this kid's profile as well. He looks like a very good fit for us.

I agree we do need height added. But I think it's very unlikely we will get that from a draft choice who can contribute right away like James could at the wing.

Threfore, I'd rather look for vet big man help via free agency or a small trade that brings us another big body.

He's old but I'd still like to see Kurt Thomas in green, along with another big vet body.

I'm not saying I wouldn't mind drafting Whiteside or another of the good young bigs, but it would be knwoing I'd be looking at a 2-3 year wait for serious contribution.

Whereas, James could be a Ryan Gomes type.

Depends on what our goals are I guess.
I am not sdyaing

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 06:55:38 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Spent four hours on the Congress street bridge two weekends ago waiting for the **** bats to come out...nothing...

Getting hammered on 6th street along with about 40,000 bikers wasn't bad though. Neither was breakfast at Fado's.

I like this kid's profile as well. He looks like a very good fit for us.

I agree we do need height added. But I think it's very unlikely we will get that from a draft choice who can contribute right away like James could at the wing.

Threfore, I'd rather look for vet big man help via free agency or a small trade that brings us another big body.

He's old but I'd still like to see Kurt Thomas in green, along with another big vet body.

I'm not saying I wouldn't mind drafting Whiteside or another of the good young bigs, but it would be knwoing I'd be looking at a 2-3 year wait for serious contribution.

Whereas, James could be a Ryan Gomes type.

Depends on what our goals are I guess.
I am not sdyaing

James is destined to be a more ferocious player than Gomes.  If you crossed Gomes with Gerald Wallace you might get closer....Also, James is a legit 2-position player....Gomes has a touch of tweener in him.....defense from James should also shine a bit brigher....Gomes maybe a better shooter....

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 07:09:24 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Completely agreed Wiley. I meant a Ryan Gomes type of player in that he has a good chance of being able to come in and contribute right away because of his experience level.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 07:14:07 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Completely agreed Wiley. I meant a Ryan Gomes type of player in that he has a good chance of being able to come in and contribute right away because of his experience level.

ah yes....I read poorly first time....!

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 08:38:04 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71

Scoob.  Glad you enjoyed Austin.  For some reason, the bats have been coming out just a little too late the past two years so it's hard to see them because it is so dark.  A few years ago, it really was a sight to see.

I have watched James closely the past four years and he would honestly be an immediate contributor.  The gomes/wallace mixture is the perfect way to describe him.  Not quite the athlete as wallace, but every bit the rebounder, and has that tweener game that gomes has with more mobility.

For those of us very optimistically hoping to pick up Durant when his rookie contract expires, adding a longhorn that he played with can't hurt.  All of the the ex-ut players are very close and train together in Austin during the off season.  Along those lines, pick up Augustine or Ford as a back up point guard.  The only way you will pry Durant out of OKC is if he has "boys" on another team as well.  The guy is loyal.  Anyway...total tangent.

With that said...James at 19 is great, and bring in a young athletic big through free agency.

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 08:47:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Damion James will be Gerald Wallace good on defense and the boards while possessing the a better ability to create his offense, eventually. Right away, he is the defensive minded 3-4 hybrid we have been missing since Posey left. He will contribute right away extending Pierce's career and will slip into the starting role in couple or three  years when Pierce can't start anymore.

I've been saying since February that either James or Quincy Pondexter had to be the choice. Hope like hell Ford has it right.

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 08:52:49 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Yup. I'd love James at 19.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 09:02:25 PM »

Offline openairmovie

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 58
as much as I like James I still feel we need a big man   thats why if Im Ainge and Orton is still on the board  hes gunna be wearing green

speaking of big men tho...whats up with Erden  our pick from the 08 draft the turkish guy...he was something like 7 feet but went over to play in Turkey

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 09:14:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
as much as I like James I still feel we need a big man   thats why if Im Ainge and Orton is still on the board  hes gunna be wearing green

speaking of big men tho...whats up with Erden  our pick from the 08 draft the turkish guy...he was something like 7 feet but went over to play in Turkey
Orton is currently in free fall after reporting his knees are bothering him. In medical exams to this point teams were questioning whether he would eventually need knee surgery and now he's complaining of knee pain. Not good for a guy that couldn't start on his college team and who's best  game ever in college might have been a 10 point 5 rebound night.

Orton will go mid 2nd round....watch!!

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 09:21:50 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Yeah, based on the knees, I wouldn't touch Orton with a first-rounder.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 11:50:56 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I really dont want the Cs to take a big project at 19. James is a player next year. We should look to get another 2nd and take a couple of shots at projects bigs in the second round (Pitman,Gallon,Jordan) or combo guards to play along side TA off the bench (D Jones,Crawford, Warren, A Johnson, White --guessing 1 will slide to early-mid second)

ideal draft (not in a dream world)

#19 Damion James

buy a pick
#31-45 Armon Johnson/Willie Warren

#53 Dexter Pitman/Jerome Jordan

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet