Author Topic: Chad Ford: Celtics looking to move up in draft  (Read 29487 times)

Re: Chad Ford: Celtics looking to move up in draft
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2010, 08:16:18 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Don't understand the love for Cousins here.  Looked to me like a head-case that has attitude issues and fits of laziness.  I don't think a lot of money will help his cause.  I personally believe he's the biggest "buyer beware" in this draft...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2010, 08:29:18 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Don't understand the love for Cousins here.  Looked to me like a head-case that has attitude issues and fits of laziness.  I don't think a lot of money will help his cause.  I personally believe he's the biggest "buyer beware" in this draft...

Yup.

I think he's going to be a bust.

And if he's not it's Zach Randolph pt2.

« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2010, 09:08:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't understand this Jeff Foster trade proposal at all. After seeing that two expiring contracts of Dan Gadzuric and Charlie Bell could get the Bucks Corey Maggette and a draft pick, we want to sell an even more valuable asset than an expiring contract, a retiring contract and our 19th pick, for a 33 year old guy that is coming off major back surgery and the 11th pick?

Talk about not getting improper value back. Foster has "worse pickup than Scot Pollard" written all over him.

« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2010, 09:11:48 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
NO way I move two assets for Jeff Foster.

Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2010, 09:23:30 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
For fun, let's say we trade Sheed and our #1 for the #5 and Garcia.
Buy a pick in the teens (Miami?) and draft George. Use the MLE on Brad Miller.

Does a starting line-up of: Rondo, Ray, Pierce, KG, Miller with a bench of Cousins, George, Davis, Garcia look good?

« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2010, 09:25:10 PM »

Offline Tw1x990

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 47
While im sure Sac would be open to trading Garcia and/or Udrih, I wouldnt say they are shopping either of them.

I watched every Kings game last year (Kings and Celtics are my teams ) and Udrih was hands down there second best player last season. He was extremely consistant, and worked well with Evans. Im telling you, if you havent seen him play - he is really quite good. One of the best mid-range jumpers in the league. Garcia was injured for most of last season, but on a contender .. that guy has sixth man of the year potential. Such a good locker room presense, and good in the clutch.Very Versatile, and a Scrappy defender too. I would love him on the Celtics, but dumping either of these players salary wouldnt be enough for the 5. Even with BBD, Sheed, the 19, or Perk. Nocioni was the one really bad contract they had, and they got rid of it a few days ago.

Think back to last year - Ainge was rumored to have offered Rondo to the Kings for 4. Last year it would have cost Rondo to move into the top five, I dont know why it would be so much less this time around.

Another thing - No one is signing with Sac. Capspace means little to them this offseason. None of the big time Free agents are going to want to go there. There best bet to landing a star type player is at the deadline with Dalemberts contract.

« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2010, 10:14:45 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
While im sure Sac would be open to trading Garcia and/or Udrih, I wouldnt say they are shopping either of them.

I watched every Kings game last year (Kings and Celtics are my teams ) and Udrih was hands down there second best player last season. He was extremely consistant, and worked well with Evans. Im telling you, if you havent seen him play - he is really quite good. One of the best mid-range jumpers in the league. Garcia was injured for most of last season, but on a contender .. that guy has sixth man of the year potential. Such a good locker room presense, and good in the clutch.Very Versatile, and a Scrappy defender too. I would love him on the Celtics, but dumping either of these players salary wouldnt be enough for the 5. Even with BBD, Sheed, the 19, or Perk. Nocioni was the one really bad contract they had, and they got rid of it a few days ago.

Think back to last year - Ainge was rumored to have offered Rondo to the Kings for 4. Last year it would have cost Rondo to move into the top five, I dont know why it would be so much less this time around.

Another thing - No one is signing with Sac. Capspace means little to them this offseason. None of the big time Free agents are going to want to go there. There best bet to landing a star type player is at the deadline with Dalemberts contract.

I agree, the only player getting the C's into the top 5 is Rondo.  His value is pretty high right now so maybe Danny is shopping him, but I'd want more than the # 5 pick for Rondo.

I also agree that the Kings aren't desperate for cap relief.  Garcia, when healthy, is a decent 2 guard.  They aren't near the tax either so they don't need any desperation moves.

Philly on the other hand might give away a pick for someone willing to take on Brand and his zillion dollar contract.

« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2010, 10:27:03 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Lots of "raw" talent in this draft; but the number of young players coming into the league also makes this draft very risky. Don't think the C's need to move up much to get value. Even Miami's pick at #18 is appealing. You could get a decent big and a SF or SG at 18 & 19. Might be better than betting the farm on a player that may or may not work out. Ideally, would like to have the C's keep #19 and add a pick between 10-15 (perhaps Babitt or George).

« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2010, 10:47:58 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Does a starting line-up of: Rondo, Ray, Pierce, KG, Miller with a bench of Cousins, George, Davis, Garcia look good?

PerK? How about TA and/or Robinson?

« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2010, 11:28:53 PM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
I know there is a lot of speculation of us moving up in the draft. But personally, i would like to stay at 19 and then buy miami's pick at 18. We could then take Damion James (my favorite that is likely to be available) and then either Bledsoe or a big man. Bledsoe is a good pick for us because he can play the 1 and 2, and could be a great compliment to rondo with his shooting.

This is a very heavy big-man draft, and likely Udoh/Aldrich/Whiteside/Sanders/Orton/Alabi  will be available at 18/19. SO if we choose to go big there will be someone available.
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace

« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2010, 11:34:32 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923

PerK? How about TA and/or Robinson?

I'm assuming Perk is rehabbing and the others aren't resigned.

« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2010, 11:39:25 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
There was an article today where Chris Mannix  commented on Ray, Pierce and possible draft guys for the C's.

Here is the link for the article :

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2010/06/22/mannix-on-dc-i-dont-see-ainge-leaving-for-phoenix/

And he mentioned Bledsoe having a great workout for the C's:

You have to hit a home run if you’re Boston, you have to get a really marquee type player. I’ll throw a couple of names at you that I’ve heard so far. One is Avery Bradley, a kid from Texas, a terrific jump shooter and defender who is really great in transition of what I’ve seen of him. Another is Elliot Williams, a kid from Memphis, he’s kind of an attack-the-rim kind of player who gets to the free throw line a lot. I really like him as a Ray Allen replacement type. … And the other guy is a Kentucky guy, Eric Bledsoe. I mean, I know talking to other people within the Celtics that he had a great workout for them a couple of weeks ago. He’s incredibly explosive and incredibly raw because we don’t know what were going to get from him because he played behind John Wall all last year. He’s a guy to keep your eye on because I think Boston is going to look to replace that bench.

« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2010, 11:44:03 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
first hope is that one of the wings (George, Hayward, Babbitt) drops. If that doesn't happen I'm okay with most of the rumored players that look to be available (Orton, James, Bledsoe).

I'll also be looking for Trader Danny to make his showing. It seems like there is someone he is really targeting. I wonder who that is and how he  could get into position to grab him.

« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2010, 12:31:20 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I’ve been looking at all the draft rumors and i’m viewing it like the NFL draft usually works. Certain positions start to fly off on runs. Kindof a “well we were gonna get him, now we’ll get the next best _____ “

I think that this draft is going to have a run where PF/Cs will fly off the board above players that they are not better than.

Ford is speculating on players like Udoh, Faruq-Iminu, and Cousins going in the top 10. If all the top 10 teams go “Big crazy” then i think we’re gonna have some good players left for us.

But on the other hand they could start going at Wings... then the opposite could happen.

« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2010, 02:34:00 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
There was an article today where Chris Mannix  commented on Ray, Pierce and possible draft guys for the C's.

Here is the link for the article :

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2010/06/22/mannix-on-dc-i-dont-see-ainge-leaving-for-phoenix/

And he mentioned Bledsoe having a great workout for the C's:

You have to hit a home run if you’re Boston, you have to get a really marquee type player. I’ll throw a couple of names at you that I’ve heard so far. One is Avery Bradley, a kid from Texas, a terrific jump shooter and defender who is really great in transition of what I’ve seen of him. Another is Elliot Williams, a kid from Memphis, he’s kind of an attack-the-rim kind of player who gets to the free throw line a lot. I really like him as a Ray Allen replacement type. … And the other guy is a Kentucky guy, Eric Bledsoe. I mean, I know talking to other people within the Celtics that he had a great workout for them a couple of weeks ago. He’s incredibly explosive and incredibly raw because we don’t know what were going to get from him because he played behind John Wall all last year. He’s a guy to keep your eye on because I think Boston is going to look to replace that bench.

I remember another guy around here who was "incredibly explosive and incredibly raw"...  Sorry, not a fan of those types...they end up blowing out cupcakes that sit on rims and little else...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."