Author Topic: Chad Ford: Celtics looking to move up in draft  (Read 29524 times)

Re: Chad Ford: Celtics looking to move up in draft
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2010, 06:17:50 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
xavier henry is who i want

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2010, 06:19:50 PM »

Offline bballee

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 18

Can't really understand why the Pacers would want to get out of the draft.

Indy is close to the luxury tax (probably about $3 million under it).  If they add a lottery pick to that, it puts them right up against it, and they haven't even thought about the MLE. 

If there is not anyone who they are in love with, I could see them try to use the pick to shed some salary, and pick up a future pick in return.

A deal I think could be very intriguing would be Sheed and a future #1 for Foster and #11.  That would give the Pacers some much needed savings this season, and a future number 1, and the C's get a very servicable backup center, and a lottery pick. 

Whoa Chris, this makes way too much sense. 

The more I think about it, I think it makes much more sense to make it Sheed and #19 for Foster and #11, because as someone pointed out, the C's don't want to risk the future pick being a high one.  I also think that might help keep the Indy fans happy, because they still get a rookie this season, since I have a feeling they won't have a ton to be excited about, other than trade rumors with their expiring contracts.

And if the C's get the #11 pick, they can get one of the wings they covet, or possibly a guy like Udoh to put up front, and #19 might not be as necessary.

I liked your idea of Sheed and a future if it is 2011.  This draft has lots of enticing mid-round picks and we need to get started with the energy injection.  But then I want Wyc to buy two or three picks.  I also like the idea of Sheed for Beasley and #18 which allows Miami to go for three big names.

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2010, 06:22:36 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

I want a lot of these players but I have to say that Henry is someone I can see developing into a number one option. He has good size and great range. But most of importantly he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I read a lot of reports saying that he is one of the most mature players in the draft. Pretty impressive for a 19 year-old.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2010, 06:28:04 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I want a lot of these players but I have to say that Henry is someone I can see developing into a number one option. He has good size and great range. But most of importantly he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I read a lot of reports saying that he is one of the most mature players in the draft. Pretty impressive for a 19 year-old.
Henry sounds more like a fourth or fifth option, possibly a third option, in the NBA.

A lack of ball-handling ability. An inability to create his own shots outside of catch and shoots running off of screens. A lack of passing/playmaking ability. That doesn't sound like a guy who can be a go-to option for a team.

Henry's main value appears to be size, athleticism, defensive qualities, rebounding ability, shooting ability + solid but unexceptional scoring ability. In other words, an big athletic two guard who is a plus defender and rebounder and is difficult to play against + scores 15ppg and shoots very well from all over the court.

That was my impression of Henry from the scouting reports.

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2010, 06:29:16 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I want a lot of these players

I'm the complete opposite.  I don't want most of the players talked about because they are all too raw and not ready to contribute. 

I'm most concerned about the Cs doing what they can to extend the window.  That means resigning Ray Allen for starters, thinking about how to deal with Sheed (a trade seems best, but will probably bring back a poor contract), and then thinking about either (a) which player at #19 is most ready to contribute now or (b) what can the Cs get in return for the pick?

I know that Ainge can pick gems in the draft, but I'll let him buy an early 2nd rounder for that.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2010, 06:30:06 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

I agree with Emilio, celticinO and jr. I want Henry too. Maybe, like PP, another jayhawk, we can get him thru some luck or guile or both. I just got a feeling.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:51:26 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2010, 06:30:30 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I'm hedging a little on Daniel Orton now that Real Gm is reporting his knees are bothering him again.

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2010, 06:34:24 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
if we can't trade up, then buy 18, take the best wing player available and roll the dice with Whiteside @ 19.

I am hoping the Queens will take 19 and Sheed's contract and cash for No. 5 and we add Cousins.

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2010, 06:36:39 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Indy is close to the luxury tax (probably about $3 million under it).  If they add a lottery pick to that, it puts them right up against it, and they haven't even thought about the MLE. 

If there is not anyone who they are in love with, I could see them try to use the pick to shed some salary, and pick up a future pick in return.

A deal I think could be very intriguing would be Sheed and a future #1 for Foster and #11.  That would give the Pacers some much needed savings this season, and a future number 1, and the C's get a very servicable backup center, and a lottery pick. 

best deal of the night.....still have 3 pages to go.

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2010, 06:51:18 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Agree that you'd have to also do the amended version, swapping the #19 instead of the future pick, but I also would rather it be a future pick (hopefully 2011...but whenever is also okay)....I think we need young guys right now to come in a learn how to go deep in the playoffs, let the big 3 rub off on them, etc....

Also, #19 in this draft could end up being a better player than #11....wouldn't be that bizarre...this is a wild draft....

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2010, 06:53:59 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154

I agree with Emilio, celticinO and jr. I want Henry two. Maybe, like PP, another jayhawk, we can get him thru some luck or guile or both. I just got a feeling.

Is one of you guys working for ESPN? In a strange oddity that has since been corrected, the draft order on ESPN's main draft page listed "14. Houston Rockets (Rights to X. Henry traded to Boston)" Obviously some sort of hoax since there's no telling if Henry will still be available at 14, but I thought it amusing in the context of this discussion. Sucks the evidence is gone now though after I wasted time seeing if somebody had posted it already in this thread. Anybody else see it over the past hour?
Go Celtics.

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2010, 06:57:10 PM »

Offline EmilioBonilla

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 8

I agree with Emilio, celticinO and jr. I want Henry two. Maybe, like PP, another jayhawk, we can get him thru some luck or guile or both. I just got a feeling.

Is one of you guys working for ESPN? In a strange oddity that has since been corrected, the draft order on ESPN's main draft page listed "14. Houston Rockets (Rights to X. Henry traded to Boston)" Obviously some sort of hoax since there's no telling if Henry will still be available at 14, but I thought it amusing in the context of this discussion. Sucks the evidence is gone now though after I wasted time seeing if somebody had posted it already in this thread. Anybody else see it over the past hour?

No haha i wish i worked for espn, but i think we 4 just see the potential in this guy. This guy can win ROY being under us.
I bleed Green

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2010, 07:32:38 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Is it realistic?  Foster will be an expiring, Sheed's still got two more years. ie: Foster>Sheed.  Also, #11>#19.  Seems like the Cs win big time, and Indy loses.  Why would Indy do this?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2010, 07:36:12 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Is it realistic?  Foster will be an expiring, Sheed's still got two more years. ie: Foster>Sheed.  Also, #11>#19.  Seems like the Cs win big time, and Indy loses.  Why would Indy do this?

Because everyone assumes that Sheed is retiring, and will tear up his contract, forfeiting the last two years and the millions of dollars those years represent.

Yeah, I won't believe it until it happens either.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2010, 07:39:02 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Because everyone assumes that Sheed is retiring, and will tear up his contract, forfeiting the last two years and the millions of dollars those years represent.

Yeah, I won't believe it until it happens either.

And leave $13M on the table?  Not a chance. He might agree to a buyout at, say, $10M, but then he stays on the books and is not tradeable.
Celtics fan for life.