Author Topic: Chad Ford: Celtics looking to move up in draft  (Read 29417 times)

Re: Chad Ford: Celtics looking to move up in draft
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 03:13:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Can't really understand why the Pacers would want to get out of the draft.

Indy is close to the luxury tax (probably about $3 million under it).  If they add a lottery pick to that, it puts them right up against it, and they haven't even thought about the MLE. 

If there is not anyone who they are in love with, I could see them try to use the pick to shed some salary, and pick up a future pick in return.

A deal I think could be very intriguing would be Sheed and a future #1 for Foster and #11.  That would give the Pacers some much needed savings this season, and a future number 1, and the C's get a very servicable backup center, and a lottery pick. 
With this team near the end of it's run I don't think giving away future picks is a good idea.

For a lottery pick?  I think its a safe bet. 

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 03:13:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I didn't take Ford's comment to suggest that the C's were trying to move up to #5 in the draft.  I think he was just using that opporunity by pointing out the first team trying to trade down to point out that there are many teams who are interested in trading up.  

It is interesting though.  It tells me that Danny does have someone he is targetting who they do not expect to slip.  Could it be Babbitt?  Maybe Bradley? George?

Now, if the C's were looking to trade into the top 5, I think Sheed's contract would be a huge piece of that.  They could take someone like Udrih off the Kings hands.  But that wouldn't be enough.  I would have said Perkins would be a great match a few weeks ago, but now, with the injury, and the Kings picking up Dalembert, the fit just isn't there.  So it would have to be something like Sheed, Davis, and a first round pick for Udrih and #5.  

Yeah I think you are right on about this. Still it is fun to dream and try to connect dots.  :)
If that's the deal on the table, I'm all for it especially if Danny has a plan in the works to buy another mid or late 1st rounder. 

Sheed as a retirement contract is as good as an expiring deal.  With teams still looking to get lower in the cap, that's not an insignificant trading chip.  Enabling Sac to ditch Udrih's bad contract, having Sheed also off their books while picking up BBD for their frontcourt and getting the C's 19 pick is a great deal for Sac.  C's would have a decent player for their bench while picking up a young big man that has a much greater upside than BBD.  the only issue for the C's is they have a gaping hole at Center to start the season unless they sign a FA big man.

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2010, 03:19:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I don't understand why Rasheed's contract, (assuming it'll be a wash and he retires) + # 19 for Fransico Garcia (3 years remaining, starting in 10/11) + #5 isn't a done deal?

Sacramento moves Evans back to teh 2 where he was more comfortable and they can address their point issue with Bledsoe or Bradley, and if Sheed's contract doesn't get paid next season, that puts Sacramento on equal footing with Chicago as far as $ goes for this summer.

Course, this is all assuming that Sheed will make a decision on this retirement in a speedy fashion. Highly unlikely.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2010, 03:20:04 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I didn't take Ford's comment to suggest that the C's were trying to move up to #5 in the draft.  I think he was just using that opporunity by pointing out the first team trying to trade down to point out that there are many teams who are interested in trading up.  

It is interesting though.  It tells me that Danny does have someone he is targetting who they do not expect to slip.  Could it be Babbitt?  Maybe Bradley? George?

Now, if the C's were looking to trade into the top 5, I think Sheed's contract would be a huge piece of that.  They could take someone like Udrih off the Kings hands.  But that wouldn't be enough.  I would have said Perkins would be a great match a few weeks ago, but now, with the injury, and the Kings picking up Dalembert, the fit just isn't there.  So it would have to be something like Sheed, Davis, and a first round pick for Udrih and #5.  

Yeah I think you are right on about this. Still it is fun to dream and try to connect dots.  :)
If that's the deal on the table, I'm all for it especially if Danny has a plan in the works to buy another mid or late 1st rounder. 

Sheed as a retirement contract is as good as an expiring deal.  With teams still looking to get lower in the cap, that's not an insignificant trading chip.  Enabling Sac to ditch Udrih's bad contract, having Sheed also off their books while picking up BBD for their frontcourt and getting the C's 19 pick is a great deal for Sac.  C's would have a decent player for their bench while picking up a young big man that has a much greater upside than BBD.  the only issue for the C's is they have a gaping hole at Center to start the season unless they sign a FA big man.

Deal doesn't work, unless you take Davis out.

Sheed for Garcia or Udrih would certainly constitute future payroll savings for Sacto. But if the #5 pick is included, it's not a fair deal for the Kings, even more so if Garcia is included.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2010, 03:20:51 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I don't understand why Rasheed's contract, (assuming it'll be a wash and he retires) + # 19 for Fransico Garcia (3 years remaining, starting in 10/11) + #5 isn't a done deal?

Sacramento moves Evans back to teh 2 where he was more comfortable and they can address their point issue with Bledsoe or Bradley, and if Sheed's contract doesn't get paid next season, that puts Sacramento on equal footing with Chicago as far as $ goes for this summer.

Course, this is all assuming that Sheed will make a decision on this retirement in a speedy fashion. Highly unlikely.

Boston gets the best player and the best pick in the deal. There's no way Geoff Petrie agrees to this.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2010, 03:32:34 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Indy is close to the luxury tax (probably about $3 million under it).  If they add a lottery pick to that, it puts them right up against it, and they haven't even thought about the MLE. 

If there is not anyone who they are in love with, I could see them try to use the pick to shed some salary, and pick up a future pick in return.

A deal I think could be very intriguing would be Sheed and a future #1 for Foster and #11.  That would give the Pacers some much needed savings this season, and a future number 1, and the C's get a very servicable backup center, and a lottery pick. 
With this team near the end of it's run I don't think giving away future picks is a good idea.

You're probably right. I'm not positive we can get a lottery pick for an expiring contract though.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2010, 03:35:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

You're probably right. I'm not positive we can get a lottery pick for an expiring contract though.

Brandon Roy begs to differ.  And lets remember, this is not a typical "expiring contract", this is (potentially) a contract that will expire immediately. 

Generally, an expiring contract means you still have to pay a year for them.  This one is not the case.  It is free cap space, and is therefore like gold. 

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2010, 03:36:07 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Rasheed Wallace has not decided to retire. No yet anyway.

And, very importantly, Sheed will not have reached a decision on whether to retire or not prior to the draft.

Therefore, Rasheed Wallace has no (positive) role to play in any draft day trades. He is a large negative trade asset and should be treated as such.

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2010, 03:38:02 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Brandon Roy begs to differ.  And lets remember, this is not a typical "expiring contract", this is (potentially) a contract that will expire immediately. 

Generally, an expiring contract means you still have to pay a year for them.  This one is not the case.  It is free cap space, and is therefore like gold. 
See I don't really think that the only reason they traded that pick was for the expiring contract. I believe they legitimately thought Telfair was going to be better than anyone they could have got at that pick.

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2010, 03:41:57 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Boston gets the best player and the best pick in the deal. There's no way Geoff Petrie agrees to this.

Well it depends on how you look at it. Boston is getting the best player, but a player who will be pine riding for Sacto all the same. On top of that it's a player they're paying 5.6 million + to for the next 3 years.

That's a burden for a team that has the capability to sign a max level FA this summer, and next if they continue cutting salary.

I hate the "best player, best pick" dismiss. That only works in August, Lucky. Stop low balling me. Alright, my 1st and my 2nd for your first and Danny Granger.

Deal?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 03:44:31 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Well it depends on how you look at it. Boston is getting the best player, but a player who will be pine riding for Sacto all the same. On top of that it's a player they're paying 5.6 million + to for the next 3 years.

That's a burden for a team that has the capability to sign a max level FA this summer, and next if they continue cutting salary.

I hate the "best player, best pick" dismiss. That only works in August, Lucky. Stop low balling me. Alright, my 1st and my 2nd for your first and Danny Granger.

Deal?
IP you get a TP for referencing the Celticsblog draft. On a related note you all are dead meat.

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2010, 03:48:46 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Deal?
IP you get a TP for referencing the Celticsblog draft. On a related note you all are dead meat.

Anybody want Mo Williams?

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2010, 03:50:50 PM »

Offline EmilioBonilla

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 8

Deal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPb2nZPxffU
naww man....WTH?????
I bleed Green

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 03:54:46 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Deal?

I'll give you a 13th rounder for him.

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2010, 03:56:08 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Deal?

I'll give you a 13th rounder for him.

I hate you all.