Author Topic: Chad Ford: Celtics looking to move up in draft  (Read 29526 times)

Re: Chad Ford: Celtics looking to move up in draft
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 02:28:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I didn't take Ford's comment to suggest that the C's were trying to move up to #5 in the draft.  I think he was just using that opporunity by pointing out the first team trying to trade down to point out that there are many teams who are interested in trading up.  

It is interesting though.  It tells me that Danny does have someone he is targetting who they do not expect to slip.  Could it be Babbitt?  Maybe Bradley? George?

Now, if the C's were looking to trade into the top 5, I think Sheed's contract would be a huge piece of that.  They could take someone like Udrih off the Kings hands.  But that wouldn't be enough.  I would have said Perkins would be a great match a few weeks ago, but now, with the injury, and the Kings picking up Dalembert, the fit just isn't there.  So it would have to be something like Sheed, Davis, and a first round pick for Udrih and #5.  

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 02:28:50 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
1) I see nothing on this roster of value that give us a top five pick.

2) I think Cousins is overrated...I'm not fond of drafting bigs that high (unless it appears they are a "can't miss" of which Cousins is not).

3) This should appeal to those who want a jersey with the name "James" on the back of it.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 02:29:38 PM »

Offline EmilioBonilla

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 8
I say we trade with milwaukee, houston or toronto to get one of their picks to get XAVIER HENRY. This would be a perfect replacement for ray for when he is gone after 2 years and he could really blossom under ray and paul's wing and get that defensive intensity knocked into him from KG. I really think he could mold into a Brandon Roy type player, he has it all.
I bleed Green

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 02:31:08 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
We have no chips.

We have no trade exceptions. Sign and trades on draft night are not possible.

The only people that can be traded on draft night are Sheed, Davis, Rondo, Garnett, and Perkins.

So what the hell is he offering then? Davis/Perk and the #19?

As Mark Jackson would say, "that's not gonna get it done."

I guess I should amend my statement to say: we have virtually no chips.

Sheed could be dealt to a team looking for long term payroll relief. But, I think he'd have to make an official announcement that he is filing retirement papers with the league or, at the very least, is declining the player option on the last year of his contract, preferably on or before draft night.

Depending on how badly Sacramento wants to get out of a contract, we easily have chips similar to what Portland traded to us to get a top 5 pick.

If Rasheed is really on the verge of retiring. Swapping him and the 19th pick for Udrih or Garcia could very well net the Celtics the #5 pick. Interesting.

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 02:35:18 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

If Rasheed is really on the verge of retiring. Swapping him and the 19th pick for Udrih or Garcia could very well net the Celtics the #5 pick. Interesting.

I believe that's the only kind of scenario that works, according to the numbers.

Talentwise, though? I'm not so sure.

Udrih and #5 for Sheed, #19, cash, and a future 1st?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 02:35:41 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
We have no chips.

The only people that can be traded on draft night are Sheed, Davis, Rondo, Garnett, and Perkins.

Sheed could be dealt to a team looking for long term payroll relief. But, I think he'd have to make an official announcement that he is filing retirement papers with the league or, at the very least, is declining the player option on the last year of his contract, preferably on or before draft night.

Depending on how badly Sacramento wants to get out of a contract, we easily have chips similar to what Portland traded to us to get a top 5 pick.

I would love a sheed + 19 and future pick for Garcia and # 5. Garcia is basically tayshon prince, but hasn't been on a contender so he isn't appreciated like he should be as a great role player. I would even give up BBD, but we would have to get something else back too.

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 02:38:43 PM »

Offline EmilioBonilla

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 8
We have no chips.

I would love a sheed + 19 and future pick for Garcia and # 5. Garcia is basically tayshon prince, but hasn't been on a contender so he isn't appreciated like he should be as a great role player. I would even give up BBD, but we would have to get something else back too.

Who would you like them to pick up with the 5th pick? Cousins?
I bleed Green

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 02:41:55 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I didn't take Ford's comment to suggest that the C's were trying to move up to #5 in the draft.  I think he was just using that opporunity by pointing out the first team trying to trade down to point out that there are many teams who are interested in trading up.

I agree. I don't think moving up means we are looking at the #5 pick. If I had to guess, I would say that Danny is probably looking at the Hornets or Pacers pick since both are reportedly trying to get out of the draft.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 02:43:22 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
We have no chips.

Who would you like them to pick up with the 5th pick? Cousins?

I have been really high on Ekpe Udoh, but it may be a bit high to take him. I like Monroe a lot and Babbit too. It would either be a wing or big man .

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 02:45:02 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
And yet, had we traded them after last year, when their respective values were never higher, we might have been able to acquire perhaps the Pistons' pick and be in the lottery this year.

Heck, if we had moved Perk, Davis, and Tony (expiring contract) to Detroit in a sign and trade for Sheed, a 2010 1st rounder (Dumars would have said no, but it never hurts to ask), and two of their second round picks in the 09 draft, we could have Jerebko and Blair right now.  This is why you have to think a few steps ahead. 

Looking back, in 2008, we should have drafted CDR, but took JR Giddens.  Personally, after reading scouting reports that year, I was hoping that we would take Bill Walker with the 30th pick because of his lottery-level talent.  We got him anyway, but now that I think about it, CDR would have been the better choice.  He played for coach Cal, whose dribble drive motion offense is what Doc based our offensive sets around - so the system wouldn't have been new to him.  Last year, we could have gotten Wes Matthews, but didn't. 

Maybe we should have asked for some kind of pick from NO when Posey left, you know, in some kind of sign and trade.  But hey, we are where we are.  Miami might sell their pick - we should buy.  We should buy as many 1st rounders as possible.  Paul George would be the perfect player for us, but we won't get him now, either.

We could have replaced Perk with Ben Wallace in the offseason and still made the Finals, and might have won it all.

Bottom line, get as much talent as possible.  If we could buy 1st rounders, Lance Stephenson, Willie Warren, etc. could be ours.  Danny has really screwed up in the draft over the past two years - he has to perform extremely well this year.

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 02:50:22 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Would love to get up there to get Cousins. I think he is going to be a beast in the leauge. Do I think it will happen.. No.. I could see up getting to about the 12 rang but 5 is really high. Unless Danny has something up his sleeve then I am all for getting up there unless it involes Rondo and KG.

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 02:54:27 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I agree. I don't think moving up means we are looking at the #5 pick. If I had to guess, I would say that Danny is probably looking at the Hornets or Pacers pick since both are reportedly trying to get out of the draft.
I agree that moving up probably doesn't mean the #5 pick. There is no way we have the chips to get that deal done.

I think the Hornets would give up their first rounder if it meant getting someone like James Posey off their books.

Can't really understand why the Pacers would want to get out of the draft.

The more I read about the draft, the more I like it. If we can grab another pick around where we pick I think we could get two guys that will help us now as well as in the future.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 02:57:50 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

It is interesting though.  It tells me that Danny does have someone he is targetting who they do not expect to slip.  Could it be Babbitt?  Maybe Bradley? George?

Now, if the C's were looking to trade into the top 5, I think Sheed's contract would be a huge piece of that.  They could take someone like Udrih off the Kings hands.  But that wouldn't be enough.  I would have said Perkins would be a great match a few weeks ago, but now, with the injury, and the Kings picking up Dalembert, the fit just isn't there.  So it would have to be something like Sheed, Davis, and a first round pick for Udrih and #5.  

Yeah I think you are right on about this. Still it is fun to dream and try to connect dots.  :)

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 03:07:48 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Indy is close to the luxury tax (probably about $3 million under it).  If they add a lottery pick to that, it puts them right up against it, and they haven't even thought about the MLE. 

If there is not anyone who they are in love with, I could see them try to use the pick to shed some salary, and pick up a future pick in return.

A deal I think could be very intriguing would be Sheed and a future #1 for Foster and #11.  That would give the Pacers some much needed savings this season, and a future number 1, and the C's get a very servicable backup center, and a lottery pick. 

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 03:10:59 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Indy is close to the luxury tax (probably about $3 million under it).  If they add a lottery pick to that, it puts them right up against it, and they haven't even thought about the MLE. 

If there is not anyone who they are in love with, I could see them try to use the pick to shed some salary, and pick up a future pick in return.

A deal I think could be very intriguing would be Sheed and a future #1 for Foster and #11.  That would give the Pacers some much needed savings this season, and a future number 1, and the C's get a very servicable backup center, and a lottery pick. 
With this team near the end of it's run I don't think giving away future picks is a good idea.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19