Author Topic: Chad Ford: Celtics looking to move up in draft  (Read 29529 times)

Chad Ford: Celtics looking to move up in draft
« on: June 22, 2010, 01:48:44 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
in Chad Ford's latest mock, he says this (in the Kings slot #5)

So where does that leave Sacramento? I hear Cousins might have a slight lead over Monroe, but it's very close. However, more and more, a third option is emerging: Trading the pick. GM Geoff Petrie has zero history of trading down in the draft, but the Kings are actively exploring their options with so many teams pining to get their hands on Cousins -- everyone from Detroit to Boston has been looking at moving up.

not surprised that Ainge is looking to trade up, but could he go as high as #5?  with what bait?  Big Baby?

by the way, Ford picks Damion James for us at 19

Analysis: I've had Alabi going to Boston for weeks. But after finding out Monday that the team hasn't been able to get him in for a workout, I'm hedging.

I still believe the Celtics like Alabi a lot, however, the name I'm hearing more and more out of Boston is James. He makes a lot of sense for the Celtics. He's a tough, physical player who can play both the 3 and the 4 for them. He's one of the few guys left in the draft that can come in and play on a veteran team like the Celtics right away.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: Chad Ford: Celtics looking to move up in draft
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 01:54:14 PM »

Offline vwoodruff

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 45
My guess would be:

S&T Nate Robinson and a pick

for

#5 and a contract (Udrih, Garcia)

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 01:55:01 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
I don't see how Ainge can move up to #5. We just don't have the chips, especially if there's competition for the pick.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 01:56:45 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
We have no chips.

We have no trade exceptions. Sign and trades on draft night are not possible.

The only people that can be traded on draft night are Sheed, Davis, Rondo, Garnett, and Perkins.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 02:03:35 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
We have no chips.

The only people that can be traded on draft night are Sheed, Davis, Rondo, Garnett, and Perkins.

So what the hell is he offering then? Davis/Perk and the #19?

As Mark Jackson would say, "that's not gonna get it done."

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 02:08:08 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
We have no chips.

I guess I should amend my statement to say: we have virtually no chips.

Sheed could be dealt to a team looking for long term payroll relief. But, I think he'd have to make an official announcement that he is filing retirement papers with the league or, at the very least, is declining the player option on the last year of his contract, preferably on or before draft night.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 02:10:06 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
The Celtics could be offering a future draft pick. However I suspect that this is more of a kicking the tires rumor.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 02:11:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
We have no chips.

I guess I should amend my statement to say: we have virtually no chips.

Sheed could be dealt to a team looking for long term payroll relief. But, I think he'd have to make an official announcement that he is filing retirement papers with the league or, at the very least, is declining the player option on the last year of his contract, preferably on or before draft night.

Depending on how badly Sacramento wants to get out of a contract, we easily have chips similar to what Portland traded to us to get a top 5 pick.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 02:15:14 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119
If the Cs buy MIami's pick, package it with #19, Baby and a future first, that might be enough to get to #5 where we could pick Cousins.  It's not out of the realm of possibility--it depends on what Sac thinks of Baby and what they think they can get at 18 and 19.

Cousins is ROY material and might end up being the best player in this draft.  He needs the right environment to develop and I think he'd find that in Boston.  A Rondo/Cousins core going forward is championship caliber, and we'd extend the BIg 3 window in the process. 
Folly. Persist.

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 02:15:45 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Can we trade #19 and next year's first rounder?  Are we allowed to trade first round picks in consecutive drafts, if we get a first rounder back in return?

Not that I'd necessarily advocate doing that (would really suck to have the team flame out next year AND not have a draft pick)

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 02:19:16 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Can we trade #19 and next year's first rounder?  Are we allowed to trade first round picks in consecutive drafts, if we get a first rounder back in return?

Not that I'd necessarily advocate doing that (would really suck to have the team flame out next year AND not have a draft pick)

Can't trade first rounders in consecutive years.

Celtics could draft at #19 and then trade the player's rights, along with a 2011 1st rounder, to another team.

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 02:22:16 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Can't trade first rounders in consecutive years.

Celtics could draft at #19 and then trade the player's rights, along with a 2011 1st rounder, to another team.

Yup that's the only way to trade picks in consecutive years.

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 02:24:43 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'm just happy to hear we're looking into moving up. I can't see us going all the way to 5, but that would be great. Franchise players are found in the top 5(KG for instance). TP for the rumor Jeff you know we'll take anything we can get in the off-season :).

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 02:28:22 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
I'm just happy to hear we're looking into moving up. I can't see us going all the way to 5, but that would be great. Franchise players are found in the top 5(KG for instance). TP for the rumor Jeff you know we'll take anything we can get in the off-season :).

All this makes me wonder... supposedly we had decided not to retool, but if Doc is now leaning towards leaving... maybe a bigger move looms. Seems like Danny kicked the tires on moving up to get Tyreke Evans last year. Maybe he has someone he likes that much this year too.

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 02:28:42 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
If the Cs buy MIami's pick, package it with #19, Baby and a future first, that might be enough to get to #5 where we could pick Cousins.  It's not out of the realm of possibility--it depends on what Sac thinks of Baby and what they think they can get at 18 and 19.

Cousins is ROY material and might end up being the best player in this draft.  He needs the right environment to develop and I think he'd find that in Boston.  A Rondo/Cousins core going forward is championship caliber, and we'd extend the BIg 3 window in the process.  

Davis' BYC status makes it virtually impossible to find a workable trade.

None of Sacramento's players work as a return for Davis, according to the ESPN Trade checker.