Author Topic: Instant replay in soccer  (Read 11346 times)

Re: Instant replay in soccer
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 12:09:25 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
You cannot blame the assistant referee.

He was in line with the penultimate defender - that's where he should be.

I've watched football for 40 years, and these incidents happen.

Personally, I'm against technology as it would slow the flow of the game down.

I believe FIFA or UEFA have tried chips in the ball and it wasn't a success
but I'll happily try any potential improvement.

I don`t like the ideas about chips and cameras either. Mistakes are part of football. So is taking the blame.

It`s assistant`s job to check the lines not mine. If he can`t do it then he can retire and spent time fishing.! This was SOOOO EASY call !! The ball was half a meter behind the line. He saw that Defoe was offside (i`m not sure after 3-4 replays) but he didn`t see this ? Come on

Sure, it's an easy call, in slow motion, from the best tv camera angle available, when you know to watch for it.

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 12:36:59 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I guess you were watching the game next to me and you can say that right ?

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 01:20:15 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I guess you were watching the game next to me and you can say that right ?

It's a bang-bang play. The ball probably traveled from the crossbar to the ground to 3 feet in the air in 1/10th of a second. I'm not saying you didn't see the goal clearly in real time. I'm not saying the ref or the AR shouldn't have been able to make the call. But I don't think it's "SOOOO EASY" to get the call right when the AR's not on the back line.

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 01:49:32 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
FIFA is very conservative and too political. Hopefully today's game will force them to make the necessary changes.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 02:25:48 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I`m pretty sure nothing will change (i am sure i want too)

At least regarding the use of electronic equipment. Possibly they`ll use an aextra pair of assistants like in the Europa league.

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 02:30:03 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Why can't they put two people behind each goal the entire game like hockey?  At least in the World Cup or something.

Basically, their sole purpose is to judge goal or no goal. 

(Full disclosure...I know very little about soccer and the World Cup is the only time I really get into soccer.)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 03:06:04 PM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
Why can't they put two people behind each goal the entire game like hockey?  At least in the World Cup or something.

Basically, their sole purpose is to judge goal or no goal. 

(Full disclosure...I know very little about soccer and the World Cup is the only time I really get into soccer.)

I was just going to suggest that.  Same as Gaelic Football or Aussie Rules.  Low tech solution.  Still leaves it open to human error tho.
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 03:23:15 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Behind the goal isn`t the best position. They should be on the goal line a few meters of the post. And they should have more to do than this. The assistants on the sidelines should only be interested in offsides.

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 03:47:37 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
You should get something like 2 camera challenges per game. It's crazy that there is no system already when you consider a goal can be the equivalent of 2 touchdowns or 50 nba points or something. I feel it must be very hard to determine offsides in real time.

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2010, 04:09:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Replay doesn't fit in as well to soccer as it does to other sports because there are so few stoppages. I can't see it used for much beyond whether a goal was scored or not.

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2010, 04:26:08 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I´m for everything that doesn´t interrupt the flow of the game, but I´m certain that the FIFA won´t change anything. The official reason is that "it´s part of football and it´s history", and that we all allegedly love to discuss bad calls as much as we love to watch the game.
Did I mention that the average age in the FIFA executive committee regarding rule changes is north of 85 (no exaggeration)?

Regarding the ball, it´s just an Adidas ball, the FIFA doesn´t pay anything for it`s development, as far as I know. I think any complaints about the ball are moot, as every team has to play with the same ball, and if you´re a professional player, you should be able to deal with it.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2010, 10:14:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5335440/ce/us/fifa-censor-stadium-replays&cc=5901?ver=us

I know other sports do this, but it just highlights FIFA's solution to every problem.

Ignore it.

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2010, 09:01:37 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I am a big World Cup fan but I have to admit, this is pretty rediculous.  Come on FIFA, get with it.  I think the solution is so simple.  Just use the 4th referee (which they have anyway just in case something happens to any refs) and have him in front of a TV.  When there is a controversial call regarding goals, then the ref should be able to see the play as it happens, or be able to rewind it a few seconds, and make the right call nullifying the main ref.  This can be used for only goals, or perhaps some offsides that may result in goals, and it can be quick, like 10-15 seconds as the event happened.  Also, I think red cards and second yellow cards should be rescended after games when it's clear flopping, and give cards to the flopper.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 01:25:18 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I am a big World Cup fan but I have to admit, this is pretty rediculous.  Come on FIFA, get with it.  I think the solution is so simple.  Just use the 4th referee (which they have anyway just in case something happens to any refs) and have him in front of a TV.  When there is a controversial call regarding goals, then the ref should be able to see the play as it happens, or be able to rewind it a few seconds, and make the right call nullifying the main ref.  This can be used for only goals, or perhaps some offsides that may result in goals, and it can be quick, like 10-15 seconds as the event happened.  Also, I think red cards and second yellow cards should be rescended after games when it's clear flopping, and give cards to the flopper.

I like this idea a lot especially the last part.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.