Author Topic: Who Do You Like at #19?  (Read 15002 times)

Re: Who Do You Like at #19?
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2010, 08:59:42 AM »

Offline cordialb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
I don't get the people ho love Daniel Orton. I watch a ton of college ball and never saw him play last year or if I did he was so unremarkable as to be unmemorable. He's big and the draft gurus are saying stuff about him but that's all I know and I have to guess, that's all anyone here at CB knows unless they know the kid or is some kind of Kentucky basketball nut.

But I have seen people for weeks professing to want this kid that averaged 3 PPG and 3 RPG. He only twice scored more than 10 points and never had more than 9 rebounds in a game while only having over 5 rebounds in a game 4 times(6 once, 7 twice and 9 once).

Also, he apparently has a bad knee. I don't get the love of this guy. Me, I just don't have an opinion on him one way or the other, but I would never use a first round pick on a guy that could not even get minutes on his college team to show what he has.

I am one of the aforementioned KY nuts, and while i like Orton b/c he was a UK player, i really hope the C's steer clear of picking him. 

With strength and size, he has the defensive tools to contribute right away as a very good shot blocker.  He shows some promise from midrange, but his shot is terribly inconsistant and often times flat. 

He has very very little post game, showing to be extremely uncomfortable with his back to the basket.  He is still feeling the effects of a knee injury that kept him out his senior year of high school.  He often times missed dunks b/c he lacked the explosiveness to elevate possibly by the knee.

I will make the prediction right now.  Orton will prove to be more of a head case than Cousins.  Sure, cousins has a nastier streak and plays with a chip on his shoulder, but he is really a good kid when it all boils down.  Orton has shown to be a bit of a Type A personality often showing frustration with lack of playing time and recognition.  His family fuels the problems, as is evident with his lack of an agent due to family dispute.  Calipari worked hard to cover up Ortons displeased attitude and routinely made games to be about orton saying 'orton was my mvp of the game' or 'if we win the championship, noone is more important than orton'.  He routinely looked so uncomfortable with the ball. 

While with a body and good hands, Orton is a project who will most likely play sparingly, provide some shot blocking, and best case will eventually end up a solid big off the bench.  Being a UK nut, i will always root for orton, but i would feel much more comfortable if the C's went with someone else.

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2010, 09:08:53 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't get the people ho love Daniel Orton. I watch a ton of college ball and never saw him play last year or if I did he was so unremarkable as to be unmemorable. He's big and the draft gurus are saying stuff about him but that's all I know and I have to guess, that's all anyone here at CB knows unless they know the kid or is some kind of Kentucky basketball nut.

But I have seen people for weeks professing to want this kid that averaged 3 PPG and 3 RPG. He only twice scored more than 10 points and never had more than 9 rebounds in a game while only having over 5 rebounds in a game 4 times(6 once, 7 twice and 9 once).

Also, he apparently has a bad knee. I don't get the love of this guy. Me, I just don't have an opinion on him one way or the other, but I would never use a first round pick on a guy that could not even get minutes on his college team to show what he has.

I am one of the aforementioned KY nuts, and while i like Orton b/c he was a UK player, i really hope the C's steer clear of picking him. 

With strength and size, he has the defensive tools to contribute right away as a very good shot blocker.  He shows some promise from midrange, but his shot is terribly inconsistant and often times flat. 

He has very very little post game, showing to be extremely uncomfortable with his back to the basket.  He is still feeling the effects of a knee injury that kept him out his senior year of high school.  He often times missed dunks b/c he lacked the explosiveness to elevate possibly by the knee.

I will make the prediction right now.  Orton will prove to be more of a head case than Cousins.  Sure, cousins has a nastier streak and plays with a chip on his shoulder, but he is really a good kid when it all boils down.  Orton has shown to be a bit of a Type A personality often showing frustration with lack of playing time and recognition.  His family fuels the problems, as is evident with his lack of an agent due to family dispute.  Calipari worked hard to cover up Ortons displeased attitude and routinely made games to be about orton saying 'orton was my mvp of the game' or 'if we win the championship, noone is more important than orton'.  He routinely looked so uncomfortable with the ball. 

While with a body and good hands, Orton is a project who will most likely play sparingly, provide some shot blocking, and best case will eventually end up a solid big off the bench.  Being a UK nut, i will always root for orton, but i would feel much more comfortable if the C's went with someone else.

TP for the great scouting report.

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2010, 11:34:16 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Chad Ford has Avery Bradley falling to the C's at 19 in his latest mock draft...and I am thrilled.  Bradley is one of the best defenders in the draft, can play both guard spots, is a very good scorer, and has a ton of talent.  He seems like one of those combo guards that have really excelled in the NBA the last few years.  He is one of the few guys I would want the C's to keep the pick for.

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2010, 11:48:49 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Chad Ford has Avery Bradley falling to the C's at 19 in his latest mock draft...and I am thrilled.  Bradley is one of the best defenders in the draft, can play both guard spots, is a very good scorer, and has a ton of talent.  He seems like one of those combo guards that have really excelled in the NBA the last few years.  He is one of the few guys I would want the C's to keep the pick for.

He may be the best value there, but if the C's stay put and draft him I bet it's for someone else as part of some deal.

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2010, 11:53:28 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

He may be the best value there, but if the C's stay put and draft him I bet it's for someone else as part of some deal.
I think Avery Bradley is perfect for us. If we pick him then trade him I will break something.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2010, 01:38:57 PM »

Offline jt21

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 9
I really like Xavier Henry, although he's been projected in most mocks to go just a bit higher. He has good size at 6-7 and is a good defender as well as a great shooter, which the Celtics have severely lacked off the bench.   One overlooked aspect was the fact that he started for the #1 overall seed in the NCAA tourney.

IMO the celtics biggest needs are 1. a scoring wing that can back up Pierce and is a legit 3 that can match up with the bigger 3's out there. I think Henry would nicely fit this role.
 2. REBOUNDING AND LENGTH. The Lakers exposed one of the Celtics biggest weaknesses, which is rebounding. KG has declined drastically in this area and was imo painful to watch in the finals. I think they need a legit backup center, as big baby lacks the size and length to play above the rim. They need someone who isn't undersized and doesn't get their shots blocked as much as Baby does.
A player who doesn't let guys like Gasol abuse the offensive glass would really improve the team.

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2010, 02:12:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I really like Xavier Henry, although he's been projected in most mocks to go just a bit higher. He has good size at 6-7 and is a good defender as well as a great shooter, which the Celtics have severely lacked off the bench.   One overlooked aspect was the fact that he started for the #1 overall seed in the NCAA tourney.

You mean the #1 overall seed in the tournament that couldn't get past the #9 seed in their regional and into the Sweet Sixteen because none of the star players that will be drafted in this draft did anything worth talking about against a vastly inferior University of Northern Iowa team?

How exactly does being from Kansas help Henry's stock?

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2010, 02:32:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Nobody.  It sounds like Ainge might just sell the pick.

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2010, 02:39:42 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
the 7 footer Alabi from FSU really isn't raw. He is a good shooter from 15, and is a 90% plus from the FT line. Good shot blocker and a really solid man to man defender. I like him more than Whiteside (who is really raw, good shot blocker but that's it)

I hope we land Bradley or Dominique Jones, both of them are studs...especially Bradley

Alabi is my pick for the reasons mentioned by the above poster. How many Centers in the NBA shoot that high of a percentage from the line? Weren't the Lakers playing "Hack a Perk" at points during the series? I believe so.