Author Topic: Who Do You Like at #19?  (Read 15004 times)

Re: Who Do You Like at #19?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 10:43:22 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
the 7 footer Alabi from FSU really isn't raw. He is a good shooter from 15, and is a 90% plus from the FT line. Good shot blocker and a really solid man to man defender. I like him more than Whiteside (who is really raw, good shot blocker but that's it)

I hope we land Bradley or Dominique Jones, both of them are studs...especially Bradley

I know next to nothing about the draft so I don't have any preferences but I've warmed up to Alabi already. 90% FT shooting from a 7 footer is enough to make me an fangurl.

Honestly, my biggest worry about Alabi is that everyone seems to be talking themselves into him.  That is the sign of a bust.

I mean, lets think about it.  The guys who like him describe him as an athletic, dominant interior defender, who is 7'1" and very long, who has a good mid range shot, and is great from the line. 

When you hear that description, where do you think they would go in the draft?  Top 5?  Top 2?

But no, he is being projected in the 20's...and he has risen to get there.

This is not like Roy Hibbert who was talked about as a top 5 pick, returned to school, and dropped after not dominating.  This is a guy who was projected as a second round pick by most people until a month or two ago. 

So if he really can do all those things, why is he projected so low?  Its not like he was playing for a small conference, and people couldn't see him.  And he is not some young guy, who got lost in the shuffle on a loaded team.  He was in the ACC, and played major minutes. 

You know what that tells me?  He is just not that good.  People are falling in love with his size, and his ability to hit a wide open shot, and ignoring the fact that he is just not a very good basketball player. 
I agree. I also saw him a couple three times versus BC and given how small BC is, he never dominated. He never gave me the impression of being an NBA caliber big man.

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 10:51:49 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
the 7 footer Alabi from FSU really isn't raw. He is a good shooter from 15, and is a 90% plus from the FT line. Good shot blocker and a really solid man to man defender. I like him more than Whiteside (who is really raw, good shot blocker but that's it)

I hope we land Bradley or Dominique Jones, both of them are studs...especially Bradley

I know next to nothing about the draft so I don't have any preferences but I've warmed up to Alabi already. 90% FT shooting from a 7 footer is enough to make me an fangurl.

Honestly, my biggest worry about Alabi is that everyone seems to be talking themselves into him.  That is the sign of a bust.

I mean, lets think about it.  The guys who like him describe him as an athletic, dominant interior defender, who is 7'1" and very long, who has a good mid range shot, and is great from the line. 

When you hear that description, where do you think they would go in the draft?  Top 5?  Top 2?

This is not like Roy Hibbert who was talked about as a top 5 pick, returned to school, and dropped after not dominating.  This is a guy who was projected as a second round pick by most people until a month or two ago. 

So if he really can do all those things, why is he projected so low?  Its not like he was playing for a small conference, and people couldn't see him.  And he is not some young guy, who got lost in the shuffle on a loaded team.  He was in the ACC, and played major minutes. 

You know what that tells me?  He is just not that good.  People are falling in love with his size, and his ability to hit a wide open shot, and ignoring the fact that he is just not a very good basketball player. 
I agree. I also saw him a couple three times versus BC and given how small BC is, he never dominated. He never gave me the impression of being an NBA caliber big man.
Florida State was the number one ranked team in the country in defensive efficiency.

Is that down to Alabi? Or were there other top notch defenders on the roster?

Does any one know why Alabi played only 25.6 minutes a night? That seems strange if he was the one who was responsible for their great defense.

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2010, 11:12:32 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Florida State was the number one ranked team in the country in defensive efficiency.

Is that down to Alabi? Or were there other top notch defenders on the roster?

Does any one know why Alabi played only 25.6 minutes a night? That seems strange if he was the one who was responsible for their great defense.

Well the game is a bit different.  Alot of the college starters play in that range.  Also, with only 5 fouls, 2 quick fouls and you sit the whole first half. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2010, 12:20:39 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Chad Ford's newest Mock (v6.0) now has the C's drafting Damion James.  I don't know anything about him, so if someone could elaborate, please....
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2010, 12:25:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Chad Ford's newest Mock (v6.0) now has the C's drafting Damion James.  I don't know anything about him, so if someone could elaborate, please....
Chad Ford finally is listening to me. It's about freaking time.

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2010, 01:31:56 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

Top class athleticism. He has a very polished mid-range game, unblock able turnaround jumper, his range is the college three. Finishes well on the break, AWESOME hands.

Enjoys playing defense, steal and a block per game. Has excellent lateral quickness, can guard multiple positions.

Cons- Ball handling still in question, not a good free throw shooter.

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2010, 01:38:40 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Top class athleticism. He has a very polished mid-range game, unblock able turnaround jumper, his range is the college three. Finishes well on the break, AWESOME hands.

Enjoys playing defense, steal and a block per game. Has excellent lateral quickness, can guard multiple positions.

Sounds like Shawn Marion. Does he really have that potential? (within reason... hehe... not in a Gerald "McGrady" Green way...)

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2010, 01:54:00 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
Chad Ford's newest Mock (v6.0) now has the C's drafting Damion James.  I don't know anything about him, so if someone could elaborate, please....

Sounds like Shawn Marion. Does he really have that potential? (within reason... hehe... not in a Gerald "McGrady" Green way...)

every scout has said Shawn Marion... he’s basically The Matrix Reloaded

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2010, 03:28:08 AM »

Offline Levis107

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 9
The only thing that worries me about Damion James is that he's the next Tony Allen. Lots of similarities in their game, IMO. They both won Big 12 player of the year honors, both have tremendous athleticism but lack ball handling skills and the ability to shoot the long ball. James is bigger and plays a different position, but I don't know...I just get the same vibe from him that I got from Tony coming out of college.

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2010, 03:49:28 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
The only thing that worries me about Damion James is that he's the next Tony Allen. Lots of similarities in their game, IMO. They both won Big 12 player of the year honors, both have tremendous athleticism but lack ball handling skills and the ability to shoot the long ball. James is bigger and plays a different position, but I don't know...I just get the same vibe from him that I got from Tony coming out of college.

I think your confusing two people.

James Anderson won Big 12 player of the year and he’s an excellent shooter/scorer.

Damion James out of Texas lacks the range and handle. But has never won B12 Player of the Year.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:55:15 AM by xmuscularghandix »

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2010, 05:53:50 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I've kind of cooled off on a lot of the bigs in this draft. Sure, they're bountiful this year, but I don't think many (if any) of them really have "it." Favors and Cousins are meh to me and out of our range. Haven't seen enough of Orton to be impressed, Whiteside is rough to say the least. Alabi, I was hot on but he didn't have a terrific combine, I've heard. Could be due to his injury though.

Larry Sanders is the only big left I could say I'm still interested in a little bit. Other than that, I guess we're looking at either Damion James, James Anderson or Eric Bledsoe.

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2010, 06:57:52 AM »

Offline Tw1x990

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 47
I really like James Anderson for this team. Awesome insurence policy for Ray Ray if he decides to leave. One of the FEW players in this years draft who can score, and do it right away.

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2010, 07:36:48 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
I want James Anderson with the #19. If they buy Miami's pick or other late first round, Ekpeh Udoh would be great, but he won't be there available, so Whiteside or Larry Sanders would be great. Orton doesn't seem to be that athletic, and we need bigs that can run and jump and block shots.

Then, with the #52, Da'Sean Butler would be a low risk/high reward bet. I really liked how he performed in the NCAA tournament. If not, that russian 6'6" PG, Shved, could be a good player for the future, a Dragic-type PG. If they go big, Pittman seems like a nice role player for the future, Clifford Ray can do for him what he did for Perk.

Seems like there are quite good players from the late lottery to the second round, and it's not well defined who will be the best out of them. Trust Danny.

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2010, 07:53:05 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Don't like Anderson's defense at all, or the system he comes out of. I'll pass.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2010, 08:44:15 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I hope and think it is possible that Danny trades up to draft Xavier Henry, then buys Miami's pick to draft Larry Sanders.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce