Author Topic: How about these possible Free Agents?  (Read 11926 times)

Re: How about these possible Free Agents?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 02:22:30 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I was wondering about Childress too.

Thing is, if Atlanta loses Johnson, they may be banking on Childress to step in and take a lot of those minutes.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 02:26:41 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Thing is, if Atlanta loses Johnson, they may be banking on Childress to step in and take a lot of those minutes.

Thats a good point. If Johnson leaves Atlanta will have the cash. However the Hawks would really need to replace Johnson's range if they want any success next year. Maybe Miller and Childress as a combo would work.

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 02:27:54 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Amir Johnson is my #1, although I hope they could get him for closer to $3-4 million per year.  He is hitting that age that a lot of big men really start to mature at (he will be 23 in May), and I think he could really benefit from learning from Clifford Ray and Garnett, as well as playing with Rondo, who can take advantage of his athleticism. 

He also was an Ainge guy when he was drafted, and with Perk's injury, and the possibility of Sheed leaving, he would fill a major need. 

I share your Amir amor, but I think Toronto will retain him.  Apparently Colangelo's a big fan and Toronto is starved for some sort of future in the frontcourt with Bosh's certain departure.

Louis Amundson might be a more realistic target for a smaller chunk of the MLE (2 mil sounds about right).  Good open-court player, surprisingly good shot-blocker (without being quite the foul machine that Amir is), and a comparable rebounder to Amir.

I think the Celtics have two burning needs going into free agency and I'd rank the fits like so:

Athletic Rebounder:

1. Tyrus Thomas
2. Amir Johnson
3. Udonis Haslem
4. Louis Amundson
5. James Singleton

Shooting wing
1. Mike Miller
2. Anthony Morrow
3. Travis Outlaw
4. Raja Bell
5. Kyle Korver
5. Keith Bogans
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2010, 02:31:53 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Amir Johnson is my #1, although I hope they could get him for closer to $3-4 million per year.  He is hitting that age that a lot of big men really start to mature at (he will be 23 in May), and I think he could really benefit from learning from Clifford Ray and Garnett, as well as playing with Rondo, who can take advantage of his athleticism. 

He also was an Ainge guy when he was drafted, and with Perk's injury, and the possibility of Sheed leaving, he would fill a major need. 

I share your Amir amor, but I think Toronto will retain him.  Apparently Colangelo's a big fan and Toronto is starved for some sort of future in the frontcourt with Bosh's certain departure.

Louis Amundson might be a more realistic target for a smaller chunk of the MLE (2 mil sounds about right).  Good open-court player, surprisingly good shot-blocker (without being quite the foul machine that Amir is), and a comparable rebounder to Amir.

I think the Celtics have two burning needs going into free agency and I'd rank the fits like so:

Athletic Rebounder:

1. Tyrus Thomas
2. Amir Johnson
3. Udonis Haslem
4. Louis Amundson
5. James Singleton

Shooting wing
1. Mike Miller
2. Anthony Morrow
3. Travis Outlaw
4. Raja Bell
5. Kyle Korver
5. Keith Bogans

While he could stay there, I think there is a chance that the Raptors may need to overpay to keep Amir, and they may not be able to do that. 

He is an unrestricted FA, and I don't think Toronto is the top choice for a lot of players.  If Danny really sells him on playing in Boston with Garnett, and Clifford Ray, he may jump at the opportunity.

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 03:26:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Thats a good point. If Johnson leaves Atlanta will have the cash. However the Hawks would really need to replace Johnson's range if they want any success next year. Maybe Miller and Childress as a combo would work.
Thing is the Hawks could be handicapped by what the ownership wants because they want to sell the team or because they are losing so much money or both. Good read about it here:

Link

They just made their coach the lowest paid coach in the NBA and he has very little experience. That doesn't sound like a franchise that is going to go out of their way to drop big bucks on Joe Johnson or be willing to match a decent offer sheet for Childress.

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 08:25:07 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Too bad Camby might be too much $$$, he is Mr Rebound, he could cover gasol, he is 8'11"....He gets the rebound, ditch BBD in the deal, so we won't have to hope Bynum is out.

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 08:43:22 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Luis Scola great player. The only one "valid' from this list. generally speaking, this team has urgency for 1 or 2 great shooters
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 08:48:35 PM by eugen »

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2010, 08:59:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Luis Scola great player. The only one "valid' from this list. generally speaking, this team has urgency for 1 or 2 great shooters
I love Scola, ask anyone who participated in last year's CB Draft. But there is zero chance of him becoming a Celtic.

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2010, 09:42:03 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Thing is the Hawks could be handicapped by what the ownership wants because they want to sell the team or because they are losing so much money or both. Good read about it here:

Link

They just made their coach the lowest paid coach in the NBA and he has very little experience. That doesn't sound like a franchise that is going to go out of their way to drop big bucks on Joe Johnson or be willing to match a decent offer sheet for Childress.

TP for the link. Yeah, what a mess Atlanta has on their hands.

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2010, 10:02:06 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Link

Nice find, nick. Sounds like the Hawks are poised to go into full-on cost-effective mode.

Without counting Childress (whose rights they still retain) or their incoming 1st rounder, Atlanta has about $47 million in committed payroll next season, which should give them only a little more than the MLE in cap space.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that Johnson is gone. What remains to be seen is whether Hawks management will recoup anything for him via a sign and trade, or whether they would prefer to let him walk and not take on additional payroll.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2010, 11:06:07 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Excellent list, Nick.

How about Dorell Wright?  I'm surprised nobody mentioned him as an intriquing pickup.  He's young, athletic, can shoot, and seems like a real defender at the wing.  Plus, he could probably be gotten pretty cheap.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2010, 11:15:11 PM »

Offline dooyork

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 42
Perk/Sheed
KG/BBD/Scal
PP/Outlaw
Ray/TA/Rookie
Rondo/Nate

We were one freak injury plus a little bit of energy/nastiness/shooting away from the title, so I don't think we need to change much.  The difference between 2010 and 2008 was that Posey was missing.  Outlaw would fill that role much better than Daniels.  After these playoffs, I definitely want to see TA and Nate back.  Experiment with Rondo and Nate together in the backcourt, give Nate some minutes.  Is it a foregone conclusion that Sheed is retiring?  If not, don't blow it up yet, just add some more energy, rest the starters during the regular season, and get ready for another playoff run!  If Perk is out the first half of the year though, that might change the equation.  But, all the more reason to bring Sheed back.  I hope he doesn't retire.
Double rainbow all the way

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2010, 08:28:24 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
I love Scola, ask anyone who participated in last year's CB Draft. But there is zero chance of him becoming a Celtic.

Who knows? MAYBE THE DREAM COMES TRUE!

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 09:31:45 PM »

Offline DinTN

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2010, 09:53:48 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
If Perk is gone for half the season and Sheed is gone altogether I think they have to sign a big man.

Shaq would be a good piece but not the answer.  I'd love to see both O'Neals come in, Shaq and J.O., to form a temporary replacement for Perk and Sheed.  If Perk comes back, great, you move J.O. to the backup 4 and Baby as the backup backup.  I'm sure one of the old guys would be injured at any point in the season so Baby could stay in the rotation.

J.O. and Shaq looked bad against Perk last year, but I don't see much better options for the C's right now at the center spot that could be affordable.

Would they split the midlevel to win a title?  Wouldn't it be great seeing Shaq win a title in green over the Fakers?