Author Topic: How about these possible Free Agents?  (Read 11934 times)

How about these possible Free Agents?
« on: June 20, 2010, 11:34:18 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
How about these guys?

Luis Scola (restricted)
Louis Amundson
Lamarcus Aldridge
Tyrus Thomas
Ronnie Brewer
Rudy Gay
Udonis Haslem

I know wishful thinking but do you think any of them could be had?

Re: How about these possible Free Agents?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 11:52:21 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I'm pretty sure LMA is not a free agent.  He signed a contract extension not so long ago.

I don't think we have much need for Udonis Haslem as long as we have Davis.  Rudy Gay is going somewhere for 10-15 million a year (which we don't have).  Ronnie Brewer might be nice but he's not polished enough offensively to really be a good option for us.  I'd love to get Tyrus Thomas, though again he'd be redundant with Davis, so we'd have to trade him.  Louis Scola is a starting PF, which we already have.

What we need is a young athletic shooting guard / sf with potential who can actually score.  Gay fits that description but he's too expensive, while Brewer isn't a good enough offensive player to really fill that need.

Failing a good wing to be our future replacement for Ray / Paul, we need to get a backup C (especially if Rasheed retires) with youth, athleticism, and the potential to be a good inside scorer.

If the Celtics could get a youngish guy who can hit outside shots consistently while still going to the hoop on the wing, and a big guy who can legit score 10-12+ points per game inside, they'd be golden. 

Pretty tough to get those things, though.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 12:29:46 AM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I want JJ Redick.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 12:45:08 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
MLE or less type free agents(not including Boston Celtics' free agents)

Restricted

Josh Childress
Mario West
Jawad Williams
Linas Kleiza
Chris Hunter
Anthony Morrow
Anthony Tolliver
C. J. Watson
Bobby Brown
Mardy Collins
Adam Morrison
Jordan Farmar
Ronnie Brewer
Nathan Jawai
Josh Boone
Sergio Rodriguez
Mustafa Shakur
J. J. Redick
Patrick Mills
Jon Brockman
Dominic McGuire
Wes Matthews
Kyrylo Fesenko
Cedric Jackson
Cartier Martin
Randy Foye - borderline could get offered more than MLE money by right team

Seriously in this group of RFA there's only a handful that could possibly interest the Celtics enough to tie up some of the MLE for a week waiting to see if the player's team decides to match the contract: Childress, Kleiza, Morrow, Watson, Rodriguez, Redick, or Brewer. Now Kleiza and Childress are overseas and I think both are happy there so rule them out. Golden State is hard to figure as they have to young studs manning their guard positions but also have two interesting talents in Morrow and Watson on the bench. They could let one of them sign elsewhere or maybe accomodate a sign and trade for one of them. Both are limited but intriguing backup role players that could actually develop into starters some day. Redick loves Orlando and the Magic love Redick, I don't see him going anywhere unless someone gets really stupid with an offer. Brewer and Rodriguez I find possibilities and intriguing. They would have to replace Tony and/or Nate and if they do they better be cheaper.

Unrestricted

Keith Bogans
Matt Bonner
Michael Finley
Marcus Haislip
Roger Mason
Ian Mahinmi
Ike Diogu
Aaron Gray
Sean Marks
Steven Hunter
Jamaal Tinsley
Marcus Williams
Brian Cook
Greg Buckner
Brendan Haywood - borderline could accept MLE money from the right team
Tim Thomas
Larry Hughes
Sean May
Dominic McGuire
Kenny Thomas
Ime Udoka
Louis Amundson
Derek Fisher
D.J. Mbenga
Josh Powell
Steve Blake
Bobby Brown
Rasual Butler
Drew Gooden
Travis Outlaw
Kareem Rush
Brian Skinner
Craig Smith
Raja Bell
Speedy Claxton
Devean George
Sundiata Gaines
Kyle Korver
Marcus Camby
Juwan Howard
Chucky Atkins
Mark Blount
Antonio Daniels
Darko Milicic
Aleksandar Pavlovic
Oleksiy Pecherov
Alando Tucker
Damien Wilkins
Malik Allen
Anthony Carter
Joey Graham
Johan Petro
Adonal Foyle
Anthony Johnson
Jason Williams
Joel Anthony
Carlos Arroyo
Yakhouba Diawara
Udonis Haslem
Jermaine O'Neal
Jamaal Magloire
Quentin Richardson
Dorell Wright
Raymond Felton
Stephen Graham
Theo Ratliff
Othello Hunter
Randolph Morris
Joe Smith
Primoz Brezec
Royal Ivey
Luke Ridnour
Jerry Stackhouse
Kurt Thomas
Roko Ukic
Luther Head
Earl Watson
Tarence Kinsey
Shaquille O'Neal
Sebastian Telfair
Devin Brown
Lindsey Hunter
Jerome James
Acie Law
Brad Miller
Jannero Pargo
Ronald Murray
Anthony Roberson
Hakim Warrick
Quincy Douby
Amir Johnson
Pops Mensah-Bonsu
Rasho Nesterovic
Patrick O'Bryant
Francisco Elson
Allen Iverson
Rodney Carney
Chris Duhon
J.R. Giddens
Eddie House
Tracy McGrady
Toney Douglas
Tony Battie
Trenton Hassel
Jarvis Hayes
Chris Quinn
Bobby Simmons
Earl Boykins
Javaris Crittenton
Josh Howard
Shaun Livingston
Mike Miller
Fabricio Oberto
James Singleton
Ryan Bowen
Kevin Ollie
Etan Thomas

Some interesting names here. Also, for teams looking to load up on veteran minimum contract players, like say the Knicks and Heat, there will probably be a bunch of pretty good players available for them. There isn't, IMHO, any guy on this list I would throw a fully loaded MLE contract at(meaning max years, max money for the MLE).

The players in red are ones I would like to see the Celtics explore. Please note that I know they might only be able to sign one to three of these guys, the guys in red are just the ones that I hope they narrow down their list to.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:29:16 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 12:47:26 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Josh Childress is a very interesting idea.  I actually read that he is looking at coming back to play in the USA.  He wanted to last year, but teams weren't really offering players much money because of the economy and uncertainty surrounding the salary cap in the future.

He's young, athletic, and has shown a good deal of promise.  I think if he came back to the NBA and played with a team like the Celtics he could really break out.  It seems like athletic players that go abroad for a while come back with much more polished and well-rounded games.  Plus, he has that afro...which would be awesome.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 01:00:16 AM »

Kiorrik

I'd like Childress.

I love weird personalities. Someone with a 'fro in the NBA counts as "weird" imo :]

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 01:02:08 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Josh Childress is a very interesting idea.  I actually read that he is looking at coming back to play in the USA.  He wanted to last year, but teams weren't really offering players much money because of the economy and uncertainty surrounding the salary cap in the future.

He's young, athletic, and has shown a good deal of promise.  I think if he came back to the NBA and played with a team like the Celtics he could really break out.  It seems like athletic players that go abroad for a while come back with much more polished and well-rounded games.  Plus, he has that afro...which would be awesome.
If he really is interested in returning stateside and the C's offered him a fully loaded MLE, I wonder if the Hawks would let him go? They are embroiled in a possible team sale and the front office is in disarray. Word coming out is that they want to run the team at  a salary level that is less than the salary cap to make it attractive to potential buyers as the team and arena are running heavily in the red every year(like higher than $10 million).

He just turned 27 today and is just entering his prime after a really good year in Europe. If the lure of coming to a championship contending team like the Celtics knowing that in a year or two he would be a starter as Pierce and Ray Allen would be probably gone, that would be huge in a rebuilding on the fly, type of way. Then again, he is signed through next year and if the NBA is locked out for a year, he enjoys the luxury of being able to play next year again in Greece and then signing a one year contract to stay in Europe and then come over after the new CBA is signed without having to worry about going a year without being paid.

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 01:03:44 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Josh Childress is a very interesting idea.  I actually read that he is looking at coming back to play in the USA.  He wanted to last year, but teams weren't really offering players much money because of the economy and uncertainty surrounding the salary cap in the future.

He's young, athletic, and has shown a good deal of promise.  I think if he came back to the NBA and played with a team like the Celtics he could really break out.  It seems like athletic players that go abroad for a while come back with much more polished and well-rounded games.  Plus, he has that afro...which would be awesome.
If he really is interested in returning stateside and the C's offered him a fully loaded MLE, I wonder if the Hawks would let him go? They are embroiled in a possible team sale and the front office is in disarray. Word coming out is that they want to run the team at  a salary level that is less than the salary cap to make it attractive to potential buyers as the team and arena are running heavily in the red every year(like higher than $10 million).

He just turned 27 today and is just entering his prime after a really good year in Europe. If the lure of coming to a championship contending team like the Celtics knowing that in a year or two he would be a starter as Pierce and Ray Allen would be probably gone, that would be huge in a rebuilding on the fly, type of way. Then again, he is signed through next year and if the NBA is locked out for a year, he enjoys the luxury of being able to play next year again in Greece and then signing a one year contract to stay in Europe and then come over after the new CBA is signed without having to worry about going a year without being paid.

Well, I think if he signed with us he'd want a 3 year deal for the full MLE, so the lockout wouldn't be an issue (except for the not playing part, but I don't think many players are concerned about that).

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 01:08:44 AM »

Offline Kenhov

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 17
What about Josh Howard ?

I would love to have Howard, Beasley (as a project) and someone like Hassan WhiteSide or Larry Sanders on the roster along with a Terrico White or another young player with upside.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 01:10:24 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
TP for the list D and Nick.

I knew our options were limited but these are slim pickings indeed. Especially since some of them will probably re-sign with their teams or get offered more than the vet min. Would love to see 3 or 4 of those highlighted names on our bench next season. I'm pretty sure Camby signed an extension already though.

Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 01:12:42 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Josh Childress is a very interesting idea.  I actually read that he is looking at coming back to play in the USA.  He wanted to last year, but teams weren't really offering players much money because of the economy and uncertainty surrounding the salary cap in the future.

He's young, athletic, and has shown a good deal of promise.  I think if he came back to the NBA and played with a team like the Celtics he could really break out.  It seems like athletic players that go abroad for a while come back with much more polished and well-rounded games.  Plus, he has that afro...which would be awesome.

Well, I think if he signed with us he'd want a 3 year deal for the full MLE, so the lockout wouldn't be an issue (except for the not playing part, but I don't think many players are concerned about that).
Why just three years? I doubt at 30 years old he would be worth more than the $7.5 and $8 million he would be making in the last two years of his contract. I just don't think he is worth more than MLE money in an open market. If he signs a 5 year MLE contract he makes much more than the MLE in his final 2 years. But in returning to the open market at 30 years old, unless he's a 20 PPG scorer and better rebounder than he has ever shown before during those 3 years, he will once again return to the open market as an MLE as the maximum salary for him type player, hence losing money in those first two years. It would behoove him to max out this first contract upon returning stateside and I don't see that what he has done in Europe or here warrants more than MLE money.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 01:16:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
What about Josh Howard ?

I would love to have Howard, Beasley (as a project) and someone like Hassan WhiteSide or Larry Sanders on the roster along with a Terrico White or another young player with upside.
Sorry, mix up on my end. Should have included him

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 01:17:06 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
How is othello harrington considered a free agent. I feel like I am technically a free agent.

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 01:19:55 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Marcus Camby would be an awesome player even though he is old.

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 01:24:32 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Sundiata Gaines for the minimum.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale