Author Topic: Prospect workouts by team  (Read 6190 times)

Prospect workouts by team
« on: June 20, 2010, 01:06:35 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Just ran across this, and thought it might be interesting to any of you drafnicks.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2010-nba-draft-workout-master-list

Anyone know anything about Marqus Blakely - he worked out on back to back days with the C's.

Re: Prospect workouts by team
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 07:45:19 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Blakely is an under sized 4 from vermont (6'6 225 really lon arms). He has the physical potential to become a lock down defender at the SF. He also was the college dunk champion.

I dont believe that list of workouts is complete. However with the playoff run it is possible that the Cs havent had the time to try out more guys. Based on that list I have to believe the Cs like D Jones or they just dont want to tip there hand yet.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 10:38:58 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
One thing to remember about workouts these days is that teams have started combining them to make their own pre-draft camps.  I know Danny has been in attendance at some workouts for other teams, and that allows him to see more guys, even if he can't organize for them to come to Boston.  So while it looks like Boston has only had a few guys in, they have really worked out many more, just not in their own facility.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 11:37:55 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Was just looking at this kid Hassan Whiteside from marshall.. Really like his game he is 7 foot 230 but has a 7;6 wingspan. Averaged 5.4 blocks a game in college. Could be a good young guy to have if Perk is gunna be ready for next year.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 12:22:26 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous
I'm a Big East guy, and love DOMINIQUE JONES. He reminds me of a poor man's DWade. Great scorer, just not as explosive.

I also love Avery Bradley's game, I think he has Allen Iverson type ability. I'd love to move up and get him....

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 01:39:43 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
I'm a Big East guy, and love DOMINIQUE JONES. He reminds me of a poor man's DWade. Great scorer, just not as explosive.

Just looked at nbadraft.net's profile on him.  He does seem good.  Would be nice for this team too, spelling Ray Allen.

What do you think of Devin Ebanks?  He might also be a good fit, adding more athleticism, and someone to spell Pierce.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 02:35:31 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I remember reading that DA is not a big fan of workouts. I found this quote from 2007:

Celtics Executive Director of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge isn't too worried about it, as he stressed that the workouts are more designed for his coaching staff to get to see the players in person and also to get a chance to talk to them about life on and off the court. But as far as evaluating basketball abilities, Ainge reiterated that the workouts aren't incredibly valuable for him.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/draft/notes061107-workouts-noah-wright.html

So, I wouldn't view that list as very informative, from the C's point of view anyway.

I suspect that on draft night we will all hear the C's pick, have a "Huh?" moment, then read about the kid and decide that Ainge has once again demonstrated his genius.

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 03:17:32 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday

Just looked at nbadraft.net's profile on him.  He does seem good.  Would be nice for this team too, spelling Ray Allen.

What do you think of Devin Ebanks?  He might also be a good fit, adding more athleticism, and someone to spell Pierce.

I like Ebanks too, he has alot of potential to be a lockdown defender. Good athleticism, nice jumpshot (much improved from freshman season), long and rangy (defense)...only 2 dislikes on him, his handle (none at all) and him being so skinny. 2 things that he can improve on though. reminds me of Ariza.

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 09:32:39 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Ive though for a while that DOMINIQUE JONES could be a steal. If the Cs let nate walk and keep TA Jones and TA could spell Ray (if resigned) and rondo. Jones seems capable of playing an arenas type PG a few minutes a game and give us offence of the bench. TA and Jones would also give us a big physical pair of guards creating a nice contrast to rondo and ray
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 03:53:47 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
Add Lazar Hayward as another Big East guy i'd like to get in the 2nd round. Played the 4 and some 5 at Marquette, but can play the 3. He has one if not the best jumpshot in the draft, doesn't do much off the dribble, but he's a very smart player and uses old school tactics on the court when mismatched or overmatched. Really like his overall game.

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 03:59:01 PM »

Offline EmilioBonilla

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 8
I don't think Xavier Henry will be available at #19, but this guy is going to be really good in a few years, depending on the C's direction, I think we should find a way to move up the draft to get him.
I bleed Green

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 04:32:29 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
I remember reading that DA is not a big fan of workouts. I found this quote from 2007:

Celtics Executive Director of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge isn't too worried about it, as he stressed that the workouts are more designed for his coaching staff to get to see the players in person and also to get a chance to talk to them about life on and off the court. But as far as evaluating basketball abilities, Ainge reiterated that the workouts aren't incredibly valuable for him.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/draft/notes061107-workouts-noah-wright.html

So, I wouldn't view that list as very informative, from the C's point of view anyway.

I suspect that on draft night we will all hear the C's pick, have a "Huh?" moment, then read about the kid and decide that Ainge has once again demonstrated his genius.

I know I had that "Huh?" moment when J.R. Giddens was drafted by us. It's still a "Huh?" moment to me now. Him and Bill Walker never panned out to be able to really crack our rotation. If they were impressive enough, they would've, but didn't.

I'm hoping Ainge drafts a Center, as we all just witnessed us getting pounded on the boards by the Lakers, and were one of the worst rebounding teams in the league this year.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 04:39:36 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
I know I had that "Huh?" moment when J.R. Giddens was drafted by us. It's still a "Huh?" moment to me now.

Watch out.  There's another New Mexico player who is projected to go somewhere in the second round.  Darington Hobson.  http://www.nbadraft.net/players/darington-hobson

You think Ainge would go back to that well again?  LOL

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 04:42:19 PM »

Offline EmilioBonilla

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 8
I know I had that "Huh?" moment when J.R. Giddens was drafted by us. It's still a "Huh?" moment to me now.

Watch out.  There's another New Mexico player who is projected to go somewhere in the second round.  Darington Hobson.  http://www.nbadraft.net/players/darington-hobson

You think Ainge would go back to that well again?  LOL

No haha not at all. I don't know what late pick we have, but if we have something in the fifties, I think we should draft sherron collins. Another Jayhawk pg who'll be a good backup, maybe great pg, especially behind rajon
I bleed Green

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 04:43:36 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't think Xavier Henry will be available at #19, but this guy is going to be really good in a few years, depending on the C's direction, I think we should find a way to move up the draft to get him.
Agreed, at the same time he will be able to drain open 3's immediately. While it should take a while for him to pull the entire package together, he should be able to contribute immediately.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19